Rate of oiling by automatic chain oilers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigsnowdog

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have two saws, a Stihl 009 that is over 20 years old, and a Stihl 460 that is about a year old.

The 009 never oiled its chain an amount that I thought was liberal, but the 460 makes the 009 look like it is splatters. I have in the past tested the oiler on a saw by holding it over some clean surface (which could be a fresh saw cut or piece of cardboard) to see what would collect as I revved it a blip or two.

I was so concerned that I took the 460 to the dealer and told him I did not think the oiler worked. He told me the newer saws are a lot more dry, due to environmental issues, a we don't want to leave oil in the woods kind of mission.

He tested it as he would, and showed me it was oiling as intended.

Any thoughts on this? I think I wish there was a way to increase the rate.

Originally posted by SilverBlue
What kind of bar are you running? Look at the oil hole on it and open it one size or chamfer the hole.

Both of my saws have OEM Stihl bars. I have to admit I did not think of that, imagining that the rate of flow created by the pump was the issue.

I've noticed the same with with every stihl I've used.
Darnit, I wanna see some OIL on that chain!

You can bump up the oiling on the 460 by slightly drilling out the intake and output oiler holes on the oiler housing itself and by filing the flat spot on the adjustment screw where it stops a little- to give yourself more adjustment. It works a little but not a lot. Local cutters here are doing it with some success for longer bars.

i guess this is an epa thing also. but it dont make sence to me.my 036 is one good saw but get it buried in hardwood and efficency drops .. in my opinion due to this issue.
my 372 oils perfectly. which is another reason its my pick on hardwood bucking etc. or almost anything else.

My Solo 651P KD is a throwback in many ways, the oiler included.
The saw puts oil on the chain like mad. You can actually see it
flying around everywhere on the bar, I have the adjustment
backed off about a quarter turn from wide open, otherwise you
run out of oil before gas.
My Shindaiwa 488 was the same way with the oiler at full mast,
it would run out of oil before gas.
I find myself high idling my 346 and new 372XPG to get the chain
oiled before I start a long cut. My 440 is no better. My 357 ain't
bad though, that thing leaks everywhere!

It also depends on the thickness of oil you are using, the heavy oil does not move as fast as light. You could also modify the pickup screen inside the tank and see if that makes a difference. My 026 has no problem pumping the oil, actually too much and it doesn’t have an adjustment. My 066 would starve its 32” cannon super bar until the oil holes were enlarged, now the tank is almost empty when its time to refuel.

On the whole idea of enlarging holes, I have not had it apart to see the current size, but.... how much larger are we talking, say a 10% increase in hole diameter? ....or something else?

I would not want to enlarge it so much that I would run out of oil before I ran out of fuel. I do like the idea of increasing the oiling, however.

Bigsnowdog- yes, just slightly opening up the intake and output holes on the oiler is fine, unless it's an oiler with an external hose like on the 026/034/036/044/064- then just do the intake side, where it slips into the hose coming from the tank. On 044/046/064/066 saws you can back the adjustment screw out and file a bit of material off the flat side of the screw to turn it a little more counterclockwise looking at the bottom of the saw- this will make the "pump piston" in the oiler take more oil with each revolution and will get you a little more oil.

My 372xp oils perfectly,I could not ask for anything better.The oiler responds well to adjustment,can be set lean or to drown the bar with oil.With a 20" bar it will breeze thru extended full load bar cuts.It's not maxed out and I know there is enough adjustment left to easily accomodate a 24" bar should I ever want one.

That's exactly the way I like it:D

Rick

BSD, your 460 should have an adjustable oiler, have you turned it all the way up?

Rocky, does your 26 have an adjustable oiler? Early models didn't but newer ones do and the adjustable type is the only one in the parts list. They also list an adjustable oiler with conversion kit, a bit more expensive, for the older units that didn't have it.

Doesn't list what the extra parts are for the conversion however.

I always went by the rule thumb that your oil tank should be almost empty when the fuel is. Bigger saws use more fuel & have bigger bars so it should work out the same...Rick/Saw Slut

oilers

The 360 and up should be able to be adjusted for full output. The 260 pro has the adjustable oiler, the 260 does not.

OK, so the oiler should put out enough to throw oil off the end. How much good does the oil on the ground do for the bar? And how does is suddenly stay on the bar when you cut.

Advancements have been made in mixing oils, none in bar oils?
Wouldn't a precise jet to the chain do a better job then an open hole?
I have always thought the best guard against bar wear was a properly sharpened chain, because it produces less heat from friction. Less heat, less friction, less oil needed?

I see this in the shop. "The oiler doesn't put out enough". With the bar off, it will pump out a good stream. With the bar on, it will be completely oiled in seconds. Of course, the chain is always dull, sharpening cures the problem.
Maybe we just don't want to be shown another way? More is better? Is it?

Rocky, what saw or brand in that size category would you purchase instead of the 026?

Stihltech I think you have been one of the best posters here helping people solve saw problems.I respect that.

I have to differ with you on Stihl's oiler philosophy.The way I read your comment above saws below a 036,in general,cannot be adjusted to full oil flow or output.This being the case I find the term "adjustable oiler" used as a ploy to sell these saws somewhat deceptive.For me,in general,a almost empty tank of oil to a tank of gas is the rule.I'am beginning to think some Stihl mid range saws are defective by design and many Stihl consumers deserve a product recall.

I notice on the Stihl website they have reduced oiler tank volume on new 044/046's,from .8 pt down to .7 pt.I make this comparison with a 2001 Stihl product catalog.So even if the oilers on these saws can be adjusted to full output they have less oil to lube the bar in comparison to older model Stihls.

You've commented about oil being slinged from the tip of the bar to the ground having no benefit.I could not disagree more with you.Oil flushes,if there is enough,fine grit and residue from the cut out of the bar guide and off the chain which reduces wear and heat, no matter if the chain is sharp or beginning to dull a little.

Just my opinions.I think Stihl has shot/is shooting itself in the foot with consumers who have to/want to run larger bar applications.

Rick

Last edited:
oiler

You would be amazed how good I am getting at dodging those rotten tomatoes.:blob2:

There is another reason. In some parts of Europe, petroleum bar oil is no longer legal to use. The veggie oil is the norm. I was told it is also the only thing to use around certain watersheds in this area. The stuff is expensive. The less used, the more the logger saves. Makes some sense. Maybe Stihl knows something we don't?

OK, tell me how much faster you find the bar wears out with a smaller output oiler. I haven't had many complaints here, but most of the cutting is standing, live hardwood.

Back