Racked up some nice FREE saws today...(partner, Stihl, etc)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well arent you wound up?

It's mint in that it's all there, unmolested, no gouges or broken peices, the bar cover isnt all clogged with trash. It's burnt up though..It looks like it was taken care of while being used, just wasnt taken care of as far as tune is concerned.

When Stihls sit up, as in a warehouse where this one came from, the glossy finish, as seen on NEW saws on the showroom loses it's glimmer and the finish appears dull. No problem with the plastics though, they are still in tip top shape, it just doesnt shine.

like on a car after it gets some years on it, and the clear coat goes bad...it needs to be cleaned up and re-cleared.

The Partner though, doesnt need any cosmetic attention. I cut some seasoned hickory with it this afternoon, just messing around, and I am still amazed at how smooth it feels. Needs a carb kit though, slightly lean up top.

The Bar on the Stihl is a Stihl bar, cant make out the words, but it looks like E-matic or something?

Bar on the Partner is black, no visible words. The chain on the partner appears new, no evidence of sharpening. Went through the hickory quickly.

Ill put a jug and piston on the Stihl, polish it up, spray on some clear, new bar and freshen the chain and it will essentially be like new.

The Wild Thing is in great shape, but it does actually get used. God forbid I should maintain a saw that's not worth over 400 dollars. After I use it, EVERYTIME, I pull the chain/bar. Clean the kerf, blow out the oil holes, clean around the clutch, and blow out the air filter. Give it a blowing off with the air hose, and put it back together. I want to see how long a "disposable" can last with proper care. So far, Im impressed. Would I run out to it to cut 4 face cords of wood...probably not. No anti-vibe on this one, and your hands would be long past numb after one cord. In other words you would give up, long before it did.

026 and CS-520 are nearly identical in displacement...comes down to personal preference. Id go with the Echo.

Well arent you wound up?..................

Mike is not wound up he is simply pointing out the inconsistencies in your posts. It appears you want to provide excuses instead of pictures. Who cares if they are dirty. The only reason to care is if you were trying to sell them. If that is your intention then you need to post in a different forum. A quick snap of a pic is not hard to do.

Bill

Mike is not wound up he is simply pointing out the inconsistencies in your posts. It appears you want to provide excuses instead of pictures. Who cares if they are dirty. The only reason to care is if you were trying to sell them. If that is your intention then you need to post in a different forum. A quick snap of a pic is not hard to do.

Bill

Lurk more.

No digi-cam, my Computer wont let me upload from an external source.

I have to physically take pics on 35mm, have them developed to a hard disc, and upload them to my harddrive one at a time. Ive done it 2 seperate times now because internet nut swingers kept calling me out on various things...one site doubted I had a corvette, so I proved em wrong, one site doubted I had a load of old Garden Tractors, so I proved em wrong, And a few members on this site doubted the list in my Signiture, so I proved yall wrong.

Im sick of having to prove stuff to total strangers, who after proven wrong, after I go through the trouble, act like nothing ever happened.

No sense in me taking pics now, (27 mind you) taking them into town for developing, picking them up, and going through the mess of loading them to my HD, then loading to Photobucket, only to have to do the whole thing all over again once I get them all fancied up and looking, running perfectly.

Wanna know what the 500 looks like? Look in the pic posted a few posts up..it looks exactly like that, just as clean.

The MS-260...go to stihls website, look for a MS-260, it looks like that, just a little weathered and needing a piston.cylinder.

As before, when Im all done, Ill post pics, until then, Bear with me.

Red: Bill is right, Im not wound up, Im just pokin some fun at ya.

Dont take it all that serious. We all have our likes & dislikes when it comes to saws.

As long as you are happy with what you have & what you do with them, that is all that counts.

On the other hand, as Bill said: Post some pics if you can.

I hope Santa brings you a truckload of wild things.

All you guys that can grab your digi-cam, run out, point and click, run in, upload, and have pics online in 3 minutes, I envy you.

But this computer runs great and besides the OS problem making it so I can upload by way of the USB port, its a great computer. All custom stuff, big fans, High speed modem etc...No point in replacing it at a cost of $500+, just so I can post pics every now and then..

When this thing dies...Ill replace it.

Red: Bill is right, Im not wound up, Im just pokin some fun at ya.

Dont take it all that serious. We all have our likes & dislikes when it comes to saws.

As long as you are happy with what you have & what you do with them, that is all that counts.

On the other hand, as Bill said: Post some pics if you can.

I hope Santa brings you a truckload of wild things.

Ive got a truckload Im taking to the landfill after Christmas...all burnt up cylinders. Stripped off the recoils, mufflers, and carbs...the rest goes in the can. People pay good $$ for perfect used carbs, clean unrusted mufflers, and it's easier to take a dozen like new recoils, put rope on them, and have them ready so I can just bolt em on real fast instead of having to wind them up with the customer breathing down my neck.

That is very interesting. Where is the Polaroid Digital camera?

Do what?

I usually use my old faithful Canon T-50 35mm, it works well. When I dont feel like lugging that heavy monster around, I pickup a disposable.

Ive actually got a Polaroid Spectra from probably 1988 or so...still takes perfect pictures.

