Real loggers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After seeing the logging operation across the road from me recently, it put a whole new perspective on logging in my feeble 'ole brain. They were nice enough to drag tops to a clearing for us, and we responded by cutting them up and getting them out of their way. And i stayed out of their way, cutting only in the evenings/on weekends. it is a small operation, but they didn't b.S. around...they cleared around 40 acres of pine for pulp in 4 weeks.

31 years in the woods as a timber cruiser, road engineerand what the loggers call, The :censored: Forester. The latter is what I do now. I am that pesky person who tells them that everything they are doing is wrong, and that the contract says......:buttkick:

I have been known to help out once in a while but I get dirty so I don't do it very often.
My helping resume:

Tool biatch
Pimp for hooktender
choker setter
member of the yarder moving tire relay for about half a mile.

Oh, I played Chaser for a couple of part days.
But I mainly paint trees that are in the way. Paint paint paint. Then I write a lot....Bad Bad Bad Bad....:biggrinbounce2:

Then they make fun of my pickup, my clothes, my job, my employer.:buttkick:

Then I retaliate with remarks of "rich loggers." This makes them roll on the ground laughing and crying. :laugh::cry:

It is either a maddening job, or an entertaining job. I get to stagger through this stuff following young hooktenders who like me to follow them because they get to stop and wait for me--they get to take a break.
attachment.php

I only "log" in the Residential category(which is mostly climbing) because i run a business and that takes most of my time. I have done some "Hooktendin" and some "fellin" and some "choker settin" and I liked "Hooktendin" the best with "Fellin' being a close second. I find residential more challenging at times and you are a little less likely to be killed. Both awesome, both dangerous.

:D

I wonder how many trees one has to cut down before they have enough experience to call themselves a logger?

If I've only cut down say .... 200 trees in my life so far, how many zeros am I short? :D

It's not about how many trees you have cut. It's about the job. I know and have worked with many a men that have know idea how to properly run a saw. They are still loggers. They may have 2 to 200 trees under there belt in 15 years, that isn't many. But they still work it, and live it.

There is lots more than just cutting. Until you have done the work and lived off of that you can't be a logger. A feller on here has a line in his signature. About logging being dangerous, you could starve to death. That is a major truth to logging. Work the riggin, work the landing, live the life and then you will be a logger.

Time in the brush working the job is all that will make you a logger.

Owl

:D

I wonder how many trees one has to cut down before they have enough experience to call themselves a logger?

If I've only cut down say .... 200 trees in my life so far, how many zeros am I short? :D

this is the way i look look at being considered a professional.

if people that "know that the heck they are doing" think you know what the heck you are doing then you are a professional.

I'm just a 22 yr old punk!! lol.
hallidaysborojob29.jpg

i have about 8 different relitive who own a tree service or a logging buisness,ive worked in the woods since i was 12 which has only been 8 yrs now.but the only thing that bothers me is a kid that took the classes in colledge tryn to tell ya how to work.usaly you can tell when their showing up with their new bright shiny stihl gloves an bragging about their boots.their the 1s who realy irratate me

:ices_rofl: .... before anyone gets to thinking that I was serious, let me clarify that I am by no means a logger, nor do I want to be one, or pretend to be one, or .... well, you get my drift.

My post was a playful jab at a certain someone and was only meant in fun. ;)

:cheers:

sincerely,

just a firewood guy :D

:ices_rofl: .... before anyone gets to thinking that I was serious, let me clarify that I am by no means a logger, nor do I want to be one, or pretend to be one, or .... well, you get my drift.

My post was a playful jab at a certain someone and was only meant in fun. ;)

sincerely,

just a firewood guy :D

o yea...we forgot to tell you..part of being a logger is having a bit of an attitue, being stubborn as hell, and taking things a bit serious some times. :chainsaw:ha ha

Not a logger, but I worked at a sawmill for a couple years, and I cut a bunch of firewood every year.

I don't have the Carharts either,but I do have three pairs of Levis with the lower thighs ripped out where the raker teeth got them around my chaps. (You can tell I'm left handed because they are all on the right leg.) Most of the fellers I know have the same. We were thinking of taking them all down to Hollywood to sell to our "macho" heroes for the big buck:)

i guess i can be called a logger. i own a skidder (clark 667),knuckleboom(prentice 210) log truck (mack),saws ( stihll ms660, 066 magnum, ms460, ms460, ms441,ms360,,ms260), dozer (jd650g). i log for a living,i am about broke, cant move pulp wood ,have to about give away #1 logs,cant work becouse of all the rain and mud. had more broke bones and cuts from logging than evil had from crashes on bikes.log market in the toilet,future looking dim. yep i am a logger. woo hoo:angrysoapbox:

Personally I don't cut crap trees, if it looks like it's going to be extra gnarly or dangerous to fell I use the Krusty Tree Felling Method.

It's an off shoot of my Navy training, I drill some holes in the trunk, pour in some premixed household chemicals, light the fuse, and RUN! 30 seconds later there's a muffled boom, some woodchips flying, and the tree comes down.

Works for me, and yes I realize this makes me some sort of quasi poser logger hack guy.

Hate to see what Krusty does if he locks himself out of his house!:hmm3grin2orange:

Does being a "busted-up" logger count??? :)

I haven't worked in the woods in years... a bad back injury pretty much prevents me from packin' in to the woods to fall timber. But I have worked on some small clearing jobs and whatnot. Friends know that if they need a tree on the ground (no matter how big) they got cheap labor...

Tree on ground = half rack of beer

Tree on ground, limbed and bucked = case of beer

Tree on ground, limbed and bucked, help stack wood = case of beer and fire up the BBQ... :)

Gary

Not a logger. I am a cement head, pour concrete.
I do cut wood for the wood stove and some logs for lumber for the FIL. We use a old ford back hoe and a mustang skid steer for the skidding work.

I fall all the trees and the fil does most of the skidding after I have limbed and bucked them into managable peices.

Same deal in northern WI for my Father I fall everything. Especially after he hit the picnic table with a limb. Ma was pretty pissed.

I have buddies that rent a trailable boom and cut there trees down for them. Not sure if that classifies me as a hack or not.

i guess i can be called a logger. i own a skidder (clark 667),knuckleboom(prentice 210) log truck (mack),saws ( stihll ms660, 066 magnum, ms460, ms460, ms441,ms360,,ms260), dozer (jd650g). i log for a living,i am about broke, cant move pulp wood ,have to about give away #1 logs,cant work becouse of all the rain and mud. had more broke bones and cuts from logging than evil had from crashes on bikes.log market in the toilet,future looking dim. yep i am a logger. woo hoo:angrysoapbox:

i dont work anywhere near 40 hours a week, i guess i am a part-timer, but i fell trees for a living. having 2 skidders, a forwarder, a mill, an edger, a forklift, and a skidsteer, means i have the tools. i need to get more time in, but technically i am a logger.

the only time i get to work with trees on the job is when one has fallen on a house...i cut for fun and to help out friends and family. i joined this site to learn and i have to say that all the pros on here have given me lots of great info. thanks guys

I'm on the same landing as Gary, beat to ####. I can ram the spikes in and fall anything, I'm happy to leave the rest to the more able.
Sometimes I feel like I got tossed off a bluff and spent the night sleeping in a wheelbarrow full of rocks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back