RC fuel in chainsaws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmihalek

Where's the wood at?
Reaction score
I know that guys running nitro may mix their own fuel but I was wondering if the off-the-shelf pre-mixed fuel for the tiny engines used in radio-controlled cars/planes be used for short periods of time in a chainsaw? These fuels are methanol, nitro (5% up to 35%) and castor/synthetic oils plus some have an added protector for running lean.

If so, are there any favorite brands?

Yes, you can run these fuels. However you will run into several problems. First some of the fuel line components may melt(certains types of plastic) and your carb components will corrode quickly. You will also have to rejet the carb with much bigger jets ,roughly double size for 100% methanol.

Otherwise the saw will run like Sammy Sosa in a mexican pharmacy.

You will need a carb like this one on the red solo 690 in the front. Hope this helps. :heart:

Honda500.jpg

Bob what we run in the alcohol saws is pretty much RC fuel just the biggest difference is the quality of the fuel , the fuel I mix has what I feel to be the highest quality there is , no short cuts , sure it cost more to make it but you have a better chance of everything running correct and for the motor staying together.

Hah! Yukon, you read my mind. Ed said there'd would probably no common fuel source at the next GTG, and my old saws certainly need some help. So, in addition to continuing my adventures in porting, I was thinking of fuel and chains as other areas that need help.

I wonder if I can mix nitro in with gasoline-based premix and still use the stock carb? I know with methanol I'd need to flow about twice as much fuel as with my stock gasoline carb, so that may make things a bit too tricky for me at this stage of the game.

If you mix nitro with gasoline you will have problems with fuel stability(octane). Possibly you could get away with running aviation fuel and nitro. If you give the guys at VP racing fuels a call they could find you a product of theirs that is pretty close to what you want.

Bob if you want I have anything you want here, I have oil that nitro will mix with and can be mixed with high test gas, 10% nitro works in a normal saw for a short run then gets hot, yes it would work with the 1 cut at the GTG's we have and it does cut faster.

Nitromethane will not blend reliably with gasoline. Nitropropane will, but either of these potent oxygenators blended with gasoline can be a bit unpredictable ITO the onset of detonation under load. And the sort of detonation you get is not the "litttle-bit-of-ping" type from octane too low but the "cylinder-explodes-off-the motor" type. In other words you get a fuel with a LOT of octane sensitivity.

If you want to experiment with these type fuels, you are better off getting small amounts from a pro blender like VP. Of course do speak with one of their engineers and tell them what you are up to.

On the nitro/alcohol glow type fuels, the company Morgan Fuels (http://www.morganfuel.com/) makes just about any blend you might want. Again, you can buy several different increments of nitro blend to find the one you want. You can choose the lubrication package as well, from castor to castor/synth blends to all synth. They will sell you the raw materials to make you own blends, too. Alot of the kart guys like their fuels.

Jimbo

We have been using nitro in gas for along time here with no trouble, you have to use a oil that mixes with nitro and you will not buy that from VP fuel, I use their nitro and alcohol from them but I use KL200 for oil mixed at 16-1,

Heres some pics of rc carb and fuel lines.1 is closed carb 2 open carb 3 behind carb 4 air filter 5 front air filter.

i know i am gonna regret this but.....

ok after 15 years of drag racing i did learn a few things, so take this info for what it is worth:
first of all nitro is very hard to light and requires compression of 18 to 1 or higher, if you add a blower to a racing engine of 14 to 1 comp and drive the blower about 20 percent over it will give a mechanical compression od about 24 to 1
it is so hard to light if poured on a fire it will put it out, i have seen this and this is not an asumption.
further more the fuel density requires you burn almost twice as much , along with alcohol, which used to be my fuel of choice
the explosion is so violent a supercharged motor on alcohol will make about the same as a normally aspirated motor on nitro, but it does break parts as any modification does
in my opinion if you can get the compression high enough, and get it lit, wear a face shield , because with a high percentage you have a grenade in your hand....
just a thought though............

You mean this will happen?
http://arborist.************/attachment.php?attachmentid=22099&stc=1

pretty much

granted most of the people i was around were 50 percent or higher, and i have seen some he!!ish engine explosions.................
again, just a thought.........

I think we are talking about mixes of 5-20%. Nevertherless, you should be cautious. It does grenade motors on occasion, especially 20% and up.

Jimbo

Back