The Partner though, doesnt need any cosmetic attention. I cut some seasoned hickory with it this afternoon, just messing around, and I am still amazed at how smooth it feels. Needs a carb kit though, slightly lean up top.

You do realize that some of the carbs on the 500 and 5000's came with a carb governor built into them. Also most of mine run 12,500K-12,800K before going to lean. Only had one so far that would move along at 13,200K without showing lean on the plug.
Get you a tach and check it or look at your plug. Carb kits are cheap for the little carbs on these saws.

Since Red leaves us hanging out to dry for weeks on end waiting for pics of the 500 and 260.
Here is some old videos of a 500 with carb issues and a 5000 I bought as a non running parts saw and got it running and sold, also with carb issues. Both needed carb kits.
The a pic of some of my 5000's and 1 500.

Copyofpartners005.jpg

Copyofpartners004.jpg

You do realize that some of the carbs on the 500 and 5000's came with a carb governor built into them. Also most of mine run 12,500K-12,800K before going to lean. Only had one so far that would move along at 13,200K without showing lean on the plug.
Get you a tach and check it or look at your plug. Carb kits are cheap for the little carbs on these saws.

Got a tach, It's going lean under 10K. It needs a rebuild, badly.

What is this "carb governor" never seen one. just the air vane style on older saws, and such as that.

Looking at the left side of carb from the rear. It will have a brass plug on the left side with a screwdriver slot. Some carbs have them some dont. At a certain rpm's it will seem to flood the carbs out. You can remove the brass plug and fill the carb hole up and put a plug back in to get rid of the governor if your has one.

Stihl Crazy knows more on this subject, pm if you need more info.

If you want some new Partner branded bars for the 500 and 5000 let me know.

Bill

If you want some new Partner branded bars for the 500 and 5000 let me know.

Bill

Give me a pm for a look see Bill.
You know you just bought a lot of 5-6 bars that I only wanted the roller nose out of all those bars in the auction and you out bid me by a penny. :laugh: :cheers: :laugh:

Give me a pm for a look see Bill.
You know you just bought a lot of 5-6 bars that I only wanted the roller nose out of all those bars in the auction and you out bid me by a penny. :laugh: :cheers: :laugh:

I just threw a bid on them. All I am after is the roller bar also. They are getting a little tougher to find. I run across long bars with the larger nose in them but I hate to pull those out. I wouldn't think it would be that hard for Cannon or Chain Bar Repair to build some as I believe the demands would be high.

I will try to attach a pic of the Partner bar. They are 18" .325/.058 non replacable.

Bill

I will try to attach a pic of the Partner bar. They are 18" .325/.058 non replacable.

Bill

That would look good on a saw up on the shelf for restore purposes Bill.

But I use mine when needed and only have one that is running 058 right now. When its all said and done I want to get all of them to 050 and 3/8's someday, some still have the 325 on them also for now.

If I ever tuck one up on a shelf, I will contact you.

All you guys that can grab your digi-cam, run out, point and click, run in, upload, and have pics online in 3 minutes, I envy you.

But this computer runs great and besides the OS problem making it so I can upload by way of the USB port, its a great computer. All custom stuff, big fans, High speed modem etc...No point in replacing it at a cost of $500+, just so I can post pics every now and then..

When this thing dies...Ill replace it.
In this day and age there is no reason to go without a dig cam. However, there are a few solutions for your situation. Get on ebay and get one of the older S0ny mavica cameras that use floppy disks.

Look for drivers for your computer that will allow your usb to work correctly.

Get a dig cam and go to walmart. Their machine will read off of most media, and they will put it on a cd for you for pennies per picture.

Pictures are a very useful tool for computers. I keep tons of them on mine. If nothing else, they allow you to catalog your life for looking back on. I'm amazed how many things I've done and forgotten and how many memories I get from just looking through my pictures folder on my computer. If you have a computer, you owe it to yourself to get dig picture capability.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-Mavica-MVC-FD73-0-35-FAST-shipping_W0QQitemZ300184972293QQihZ020QQcategoryZ3339QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There are a whole bunch of these on ebay for cheap. This one takes a standard 3.5" floppy. The quality is fine for internet pictures. My sister had one of these and used it for years. They were not cheap cameras when they came out. She paid somewhere around $400 for hers.

If you don't have a floppy drive, you can get one of these that burn directly to a disk. They are a little higher though, but they also have much higher resolution.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-MVC-CD500-Camera-with-Box-27-New-Discs_W0QQitemZ180199451684QQihZ008QQcategoryZ107893QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I tore the MS260 apart today....

The cylinder cleaned up with a light honing, to me it looks great. you can feel any flaws, however the metal below and near the exhaust port looks.."different"...

The piston is DOA. The rings were melted in the ring lands, piston skirt on the exh. side had a large amount of distortion and transfer. It got HOT. Id guess either a brainfart and the owner went no mix for a few cuts before he realized, or the owner just never let the saw warm up from COLD, and just went to cutting.

Regardless, it's all cleaned up. Saw looks great. IT got a good soaking, and a power washing. The case is so bright! The plastics got a good scrubbing, then I sealed em with the Laceur clear coat, nice and shiny with a hardshell finish! Only thing left is to put on new rope for good measure, clean up the recoil, and replace the piston. Depending on price, I may just go OE STIHL.

Back