Real loggers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LANNY

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I hope this isn't a dumb thread, but I just gotta know. There are a lot of folks on here who work in the timber industry. And there are a lot more who do not. Now as for me, my grandfather was a logger, dad cut a lot of pulpwood, and neither taught me a damned thing about trees. Now I am hooked on wood and saws, but I work in town and live on a farm. I appreciate the info you all share with me and the glimpses into that world. But I am not a logger. Seems like a lot of folks think they are. As long as I am here, on AS I want to respect folks for what they know. But does it not drive you guys crazy when wannabees try to talk smack? Thanks....Lanny

I hope this isn't a dumb thread, but I just gotta know. There are a lot of folks on here who work in the timber industry. And there are a lot more who do not. Now as for me, my grandfather was a logger, dad cut a lot of pulpwood, and neither taught me a damned thing about trees. Now I am hooked on wood and saws, but I work in town and live on a farm. I appreciate the info you all share with me and the glimpses into that world. But I am not a logger. Seems like a lot of folks think they are. As long as I am here, on AS I want to respect folks for what they know. But does it not drive you guys crazy when wannabees try to talk smack? Thanks....Lanny

Where's all this smack talking going on? I only read the firewood forums so maybe it's elsewhere, but I agree with you in the sense that cutting firewood does not make you a logger. I'm just a guy with a truck and a saw (I do own a pair of Carhartt "logger" double front pants though) who's always looking for free advice and free wood. :greenchainsaw:

I don't even have the Carharts!!!
Mainly a firewooder here. I cut in a heavily wooded area. I do tree trimming when I can find the work, I preffer TD's more than anything.
Pretty much just a hack!

All I wear are Carhartt double knees but no one in SW MI stocks them :angry::angry::angry: Gonna have to order online from here on out. Hell, seems like you could find them in gas stations back in WA :laugh:

As for the OP, yes sometimes it's hard trying to figure who talks the talk and who actually walks the walk.

And for the record, theres nothing wrong with firewooding and occasional use!! Firewooders can gain experience too.

But yes, seasoned pro opinions are nice to hear cause they cut through a lot of crap most times. Just look at Gary :cool:

One thing I learned back when I was working for a gyppo, if you don't respect the old timber tramps, they'll show you nothing. Give a little respect, and they might show you a trick or two that'll make your job easier.

I cut just for the firewood, splitting, warmth of the house and enjoyment of doing so.

In years past working construction I used to clear the lots we built the houses on.

I have cut trees and split firewood for almost 35 years now.

:D

I only cut wood for personal use. We heat our 1200 sq. ft. house on about 3.5 cords a year. At $300/cord I'm saving some $1000 each year. Plus, I can't think of any better exercise and enjoyable way to spend a day than felling, limbing, bucking and splitting (notice how I skipped the stacking!). Really makes one appreciate the beauty of nature and the cycle of death supporting life. I'm introducing my 6 year-old son to the work involved in keeping our home warm. He splits some kindling with his small hand axe and has learned to help with the splitter. I'm nowhere near being a logger, but the local loggers and experienced woodsmen seem happy to share their wisdom and skills if approached with an honest willingness to learn.

The minute I hit the send key, I remembered I was on the wrong forum for this topic, but it's on here now, sorry. I wasn't
accusing anyone on this forum of being a bull***ter, I'm in the same boat. You guys should check out some of the posts on the other forums, where folks who do not know what they're talking about argue with the pros. I'ts funny.......Lanny
ps. Krusty, tell me you ain't blowin up trees.....Lanny

I worked as a cutter for a few different loggers for about 4 years. That was almost 6 years ago. I am in an office now dreaming of the day when I can call myself a logger again. It's one of those things that got in my blood and keeps eating away at me. :greenchainsaw:

I know exactly what and who you're talking about Lanny. It really gets me going sometimes too! :chainsaw: As I stated on another forum, we occasionally get "armchair" loggers who's total experiance is a couple episodes of Axe Men and a Pacific Northwest address and claim too know it all.
Truth be told I have allot of respect for the Arborists on this site. Those are the guys who fall the most dangerous stuff in my opinion. Big old trees next too homes and power lines etc... Climbing, rope work, hauling branches down. That's no joke. :cheers:

No full time logger here. I cut between 100 to 150 face chord a year, and have logged my woods for timber, as well as cleared a few fence rows. Next year I plan on logging the FIL's for timber (if the prices of hardwood come back up).

The reason I joined this site, to gain alot of knowledge, and pass on my limited knowledge.

TS:cheers:

:D

I wonder how many trees one has to cut down before they have enough experience to call themselves a logger?

If I've only cut down say .... 200 trees in my life so far, how many zeros am I short? :D

Latest posts

Back