Rebuilding Cheap Carburetors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't say for sure. I've only used a few and the one on a Stihl hs75 hedge trimmer won't hold a tune especially on the TAS. BUT... That is an Old unit and I suspect an air leak in the crank seals. I just haven't pressure/vacuum tested it yet. Oh and when I do replace carbs I tell the customer it's cheaper to replace them which it always has been so far.

I usually have a 7 out of 10 success rate on carburetors too. I like the aftermarket carburetors. I have a husqvarna 372 that I rebuilt the original carburetor 3 times and the saw wouldn't run. I put a new aftermarket carburetor and it starts easily and runs great. A lot of times you can get an aftermarket carburetor for only an extra $5 or so vs a kit.

I've had bad luck lately with Walbro sdc carburetors.
I have a Mcculloch super pro 60, and it would drain the gas tank in less than 30 minutes with gas pouring out the muffler. I put a NOS carburetor on it and it runs perfectly. I have a homelite xl-101 that ran before rebuilding the carburetor but won't run now. I haven't figured that one out yet. I rebuilt a pro Mac 700 carburetor and it leaked gas into the cylinder , a NOS carburetor fixed that. I might have gotten a bad batch of kits (stens).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually have a 7 out of 10 success rate on carburetors too. I like the aftermarket carburetors. I have a husqvarna 372 that I rebuilt the original carburetor 3 times and the saw wouldn't run. I put a new aftermarket carburetor and it starts easily and runs great. A lot of times you can get an aftermarket carburetor for only an extra $5 or so vs a kit.

I've had bad luck lately with Walbro sdc carburetors.
I have a Mcculloch super pro 60, and it would drain the gas tank in less than 30 minutes with gas pouring out the muffler. I put a NOS carburetor on it and it runs perfectly. I have a homelite xl-101 that ran before rebuilding the carburetor but won't run now. I haven't figured that one out yet. I rebuilt a pro Mac 700 carburetor and it leaked gas into the cylinder , a NOS carburetor fixed that. I might have gotten a bad batch of kits (stens).

Sounds like you may have a leaky inlet needle. I used to just install them, now I pressure test them before I put the carb into the saw.

If the needle is leaking how would you fix it?
I'm referring to the inlet needle. Some people just buy the gasket kit for a rebuild, it's included in the full kit but not in the gasket kit. If the seat is damaged I would just replace the carburetor if the repair looked to be extensive. I probably wouldn't have the tools to rebuild the needle seat..Sometimes the spring gets a little weak on those 30 year old carbs, I think the Zama kit includes the spring but others don't.

Sounds like you may have a leaky inlet needle. I used to just install them, now I pressure test them before I put the carb into the saw.

I was thinking that too. It could be possible that the needles in the kit were off.

I'm referring to the inlet needle. Some people just buy the gasket kit for a rebuild, it's included in the full kit but not in the gasket kit. If the seat is damaged I would just replace the carburetor if the repair looked to be extensive. I probably wouldn't have the tools to rebuild the needle seat..Sometimes the spring gets a little weak on those 30 year old carbs, I think the Zama kit includes the spring but others don't.

Ah OK. I always use the full kit. I thought you ment that the new needle was leaking. It's easier for me to just replace every needle.

++++++++

So a Chinese made Zama is the same as a E-bay $8
chinese special? The many, many "factories" in China are all the same, same?

Not exactly you see China doesn't have patent laws like the US so Zama has a factory in China and another enterprising individual opens a factory down the road and copies their product out of cheaper materials and less profit margin. Similar to Chinese ripoff name brand clothing/purses/watches...

++++++++

So a Chinese made Zama is the same as a E-bay $8 chinese special? The many, many "factories" in China are all the same, same?
Possible, once in a while if it is made by the same factory, problem is some are good and a lot are not good and they are inconsistent. If you find a good batch load up on them cause the next batch just may not be good. i like stock OEM they run the best. But cost prohibits when they are 90.00 in my case.

Is it just me or are the Knock offs hard to get to hold a tune ?

No troubles here.
++++++++

So a Chinese made Zama is the same as a E-bay $8 chinese special? The many, many "factories" in China are all the same, same?

Yeah. I don't know about ebay, don't use it, but the ones we've bought on Amazon have been the same.

Possible, once in a while if it is made by the same factory, problem is some are good and a lot are not good and they are inconsistent. If you find a good batch load up on them cause the next batch just may not be good. i like stock OEM they run the best. But cost prohibits when they are 90.00 in my case.

Haven't had issues here with carbs for Husqy and Stihl. Have done maybe 2 dozen this past year.

I have bought a couple chinese pull starters for my B-I-L's Husky, had to wallow the bolt holes a bit to get them on,
and they don't last long.
But he could tear up an anvil......

Back