Rayco RG100 and carlton 8018 comparisons

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOE

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've had a chance to put a few hours on my new,(used) rayco RG100. Until now I've been using a carlton 8018 for everything. It's still early but here are some of the things I've notice about both. The 8018 is big and heavy and can be hard on lawns. That said, the weight is nice sometimes; it's pretty a pretty solid platform when you are grinding. The rayco wieghts 3800 lbs, about 1700 less than the carlton. It's easier to haul around and does very minimal turf damage but it will slide around a bit when grinding. The rayco is faster and more nimble than the 8018 when going from stump to stump. The ground speed is a bit faster and you can make sharp turns without turf damage. I would try to make big wide turns with the 8018. The 8018 has a wider swing and will reach higher which is nice for big stumps and up rooted stumps. I much prefer the wireless carlton controls over the swing out rg100's,(I realize RG100's can be wireless as an option). The cutting speed is pretty much the same, the rayco may have a slight edge but they are very close. I think the extra 20 horsepower the rayco has is consumed with hydraulic drive cutter wheel. The rayco will fit through 36" gate the carlton won't even go through as 48" For land clearing, the wide swing and tracks of the carlton would be better. The kubota in the rayco is much smoother and quieter than the deutz in the carlton. The carlton has more chip capacity than the rayco. As far as repairs and operating costs, it's too soon to tell. I know the 8018 is expensive to operate, I'm sure the rayco will be as well. The rayco will now be my residential work machine and the carlton will be used for clearing work and very large stumps where lawn damage isn't a big issue

I've had a chance to put a few hours on my new,(used) rayco RG100. Until now I've been using a carlton 8018 for everything. It's still early but here are some of the things I've notice about both. The 8018 is big and heavy and can be hard on lawns. That said, the weight is nice sometimes; it's pretty a pretty solid platform when you are grinding. The rayco wieghts 3800 lbs, about 1700 less than the carlton. It's easier to haul around and does very minimal turf damage but it will slide around a bit when grinding. The rayco is faster and more nimble than the 8018 when going from stump to stump. The ground speed is a bit faster and you can make sharp turns without turf damage. I would try to make big wide turns with the 8018. The 8018 has a wider swing and will reach higher which is nice for big stumps and up rooted stumps. I much prefer the wireless carlton controls over the swing out rg100's,(I realize RG100's can be wireless as an option). The cutting speed is pretty much the same, the rayco may have a slight edge but they are very close. I think the extra 20 horsepower the rayco has is consumed with hydraulic drive cutter wheel. The rayco will fit through 36" gate the carlton won't even go through as 48" For land clearing, the wide swing and tracks of the carlton would be better. The kubota in the rayco is much smoother and quieter than the deutz in the carlton. The carlton has more chip capacity than the rayco. As far as repairs and operating costs, it's too soon to tell. I know the 8018 is expensive to operate, I'm sure the rayco will be as well. The rayco will now be my residential work machine and the carlton will be used for clearing work and very large stumps where lawn damage isn't a big issue
Wondering how you are liking the Rg100? I have the 8018 and 7015 rubber tired, looking to upgrade the 7015, and considering the RG100 or Vermeer Sc852? Thanks

Overall I like it, it's a strong machine has been pretty reliable for the most part. I had to rebuild one of the rear wheel drive motors and have blown a couple of hydraulic hoses. The relief valve for the pressure line on the cutterwheel motor is set at 5700 psi. Rayco used 4000 psi hose. I blew it and dumped 10 gallons of hyd oil very fast. I asked Rayco service why the hell they only ran 4000 psi hose, they told me it was for diameter and flexability. I searched around and found that caterpillar uses a 6000 psi hose in some equipment that is very flexable and the same diameter as the 4000 rayco was using. I had one made with the cat hose. Very expensive but has held fine. My complaint is not enough reach or chip capacity under machine but I think the vermeer would be pretty similar

Overall I like it, it's a strong machine has been pretty reliable for the most part. I had to rebuild one of the rear wheel drive motors and have blown a couple of hydraulic hoses. The relief valve for the pressure line on the cutterwheel motor is set at 5700 psi. Rayco used 4000 psi hose. I blew it and dumped 10 gallons of hyd oil very fast. I asked Rayco service why the hell they only ran 4000 psi hose, they told me it was for diameter and flexability. I searched around and found that caterpillar uses a 6000 psi hose in some equipment that is very flexable and the same diameter as the 4000 rayco was using. I had one made with the cat hose. Very expensive but has held fine. My complaint is not enough reach or chip capacity under machine but I think the vermeer would be pretty similar
Thank you, I appreciate the input. Will be demo RG100 next week and good to have some feedback.

Thank you, I appreciate the input. Will be demo RG100 next week and good to have some feedback.
Where do you live? I can let you know when I am going to sell it.

Where do you live? I can let you know when I am going to sell it.
Howdy
I live in Terre Haute IN, I purchased my first Carlton 7500 in Simsbury CN and my second one in Jacksoville FL so you can see I don't mind driving. Been to a couple on conventions in Hartford CN. Plesase let me know if and when you want to sell
Thanks

Kenny

Howdy
I live in Terre Haute IN, I purchased my first Carlton 7500 in Simsbury CN and my second one in Jacksoville FL so you can see I don't mind driving. Been to a couple on conventions in Hartford CN. Plesase let me know if and when you want to sell
Thanks

Kenny
Will do. Thanks

Latest posts

Back