rain or snow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I would rather work in the...

• Rain

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Snow

Votes: 33 84.6%
  • Sleet / hail

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Since the winter season will be coming up in another month or two I figured that I would ask this question. For those of you in the south, I guess you can't vote in this... sorry :( Anywho... if you had to pick the form of precipitation you would rather recieve while working in the trees, would it be snow or rain? I think that valid arguements can be made for both forms.

As far as urban tree work the rain definitely because of my current locale when it snows it is difficult to get around due to all the car wrecks. Then again in winter in the woods here the trees get loaded pretty good with wet snow and sometimes it can knock you on your butt when it comes out from up high. So the rain sucks but its just rain.

I prefer to just stay home on those days but when I have to work in inclement weather I prefer snow. I can stay drier during a snowstorm than in a rainstorm.

Well, I'm not supposed to be voting, but we have all three down here. They are far and few between, but when they arrive we know it. Sometimes it will last a week, or longer.:D

I picked snow!:blob2:

Snow it is. And for good reason....it brushes right off as long as the temps stay below freezing. Upper 30s is a mixed blessing - not quite so cold, but you're sloshing around in crapola.

Gore-Tex, Mon

Snow, I've been looking forward to it since July.

I use tarps, so for the Winter I lose my old beat-up rags and get new tarps. They slide really well on the snow.

A friend of mine, who is also a climber, he has been eating habanero peppers whole lately. So, with that in mind, I threw the hail / sleet one in there for those who are into pain and what not.

Originally posted by Nickrosis
Snow it is. And for good reason....it brushes right off as long as the temps stay below freezing. Upper 30s is a mixed blessing - not quite so cold, but you're sloshing around in crapola.

Snow wins. The rain is too hard to keep put of things - me, the equipment, and just about everything else for that matter. Of course, I do not get much snow here but then again I have had an odd job or two up in the surrounding mountains...

SNOW HANDS DOWN

It is drier, drier equals warmer. PBTREE are you in Pacific Beach? I am in Jamul and volunteer in the Cuyamacas.

Carrying a saw and PPE and crap uphill thru the snow a mile at 5000+ feet and then cutting in the shaded side of a mountain is challanging, rewarding, fun.....and a PITA!!!!

Dave
Jamul
Upper BC wannabe!

holy crap

You are now in the lead for the Manly Man Pita Tree Job competition, certainly Snow Division, but mebbe overall......;)

Snow and not a blizard. Gee, I don't want to think about the winter. I know, and I will, it just takes me some time to accept it.

Jack

Corrupting my equipment

No, that saw became a piece of scientific apparatus. I had to plunge-cut slot holes into logs. It's one of the many ways I've found to keep from doing actual tree work.

The 14" bar on a Husky 394XP.... has better power than your average saw with a 14" bar.

I needed to create 1,400 plunge cuts in a few logs. The regular 24" bar was giving me too much in the way of kickback. So I cut the middle section out of the bar, welded it back together, and built a custom-length 3/8 .058 full chisel chain and then ground the raker teeth completely off . What a gas! It's like the sawed-off shotgun version of a chainsaw.

(Not recommended for children under the age of five).

It was just a biology experiment, and the saw performed exceptionally.

Anyway, the point was the Blizzard Lizard, or blizard for short. This is a double derail, what was the topic again?
17418.jpg

Snow!! I pick my snow assingment on Wed. When it snows, we go to snow mode. I ussually run a plow. When it is done we go back to the trees. It is great to not have to climb during a snow storm. The over time is OK too!

Back