Rebuilding Cheap Carburetors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max Gilbert

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Question for all the 2 cycle carb junkies out there. Do any of y'all rebuild cheap carbs such as the Walbro WT series and Zama C1Q series carburetors? My current failure rate on carburetor rebuilds is around 3 out of ten after about 50-100 rebuilds. This is with an ultrasonic cleaner and checking check valves before going through with the rebuild. At this failure rate and what I can reasonably charge to rebuild these cheap units I make around $5 an hour. The ones that don't work after a rebuild (and need further carb work) cost me too much in time and make me too little money to justify ever rebuilding these models again. I won't touch a rebuild kit period unless the carb costs over $50 new it's just not worth it. Keep in mind I work on a Lot of cheap homeowner equipment. What do y'all do? I feel kinda dumb selling out and being a part swapper but this is not a hobby for me, if I'm not making money fixing equipment then the headaches are NOT worth it.

You by far repair a lot more carbs then I ever will. But as you a lot of the carbs I do work on and rebuild are of those models. Yes I have had complete failures, but mostly revisits and success on the second go around. Being the popularity of these models, if you refuse to work on these bodies anymore, you won't be doing to much carb work, C1Q and WT are everywhere. The one that I have most failure with are off the Stihl TS420.

True, I replace rather than rebuild those models most people that hire me don't care about aftermarket eBay carbs I ask but almost no one insists on OEM they just say "I don't care who made the carb as long as it runs." I do rebuild expensive carburetors but even for OEM prices for WT's and C1Q's it's not worth the labor at 2 hours for one rebuild and 4 or more if I have to go at it a second time. After all no one wants pay $80 to fix a $120 weed eater or even pay $100 to fix a $170 Lowesvarna. It would be different if it was my equipment as a hobby I suppose. After all I spent 10 or so hours on the first 2 cycle carb I ever rebuilt spread out over a couple Saturdays, then I discovered what a metering lever was and fixed it in 15mins after I bought a Walbro gauge. :laughing:

I rebuilt a couple of them yesterday. Had one that someone else had put only a gasket kit in it and it failed the pressure test so I had to re-do it. On another on I went ahead and cleaned the carb and found out while I was doing that that the fuel line was rotten. It was a Dolmar and the fuel lines were under the carb, hidden from view..

Older Walbro's usually come together pretty good, Zama's are generally hit or miss.
Also Walbro has hiked repair kit costs considerably: a set of genuine gaskets for a WYL carburetor is now too close to €20 for my liking... and this is nothing compared to TK prices. :dizzy:

I use CTS kits almost exclusively because they cost less than $5 EA and work just as well. It's cost prohibitive to use a Walbro kit at $12 because the new genuine carb costs usually less than $40 with almost zero labor or the Chinese copy carb from eBay for less than $15. They produce new carbs much cheaper than I can rebuild them for.

-Palmer which tests do you usually run on a bad carb to see if it's worth saving? Are you mentioning a pop off pressure test?

My last 2 were failures most recently a C1Q, complete kit, cleaned and blew all holes then cleaned in ultrasonic cleaner. Fulcrum arm ok and inlet needle seals. I did not remove the welch plug, is it likely that something blocked under there is the issue?

Maybe do a set of pressure tests on it there are some good YouTube vids on this. Look for 2 cycle carburetor pressure tests. Or buy a new carb they are super cheap. I've had too many 6 hour carb repairs when I could have just bought a new genuine one for $30-$40 can't charge $20 an hour for a carb rebuild when they are so cheap to replace. And I'm the cheapest small engine guy in the county most shops charge $45+ and won't touch any 2 cycle worth less than $350 most won't work on anything they didn't sell. That why I started learning this stuff in the first place.

I use CTS kits almost exclusively because they cost less than $5 EA and work just as well. It's cost prohibitive to use a Walbro kit at $12 because the new genuine carb costs usually less than $40 with almost zero labor or the Chinese copy carb from eBay for less than $15. They produce new carbs much cheaper than I can rebuild them for.

-Palmer which tests do you usually run on a bad carb to see if it's worth saving? Are you mentioning a pop off pressure test?
Yes, I just put a small amount of pressure into the inlet nozzle and see if it holds. Actually, I just put a hose over it and blew into it and noticed it leaking. I have a pressure tester but didn't take the time on this one to get it out. That was what was keeping the saw from starting.

Yes, I just put a small amount of pressure into the inlet nozzle and see if it holds. Actually, I just put a hose over it and blew into it and noticed it leaking. I have a pressure tester but didn't take the time on this one to get it out. That was what was keeping the saw from starting.

I still need to buy a pressure gauge for this purpose. Which do you use? I'm tired of tasting gas... :baba:

Since we are speaking cheap carburetor stuff, two questions.

1) Has anyone tried the carburetor repair kits sold by Huztl? With genuine Walbro gasket kits now flirting with the €20 barrier, they start making an awful lot of sense.
2) I am looking for Walbro/Zama metering tools. Shipping rates from the US are absolutely prohibitive and the local importer won't sell to private customers. Has anybody any solution?

Thanks.

