Recent Stihl MS170 changes.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
windthrown

windthrown

361 Junkie
Its a 1, the odd 9th digit, so it was actually made in Germany?

The 8 digits are the serial number.

Note that it was made with domestic and foreign components... a quilt saw.

windthrown

windthrown

361 Junkie
Note that they say manufactured BY Stihl USA, it does not say made in the USA.

My Stihl guide says the country code should be a prefix and not a post fix, so they have done something funny with the later model 170 saws. There is no 5 prefix, at least in my Stihl list. 6 is Japan, and 9 is 'various'. It may be that they added a letter 5 to the list and that is for multi-country made? Maybe the Troll knows.

windthrown

windthrown

361 Junkie
Yah, that would mean that there is a new prefix to the Stihl 8 digit saw Serial Numbers, and that is the number 5. I do not have any reference from Stihl for a 5 prefix. The Stihl tech bulletin that I have has 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, and 9 only.

windthrown

windthrown

361 Junkie
I found this online, it seems that Stihl added the prefix 5 for USA sourced products at some point in time.

STIHL Inc.

Updated, October 21, 2014 by contributing editors.

Most of the STIHL products sold in the USA are made in Va. Beach, Virginia and a majority of the STIHL engines or “powerheads are built in the United States from domestic and foreign parts and components”. The carburetors are manufactured in China; STIHL purchased Zama Corporation, Ltd., Hong Kong, on December 31, 2008.
For country of origin verification, when inspecting the nine digit serial #, the number 1 at the beginning represents the product is sourced from Germany and the numbers 2 or 5 will signify USA sourced merchandise.

The acclaimed “STIHL, built in America, believing in America” line of products include the world famous Chainsaw among other outdoor power tools like their Leaf Blower, Weed Eater, and Hedge Trimmer.

The US made Chainsaw product list includes the Homeowner Saws and the Farm & Ranch Saws. All models are made in the USA, except the MS201 chainsaw and the larger chainsaws from the MS441 and up are made in Germany. The Chains are all made in their Swiss Saw Chain Plant located in Wil, Switzerland.

The US made Leaf Blower models are all US made, that includes the Leaf Blower and Shredder Vacs. Also all of the Backpack Leaf Blowers (BR Series) are Made in Virginia Beach, USA.

The US made Weed Eater or Grass and Brush Trimmers are all US made, except the FS 38 weed eater (China), and the (FS 360/460/560) Brushcutters are made in Germany.

Every Hedge Trimmer listed on this page US made STIHL Hedge Trimmers are US made. The HS 45 Hedge Trimmer is made in China.

Note: All of their electric products and lithium ion products are made in Austria / Germany.

HarleyT
I remember reading the original list way back when, but never really worried much about it since. I don't think Stihl is too worried about publishing that info, maybe because of the phobia of stuff made in China.

HarleyT
Oh, sorry. I am just used to being piledrived by the kids here. I have to make every post with my flak jacket on, and my guns loaded....
I wasn't expecting that my new Stihl saws would be called "cheap Chinese junk", or that I was incapable of
discerning the difference.
Still not sure why Stihl decided to change the look a tad, I haven't been up to the Expo for a couple of years,
maybe this fall.........