Rate of oiling by automatic chain oilers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stihl tech, I run sharp chains, though I suspect I would be accused of being a pansy by the filing crowd, because I own a bunch of chains and I have them sharpened. I have, let's say, a very full schedule, so I don't really have time for filing. I can change a chain faster. All of this is to say your remark about not wanting to learn a new way is, politely, off the mark.

Do i want oil to fly off onto the ground? No, but I would like more visible evidence of oiling than this thing provides. I think the 009 oils enough, and the amount of oil it throws is neglible, but visible on a sheet of cardboard.

I would like to see visible oiling. If they want vegetable oil, then OK, but sell it to me and let me make the rate visible. If you can't see it, you don't know if you have, really, any.

Ok Stihltech,here's a example;

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?postid=119304#post119304

A new 660 with a 42" bar and .74pt(11.8 oz)oiler tank volume to keep it oiled to be used for stumping.Even with a 28" bar I think he's going to have problems with premature bar wear.Well...even with a 25" bar Stihl recommends for a 660 he could have problems stumping.

I'll bet he could grill a steak on that 42" bar after a couple stump cuts:D

Rick

Two points.
Does a longer bar need more oil? The longer the bar the fewer revolutions the chain makes and the same number of teeth go past the oiler hole, in a given amount of time. So why does it need more oil?

What is the difference in the size of the oil tanks between Stihl and the better (according to the Stihl bashers) non-Stihl saws? Unless the tank is bigger, your not going to be able to put out more oil.

Mike Maas,
You beat me to it! As long as the chain gets saturated at the oiler, there can be no improvement in the oiling of the rest of the bar without an auxillary oiler. It won't matter what the competitors oil tank capacity is...saturated is saturated. The 460 we just got at work saturates the chain just fine.

Tension and preasure between chain and bar is higher resulting in higher friction , higher heat.

But I think it has more to do with the size of the wood. As teeth pass through and past more wood they are stripped of oil.

I find the oiler on my 066 just suficient when maxed out on a 20 inch bar, and a bit shy on a 32. Very insuficient for milling with the 32.

about 1/3 a tank of oil to 1 tank of gas. I think I will try opening it up a bit.

I Don't see much sence in not being able to adjust the oiler to nearly empty the tank for each tank of gas. If they had made the oil tank smaller I bet the issue would have gone less noticed.

The 66s, 46s, and 44s I run all use about a half a tank of oil on the low setting and almost the whole tank on high.

The 66s have a bigger oil tank and therefore it puts out more oil.

If the oil isn't flowing as I discribed, have a good mechanic look at it.

395xp has 1.1 pt oiler tank volume compared to 11.8oz on the 660.I'll take the 395 with a oiler that can be adjusted to nearly empty a 1.1 pt tank and run a 32" bar over a 660 with a oiler that some say cannot be adjusted to nealy empty a 11.8 oz tank for the full load 32" bar cuts.Just my opinion.

If bar oil is not beneficial in reducing bar wear and powerhead drag with larger bars why does Stihl put a 21.3 oz oiler tank(and hopefully a oiler that can be adjusted to put close to that volume juice on the bar)on their 088?

Rick

oilers

Talked to some customers with 026s today. Asked them how much oil is left when fuel runs out. All answered about 1/4 tank.
Still on original bars. This included 2 026 and 2 pro.

I have found a couple things on these oilers. The plastic pump will lose the plug on the bottom. Easy fix with a machine screw. The vent may stick, causing low oil consumption. Oil hose must seal to pump or same problem. Barring any worn parts, I would suspect vent blockage if you are using less than half a tank.
Course, the tank must be clean or it plugs up the pump inlet, not the screen.

Or add some JB and bailing wire to keep the pump stuck wide open,lol.
Seriously, My 260 always put out enough oil with a 16 or 18" bar. MY 7900 pukes out oil like the Exxon Valdez when the adjuster is maxed. I actually had to back it off slightly.

Never had any problems with the non adjustable oiler on my 026.
Stihl did a excellent job matching oiler flow to tank volume of 10.8oz.It's nearly empty when the fuel tank is almost empty.

Same way with my little 021.Oiler tank volume is .4 pt(6.5oz) and the non adjustable oiler out put will nearly empty the oil tank to a tank of fuel.Great little saw for floppers and cuts up to around 10" diameter.

Rick

'course on them little saws what ain't got oil shut-off at idle, the amount of time a-runnin' and not a-cuttin' makes some difference.

You might say they are not house trained, leave them alone too long and they make little purple puppy puddles.

TW

Another variable is fuel tank size. The big huskys have bigger fuel tanks too, so that would be a factor in how much oil is put out. Even so, it does look like husky oils quite a bit more than stihl, unless there is some unseen variable like gas mileage, which would change the oil output/ time ratio.

The oil spilled into the environment is a big concern. I'm no expert, but I remember seeing some thing where they talked about how one drop of motor oil could cover some huge amount of water, like a square mile or something. So I think that's why more and more people are switching over to vegitable oil, and I imagine someday soon it will be required by law.
Since I started maintaning my bars with a rail grinder, I don't think I've had any bar oil related problems, even at stihl's low oil output.
So if it saves the environment and the boss a few bucks in oil costs, why not.

Mike, I woud'nt assume that veggie oil is any better for the environment than dino oil. The bad stuff in motor oil comes from the heavy metal compunds in the additive package and bar oils does not have these compouds.

With the prices invested in chain & sprockets, I suggest to my customers that they presoak the chain in bar oil. When you do it you will observe air bubbles as the oil replaces the spaces around the rivets. Oregon has reccomended it since at least the '60's. Those that do it on a regular basis have cutters that are only little triangle shapes and very little 'streching' orf their chains & wear of their sprockets. The newer design of OREGON's chains with the 'pocket' between rivets just adds an extra buffer f oil.
With the EPA forcing the mfgr's tocut down the output of the oil, it won't be long before the oiltanks will shrink to fit the lower output.
'

Latest posts

Back