Does Amazon ship to the UK? I've bought lots through Amazon that came from China in packaging I couldn't read (including metering gauges) for a decent price. I can't imagine shipping to the UK would be any more expensive... Or maybe I'm wrong.

I still need to buy a pressure gauge for this purpose. Which do you use? I'm tired of tasting gas... :baba:
I use a blood pressure bulb (they're sold separately), a tee fitting, some rubber hose and a vac/pressure gauge. I also use this setup to check crankcase on 2 stroke engines. I don't have much over 5 dollars in this..

Are you all talking about rebuilding OEM carbs or the Chinese junk ones?

The lines here are "fuzzy"...

I have a question. If you want to actually "rebuild" a cheap Chinese one, do they make a "kit"??
Or would a kit for an OEM carb work?

Or, as common sense would dictate, just buy another cheap Chinese junk carb?

I have a question. If you want to actually "rebuild" a cheap Chinese one, do they make a "kit"??

You mean OEM Chinese carbs or after market Chinese carbs?

Does Amazon ship to the UK? I've bought lots through Amazon that came from China in packaging I couldn't read (including metering gauges) for a decent price. I can't imagine shipping to the UK would be any more expensive... Or maybe I'm wrong.

Just had a look on Amazon... Zama + Walbro metering tools €50 before shipping is added. I think I'll give it a miss this time. ;)

Zama's have been my main nemesis for not taking rebuilds.... maybe 50% work after(the C1Q's are the worst about not rebuilding well for me) - 200T carbs and TS420 carbs are usually the failures.... I just buy new Chinese ones now and don't even waste my time with a kit or labor unless I am just really in a hurry and don't have time to wait for one to be ordered in. The Chinese carbs typically work fine almost all the time. If you work on a lot of the same model of saws, it pays to buy several of each carb to have ready in case you get the rare new one that won't tune correctly.

The Walbro rebuilds are about 90%+... with very few that wouldn't fix, usually really cruddy looking to start with inside....

Also, you are between a rock and a hard place if all you work on are the homeowner-cheapy saws, and you are trying to make a profit off of service work. I know your pain. People are too cheap to spend much, want it fixed super cheap, and want it fixed now; this puts you in multiple binds of not having time to order a new China carb, the owner won't want to pay you for any of your time, won't wait for 2 weeks, and can't understand why you don't just rebuild the carb that is on it that sat with rotten gas in it for 5 years but worked great before that..... They will go buy a new $150-$250 saw before spending $75 to $100 on repair costs.

I hate to say it, but you might try and do less initial labor on the rebuild of the cheap saw carbs. I used to do all the same things and it ate up my time like crazy. I found that If they work after a kit, great, but don't spend 5 or 6 hours on it with all the testing and precautions. If they don't work, buy a replacement carb. Keeps your profit per hour up and you are still giving fair service to the clientele. Don't cut your own business' throat to save the client a buck. If they aren't willing to pay for professional saw tuning and carb blueprinting, don't provide it.

Zama's have been my main nemesis for not taking rebuilds.... maybe 50% work after(the C1Q's are the worst about not rebuilding well for me) - 200T carbs and TS420 carbs are usually the failures.... I just buy new Chinese ones now and don't even waste my time with a kit or labor unless I am just really in a hurry and don't have time to wait for one to be ordered in. The Chinese carbs typically work fine almost all the time. If you work on a lot of the same model of saws, it pays to buy several of each carb to have ready in case you get the rare new one that won't tune correctly.

The Walbro rebuilds are about 90%+... with very few that wouldn't fix, usually really cruddy looking to start with inside....

Also, you are between a rock and a hard place if all you work on are the homeowner-cheapy saws, and you are trying to make a profit off of service work. I know your pain. People are too cheap to spend much, want it fixed super cheap, and want it fixed now; this puts you in multiple binds of not having time to order a new China carb, the owner won't want to pay you for any of your time, won't wait for 2 weeks, and can't understand why you don't just rebuild the carb that is on it that sat with rotten gas in it for 5 years but worked great before that..... They will go buy a new $150-$250 saw before spending $75 to $100 on repair costs.

I hate to say it, but you might try and do less initial labor on the rebuild of the cheap saw carbs. I used to do all the same things and it ate up my time like crazy. I found that If they work after a kit, great, but don't spend 5 or 6 hours on it with all the testing and precautions. If they don't work, buy a replacement carb. Keeps your profit per hour up and you are still giving fair service to the clientele. Don't cut your own business' throat to save the client a buck. If they aren't willing to pay for professional saw tuning and carb blueprinting, don't provide it.

My thoughts exactly. Finally a kindred soul who understands my delimma. Fortunately even with the week wait for new eBay carbs most of my customers are happy with that turn over time. The few local dealers turn around is 2 weeks to a month on anything not commercial and everyone seems to know it. I do work on better pro equipment as well so those are definitely worth all the testing... It's just a line in the sand I Have To draw to stay profitable. This year is getting busy already and it's only Feb. I'm already pulling late nights after I get home from my day job. I might be pulling all nights in another month or so. After living feast or famine in the construction trades most of my working life I will never complain about business.

Is it just me or are the Knock offs hard to get to hold a tune ?

Latest posts

Back