Rare Find?? Early 044W $350 on c/l

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrigT262

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
20151006_172734.jpg 20151006_172757.jpg 20151006_172814.jpg 20151006_200332.jpg So I was surfing through cl last week when I stumbled upon a heart stopper. An all original early 044W with very low hrs. Receipt in hand for original purchase. It's in really nice shape & was hardly used.
I wanted to post the saw pics & ask if anyone is familiar with this early model? It has a black kill switch, early model chain type filler caps, low ser#, and has the KS 1+ top end. Also smaller dual falling spikes with a oem rubber chip deflector on the side cover. Also, it doesn't have the clear fuel tank. I've never seen this before & was wondering if anyone was familiar with this early design or is this a CA thing? Ser# is 119460374.
Is this saw a true rare find?
(I put the dual port muffler on myself. I got the saw completely original).:chainsaw:

Similar saw to this sold for 1k...thats one thousand US dollars today in the trading post......and did so in very short order. So how well did you do.....l think very well cosidering you obtained it without a gun and mask!lol

View attachment 452093 View attachment 452094 View attachment 452095 View attachment 452096 So I was surfing through cl last week when I stumbled upon a heart stopper. An all original early 044W with very low hrs. Receipt in hand for original purchase. It's in really nice shape & was hardly used.
I wanted to post the saw pics & ask if anyone is familiar with this early model? It has a black kill switch, early model chain type filler caps, low ser#, and has the KS 1+ top end. Also smaller dual falling spikes with a oem rubber chip deflector on the side cover. Also, it doesn't have the clear fuel tank. I've never seen this before & was wondering if anyone was familiar with this early design or is this a CA thing? Ser# is 119460374.
(I put the dual port muffler on myself. I got the saw completely original).:chainsaw:
Nice find

View attachment 452093 View attachment 452094 View attachment 452095 View attachment 452096 So I was surfing through cl last week when I stumbled upon a heart stopper. An all original early 044W with very low hrs. Receipt in hand for original purchase. It's in really nice shape & was hardly used.

Great Score!

I gave up on Craigslist here in Utah after consistently being disappointed by the overpriced Pawn Shop turds, and the $500 Husqvarna 455's and Stihl MS290's....... It's nice to see something worthwhile posted occasionally. I guess I'll have to go back to checking every now and then.

The saw was listed on c/l inland empire , CA. When I called on it, of course the seller started out with ," well I do have another guy...". I waited until after 5 when the "other guy" was supposed to come & buy it. Lucky for me , he never showed. I literally had to beg the seller to box it up and ship it to me (N UT). He bought it brand new in 11/89 and only used it occasionally on some property he owned. I was sure it'd be all gummed up and rank. Gassed it and it fired right up , idled perfect. SWEET!! So i went ahead and broke it completely down, new hoses, carb kit, plug, hot water (low) pressure wash, new rim. Holy crap. Has monster compression and just runs so sweet. Truly a great find.
But upon closer inspection, it does seem like the dealer may have installed an oem wrap bar. The rubber chip deflector & outboard spike do not have a stihl part number and so it may not be a true west coast 044W after all. Has anyone seen an early model come equipped like this one? He told me he bought it exactly as it stands.

The saw was listed on c/l inland empire , CA. When I called on it, of course the seller started out with ," well I do have another guy...". I waited until after 5 when the "other guy" was supposed to come & buy it. Lucky for me , he never showed. I literally had to beg the seller to box it up and ship it to me (N UT). He bought it brand new in 11/89 and only used it occasionally on some property he owned. I was sure it'd be all gummed up and rank. Gassed it and it fired right up , idled perfect. SWEET!! So i went ahead and broke it completely down, new hoses, carb kit, plug, hot water (low) pressure wash, new rim. Holy crap. Has monster compression and just runs so sweet. Truly a great find.
But upon closer inspection, it does seem like the dealer may have installed an oem wrap bar. The rubber chip deflector & outboard spike do not have a stihl part number and so it may not be a true west coast 044W after all. Has anyone seen an early model come equipped like this one? He told me he bought it exactly as it stands.

LOL! Well, then my previous opinion of CL here in Utah still stands.

This thread is heating up, don't be surprised if there is not a "black Friday type rush" on your new-to-you saw :surprised3:

Nice saw, I spotted that on C/L in CA while combing the country for 044's, but held off contacting the guy as most dont seem to want to ship. (I have sweet talked a few into shipping thou) Glad you were able to get him to ship it!!

Looks like a really nice saw!! Sure has been some nice 044's coming up for sale lately.

If you dont mind me asking how much was the original purchase price on the receipt? I can make it out in the pic.

Hey I found one last week too. Not as clean but in nice shape. Picked it up cheap. Going through it now. I'll g t some pics

Back