Racked up some nice FREE saws today...(partner, Stihl, etc)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, I paid $35.00 for a NEW IN THE BOX saw that has yet to fail to start on a couple pulls, it has yet to fail me in any way shape or form. Id say I got more than I paid for, would you?

Also, if the kit lasts forever, then it is sufficient, and paying more than 3X as much would be uncalled for....right?

I still dont get why people knock the Wild Thing. I see a bunch of em burnt up, so Im sure yall do too...but it's almost always USER ERROR. I see, and own a few Burnt up Stihls, such as this 450.00 MS-260. This saw has NOT been abused, at least not obviously. It looks like it was well cared for, Id go as far as to call it babied. But it's burnt the hell up, BAD.:(

I thought you picked-up the "panty dropper" on a repair that a customer failed to come back and pick-up? Or, was that a different one?

Over priced? I know some dealers jack their prices up, heck that's every brand. Try shopping around. That $90 kit may last forever but just like your "panty dropper" you get what ya pay for.

I see the Bailey's kits have a 1 year warranty. That is not much of a risk anymore.

Yup, I paid $35.00 for a NEW IN THE BOX saw that has yet to fail to start on a couple pulls, it has yet to fail me in any way shape or form. Id say I got more than I paid for, would you?

Also, if the kit lasts forever, then it is sufficient, and paying more than 3X as much would be uncalled for....right?

I still dont get why people knock the Wild Thing. I see a bunch of em burnt up, so Im sure yall do too...but it's almost always USER ERROR. I see, and own a few Burnt up Stihls, such as this 450.00 MS-260. This saw has NOT been abused, at least not obviously. It looks like it was well cared for, Id go as far as to call it babied. But it's burnt the hell up, BAD.:(

If you were a tech then you would be able to tell us why the 260 is scored. C'mon Red let's hear it Echo boy:buttkick:

I think you're right...I recall now.

I'm right. Just one of the unfortunate soul's that gets a kick out of reading what he posts. It's all pretty comical.I guess he got banned on the vette forum and now he's back.

ummm....actually they do fail. Got one I just replaced that wonderfully pleaseant accordian fuel line on..and that invincible screw thing was bent, and made the whole cover tweak when you tried to turn it....

Bent stud in the cylinder top??? lolol it must have been run over buy a truck.

If you were a tech then you would be able to tell us why the 260 is scored. C'mon Red let's hear it Echo boy:buttkick:

I didnt get a good look at it. just did a compression test, and took a peek down the plug hole.

I saw some scoring around the exhaust port, but nothing severe. Never took the muffler off, never pulled the carb, just did what I said above. I determined that it's not going to be one that you pull it a few times and the rings unstick and compression goes from 70 to 150...which has happened. This top end is actually worn out.

The scoring didnt look like raw fuel induced, not that severe. Stale gas is a possibily, but I didnt see any obvious signs, but my vantage point wasnt optimal.

Again regardless, It's in a bad way inside. On the ouside, you could run a rag over it, put on a new bar and chain and pass it off as a demonstrator.

----

As for the 35 dollar Wild Thing, It's done its fair share of work, and like I said, it's still kicking. Ive said it before, Ill give it praise until it lets me down, at which point Ill bash it to no end.

The CS-520 is the saw I got when a customer welched out on a repair. Bar, Chain, cleanup, and Brake band...Bill came to about 135.00 with Tax...I was told to keep it under 150, which I did.

He gave me all sorts of excuses why he couldnt pay. Been 18 months. I love that saw.:ices_rofl:

Ive had to explain more than once to customers why their equipment is DOA. In fact I had to explain to a lady why here Echo PB-200 was Non-repairable. Wouldnt crank, did a compression test. Came back about 70psi as I recall. Echo says 90-140 is good. So I pulled the plug and see scoring. Pulled the muffler and the piston is Very darb brown, and black. It's done roasted. Pretty clear to me it was run on old nasty gas at one point in its life, also appeared to have been run too lean as well, which could have been caused by the bad gas.

Ive got a few Wild Things with cooked cylidners under my desk for parts...all are so cooked you cant find the ring on the exhaust side of the piston. Is that a POULAN error? Nope, the aluma-sil is good stuff and holds up well when cared for. But when folks dump un-mixed gas in. It cooks em every time.

I can take a 100 dollar poulan, 450 dollar Echo, and a 600 dollar Stihl, and give them to inexperienced users, and the 2 high dollar saws wont last any longer than the "disposable" saw, simply because they arent any less resistant to misuse. Stihls need oil just like Echos, and Poulans. They burn pistons, as seen on my 036.

Bent stud in the cylinder top??? lolol it must have been run over buy a truck.

Not that I can tell. It is also a fairly clean saw, seem some hard use, but it has held up well.

The top, filter housing, recoil, and bar cover all look to be original, or about the same age. I E nothing has been replaced recently.

Good little saw, just the rubber line split where that huge fuel filter went on, filter fell off, line picked up out of the fuel, no start.:rock:

I'm right. Just one of the unfortunate soul's that gets a kick out of reading what he posts. It's all pretty comical.I guess he got banned on the vette forum and now he's back.

Not banned on the Vette forum, just picked up a couple saws today, thought Id come visit my Saw enthusiast freinds.

Does someone have a pic of a old partner 500.thanks,I cut with 1 years ago, had alot of power and was very smooth, would like to have 1

Last edited:
There is Black 500's and Yellow ones. Here is a black 500 and a 5000 together. The 500 in yellow looks just like 5000, with one less 0 on the top cover. :)
e14c2853.jpg

There is Black 500's and Yellow ones. Here is a black 500 and a 5000 together. The 500 in yellow looks just like 5000, with one less 0 on the top cover. :)
e14c2853.jpg

okay, then mine is for sure a Black 500, it is identical to the one in your pic.

What is the signifigance of the saws color?

----

Also, Ill get pics after Christmas. Gotta clean up the 260 a little. The plastic is clean, but you know how it does after it sits up a long time...has lost it's glimmer.

Ill clean it top to bottom and hit it with some Clear acrylic enamel...or as we call it..."Turd polish":popcorn:

I thought you said the saw was in mint condition ??

Why would you want, or need to spray it with clear spray paint ??

I like to keep my saws clean, but I also use them.

Ive never seen a mint condition saw that had a fried engine.

Last time I checked mint condition meant as new.

If your famed "Panty dropper" is in mint condition, I guess it does not get much use.

I cut about 4 face cords last weekend with my Homelite 925 & Stihl 026 & split it up today.

I guess if I was running a wild thing instead of the stihl I would have been done sooner.

Heck, if I got rid of the 925 & got an Echo, I would have been done in less than half the time.

----

Also, Ill get pics after Christmas. Gotta clean up the 260 a little. The plastic is clean, but you know how it does after it sits up a long time...has lost it's glimmer.

Ill clean it top to bottom and hit it with some Clear acrylic enamel...or as we call it..."Turd polish":popcorn:[/QUOTE]

Latest posts

Back