Rate of oiling by automatic chain oilers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just use any old vegtible oil and make sure you get some on the muffler, before you know it a bunch of buddies will show up to help you work. As for the enviroment I wouldn't serve Beans or that Nitro chilli your ma makes.

Please pass the mask for the gas...
either way you always stink!

I would consider using a BIG Stihl manly saw to cut those floppers but I fear they would burn up the bar.I'll just use my little 021 for the money it's a better investment.

Use my "hootin pollutin" 372 on the bigger cuts.

I guess all you folks using big Stihl saws are enviro......what ya ma call it's??I guess their Bioplus oil is really good stuff huh?Don't all you-all with those big Stihl's use it?Just be careful and use a biological chain oil resistant to aging.If you don't you may damage the oiler with resin.Have no concern,Stihl will be happy to replace it when they sell you a new bar.Do you recycle your old bars?

Somebody needs to start a new thread on Stihl oiler and bar mods.On second thought don't do that,the environment would'nt like it.

Have a good bar burnin day,

Rick

as to epa. we go back to what i use to hear all the time. believe half what u see and very little of what u hear.it went something like that...
their reports seem to be so slanted toward their agenda,,as to have very little to do,, with what mite actually be the truth. if what they said proved out to be the truth ,in time .. i could mabe supportum.
but the media ,entertainment industry
swallows it all . helps them get more exposure as champions of the people.
jmo.. and i aint a star so who gives a fart.
its amazing how somebody can sing or act ,,and they automatically become experts . to me they are the easiest cons of all.

Hi Mike,

I take my car oil to AutoZone and they recycle it.They will take up to 5 gallon.

Yes,I think the new Stihls with larger bar applications are giving some consumers problems.I'am sure you've read some of the threads about what some folks are doing with the oilers and bars to get a little more oil flow.

Respectfully,
Rick

Originally posted by ricksvar
Hi Mike,

I take my car oil to AutoZone and they recycle it.They will take up to 5 gallon.

Respectfully,
Rick

So you realize the oil is a pretty bad pollutant. They say the oil from an oil chage can pollute a million gallons of water. If you think about how much bar oil a tree guy uses, it's a lot more that the oil changes he does. I personally use up around a gallon a week.
Multiply that by how many saw users there are and you'll see why this type of oil pollution is important.

I keep my adjustable oiler set on the conservative side.Not too much but enough for the task.I don't like to buy bar oil any more then anyone else.

Fact is you don't know how much oil I use.I can tell you I don't pollute the environment as much you using over a gallon a week.I'am not being critical,it just takes more bar oil to lube a chain on a longer bar.

Rick

Brian,
The crap that is in used oil is probably worse than new oil, but I don't think even new oil is good to spill in the environment. It gets in the water and clogs fish gills, among other things.
When an oil tanker spills, that's not used oil, and they say that's bad.
Your logic is a littled flawed with the, anything dug from the ground can't be pollution if it's spread around on top of the ground. That's, well, just plain stupid.
They dig plutonium from the ground, and you would want that spread around in your yard.
For an inteligent guy you sure come up with some stupid $hit.

bar oil

Mike, mike, mike, where do you get this stuff? Let's go back to 1965 and in Pennsylvania there was over 26 million gallons of used motor oil each year, less than 6 million gallons were recycled. The other 20 million gallons ended up on the ground. So you think that there were some sawers in Pennsylvania spraying more than 20 million gallons of oil on the ground every year back then? Get Real. Back then used oil was said to be a hazzard because the lead used in leaded gas (anti-knock stuff) got past the piston rings and into the oil. When they went to unleaded gas the EPA had to find a new reason to call used oil a hazzardous material. It's called make it up as you go science.

There are more than twice as many cars on the road now and even if 90% of the oil is recycled now, how much oil does that leave on the ground in Pennsylvania? So the sawers in Pennsylvania are using how many million gallons of bar lube a year to spray it around? How much used oil in your state is unaccounted for Mike? You can't convince me sawers spill more than cars. There are not that many people using chainsaws every day in Pennsylvania.

The PPA could probably tell you how many gallons of bar lube are sold in a year. I don't think Wal-Mart sells a million gallons a year in Pa. but they do sell millions of gallons of motor oil a year.

Mike.They don't dig plutonium out of the ground. It is a byproduct of uranium fission. -Ya little pink tighted doofus.:p As for the dangers of crude oil ...... well it does cause some problems- especially for marine mammals and birds. Its dangers are also somewhat overrated. Have you talked to any commercial fishermen who work Prince Edward Sound? For several years after the spill their catches went up-WAY UP!

I love the ignorance here. It's just plain astounding. Lets break this down here.

Whats the difference in used oil and new oil?
Answer: Extra soot; which is from gasoline another more refined oil from catalytic cracking and maybe a little wear products (steel) in the oil. Iron is naturally occuring, therefore and considered non binding with organics (non-polluting).

What additives are different in car oils as opposed to bar oils?
Answer: Graphite for temperture viscosity stabilization and detergents. Graphite is just carbon. Oil is a hydro-carbon (Hydrogen carbon chain). Detergents are just something that breaks the oil surface tension slightly not to create deposits.

So what is the desernible difference between used car oil and bar oil as far as a pollutant?
Answer: None.

Therefore, get used to the biodegradable oils because that is what is comming, unless you are cutting in a third world country with no environmental laws. Its only a matter of time before the EPA targets it. The environmentalists will be screaming about all the bar oil seaping in the water table and you can say bye... bye to your old oil. The only saving grace is that evironmentalists rarely come from professions that would know like Engineers. Stihl at least sees the writing on the wall and is trying to prepare for it.

I'm by no means an environmentalist. Actually, I tend to look at the world as my trash can.

Geo, I said tree guys probably use quite a bit more more bar oil than auto oil, not that there is more bar oil used than auto oil.

Stumper, thanks for correcting me, but my point stands.

Brian, where do you get I'm a screaming liberal from my posts?
Because I said it's probably not good to spill oil in the environment? Oh, yeah, screaming liberal.

Graphit hasnt been in mototr since Arco tried to matket a oil with graphite in it in the early 70's. The nasty stuff in motor oil are the zinc, moly, phosphourus, cadmium, etc.

Hey Ben, Mike, Justin, Brian,etc..
I agree!
Agree with what, I am unsure,
but I too, love the ignorance here! It is quite a stimulus for
my mind. I have blocked out all negative info, and just am
focusing on the positive, and now just realize that Cahoon
is the spawn of Satan, and his role here is to do nothing but
to destroy us as brothers, or sisters,{siblings}.
I curse the day that Lambert found him on the forest floor,
and they forged their unholy, immoral bond of mayhem.
But I may be wrong.

Back to the subject...
I don't use brand name bar oils usually. The one time I tried Husky oil I noticed that oil consumption went up considerably. Maybe that accounts for the Husky saws having larger oil tanks...they expect you will use their oil.

Latest posts

Back