Quite the low stump for a west coast faller, with a half wrap no less!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, I'll try to explain. Sometimes in soft wood, like sugar pine or ponderosa, the kerf will load up with chips. I've found that it happens to me mostly if I'm running full comp and trying to push a little too hard. I've had chips gum up so bad that they got in between the chain and the rail...and that was because I was running a chain that should have been changed and wasn't . If you have your bar buried to the tip in a long top buck or when you're backing one up it seems to help if you lay off the cut for just a second and blip the saw with no cutting load on it...it seems to clear the chain better and keep the kerf clean. It usually works. Usually.

I don't say yes or no to blipping the throttle...some guys just cut that way. I worked with some guys last season and one of them was a throttle blipper...you could always tell where he was just by the sound of his saw. He got as much on the ground as anybody.

I always called them "throttle jockeys" :)

Without hearing myself work, I can't help but secretly wonder how much throttle blipping I do. Easing tension off wood limbing, maybe touching up a hinge as she starts to go, ####, am I? Hopefully not too bad, I'll let you know right off. #### off if the consensus is yes.
:cheers:

Without hearing myself work, I can't help but secretly wonder how much throttle blipping I do. Easing tension off wood limbing, maybe touching up a hinge as she starts to go, ####, am I? Hopefully not too bad, I'll let you know right off. #### off if the consensus is yes.
:cheers:

I was just wondering the same thing.

I tend to "blip" the throttle more the closer to the hinge i get. Im wondering the need for two saws on a 4' ish tree on level ground with lots of spectators. It had to be close enough enough to the crummy for gas and oil close by. Very low and and nice stump and tip though, except the hump that bucked the top out, lol jk.

Some guys are just serial blippers without purpose too though... for the sound of it, or whatever. I worked for a while with one such mouth breather. Didn't want to be anywhere near him as we were always working in tight quarters on residential work, and he had a habit of blipping out of the cut while slinging his saw around, very sloppy saw handling and dangerous considering all the groundies around. I always took care to not be anywhere around the guy, but one day the inevitable happened. We were ripping up some big logs to get them out the gate and into the chipper and while I was ripping a barrel the guy ended up behind me ripping another and facing away from me. Pulled his saw out of the cut and blipped a couple times, I had a weird feeling then turned around just in time to see him slinging it behind him, chain still rolling. Hit me in the leg with it just as the chain rolled to a stop. I was wearing chaps. No harm, but he felt the contact and turned round face white as a sheet. It got whiter in the few minutes that followed.

I don't work with that guy anymore.

I like how he uses the most of the wood possible and keeps the stumps low. It makes the cutter, the mil, and the landowner a lot happier! :msp_smile:

It was flat ground and the tree had little butt swell, easy to cut low.

So if a big tree has some huge butt swell, a logger would make the face and back cuts above said butt swell so it won't interfere with the direction guidance of the face cut?

So if a big tree has some huge butt swell, a logger would make the face and back cuts above said butt swell so it won't interfere with the direction guidance of the face cut?

Often, yes, but not always:

Photo333.jpg

In some areas that would depend on stump height rules.

In Alaska, what's stump height?

Not sawing through the flare saves time and the trunk is where the rot or twisted grain might be.

And the stumpgrinder..

Bob...:cheers:

Not much stump grinding in the logging woods.

not much logginng in the grinding woods.

at least around here. f the machines. tennis shoe loggers should stay in the gravel pit from where they came from. sad.

Back