Recomendations for Cordwood saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiteindustries

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi, I am looking to update my Jonsered 630 super(4.3hp) that I use for firewood.I am starting to cut firewood full time now approx 400 cord per season and am looking for recomendations for a durable saw.The 630 has been a great saw and still is but would like to update making the 630 my backup and my Husky 40 a backup to my backup.What else would be a great saw for what I am doing,I assume more HP and light.
What is the best saw for the buck?So I dont start any wars what is the best saw in each brand for the buck.lol
I am also looking to add a processor as $$$ allow.
Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
how does a 357XP, or an MS361 sound? those should be similar in displacment, and performance, if not better than the 630 is.

For production firewood cutting I would personally want a MS440 or ms460 as a minimum.... just for my personal firewood cutting, I used to think my stock 026 was ok, but since I got my 044/18"/8t sprocket/muffler modded I hardly ever touch the 026 anymore... The bigger saw makes much quicker work of bucking cordwood logs

I'm with the guys who have recommended the MS440 (or wait till the 441 comes out) it will not disappoint you

pinus said:
Or wait a "minute" untill MS441 is out ;)
....or get a Husky 372xp or two when they still are available at good prices. It weights about the same as the 630, and will give you an extra HP - even more if you open the muffler or have it modified.

Probably the best "bang for the buck" at the moment"! :blob5:

Personally I would not want to buy a 440 or 460 before we know what sort of animal the 441 turns out to be.

Last edited:
It come down to dealer support and what you want to spend.372xp,dolmar 7900,MS440are all good choicesSlightly smaller MS361,MS390 ,357XP will work also.Dont forget PPE.

I use my ms 440 as a firewood cutter I love the saw it has good power and does nto weigh as much as my 066 mag. I used a ms 361 also and that was a great saw it had plenty of power for a 20 inch bar. I think with a muffler mod either one would be a great choice for a firewood saw. I can't believe you do 400 cords a year that is a lot of firewood.

I use my 046 as my main firewood saw, it makes quick work of pretty much anything and is not that heavy. I like it with the 20-24 bar because it make limbing so easy because you don't have to bend as far. I have an 026 that is light but I use very little because it only has a 16" bar. The 046 is just a more practical saw for me.
Jeff

How about a buzz saw? Dont for get your ear plugs the ringing is unbearable. Save your saw for the woods. Its a little scary at first standing by a 3 foot blade but you will get past that. ;)

Buzz saw,yes 400 + cord this season.

eric_271 said:
How about a buzz saw? Dont for get your ear plugs the ringing is unbearable. Save your saw for the woods. Its a little scary at first standing by a 3 foot blade but you will get past that. ;)

Buzz saw,Do you mean like on the Cordking processor,big circular saw?I like the idea behind that in theory less to maintain as far as a processor goes.Big $$!
400 cord, yes slow and steady wins the race.I have done over 100 cord a year part time.And I do mean part time as I was also running a trucking company at the same time. If you know anything about running trucks then you will understand.2x Autocars,3x Internationals,1 Oshkosh,FMC Sweeper,Leeboy 8000paver and vib roller etc....Not much time left over for wood in the past.
You know what they say about trucking dont you? Want to make a small fortune in trucking?Invest a large fortune!!!Especially here in Massachusetts there is a tax excuse me a fee for everything you do.

Wow thats a lot of cutting! I would guess at least two saw sizes would be needed for best speed vs weight. A person in decent shape can limb and buck smaller stuff all day with a saw the size of my 036. I used to think it was OK for bucking the larger trunks until I put the 20" bar and chain over on my 660 once. With a 20" bar, 8 tooth rim and full compliment RS chain the 660 is an unreal bucking saw. Just last weekend the boys and I were bucking and splitting a large red Elm. The oldest was bucking about 16" stuff with my old Mac 610 (which will dang near keep up with my 036). I was taking full bar cuts with the 660 just a bit further down the trunk and was going 2 for 1 with him. The 660 makes for very fast work out of the big part of a tree but I wouldnt want to limb with it day after day. If I was planning on cutting 400 cord a year in the trees we cut for firewood around here, a 660 size saw would be in my stable. If you dont plan on fooling with large trees then smaller will due.

The wood I am cutting...

Butch(OH) said:
Wow thats a lot of cutting! I would guess at least two saw sizes would be needed for best speed vs weight. A person in decent shape can limb and buck smaller stuff all day with a saw the size of my 036. I used to think it was OK for bucking the larger trunks until I put the 20" bar and chain over on my 660 once. With a 20" bar, 8 tooth rim and full compliment RS chain the 660 is an unreal bucking saw. Just last weekend the boys and I were bucking and splitting a large red Elm. The oldest was bucking about 16" stuff with my old Mac 610 (which will dang near keep up with my 036). I was taking full bar cuts with the 660 just a bit further down the trunk and was going 2 for 1 with him. The 660 makes for very fast work out of the big part of a tree but I wouldnt want to limb with it day after day. If I was planning on cutting 400 cord a year in the trees we cut for firewood around here, a 660 size saw would be in my stable. If you dont plan on fooling with large trees then smaller will due.
Hello,
The wood I am cutting/processing is all processor grade as it stands now.Dropped in my yard.
I used to grab whatever I could(local arborist etc..) and would end up with some big stuff,esp for around here 30" ++ That would eat up allot of time for me and boy would my back ache rolling those sections up onto my splitter,ended up using my forklift to set on the splitter most of the time.Still allot of work compared to 12" stuff.My MSR splitter is allot happier with me now also.lol
When I say light I mean relative to what I am used too, 630super,That is a light saw for me 6'3" 250lbs,It is all relative I guess.
Thank you all for the insight,please keep it coming.I am learning a ton!

No Body Talks About ECHO SAWS

I just went saw shopping last week end. Looked at a MS-390,MS-440, MS-460 Sthils and Husky 372XP. Came home with a ECHO CS-670. Why you might ask! Price, features, guarantee and the dealer knew his saws. :blob5: So far I like the saw.

Any idea what Horse power the ECHO puts out?

calh said:
I just went saw shopping last week end. Looked at a MS-390,MS-440, MS-460 Sthils and Husky 372XP. Came home with a ECHO CS-670. Why you might ask! Price, features, guarantee and the dealer knew his saws. :blob5: So far I like the saw.

I havent been in a dealer in my area that carrys ECHO saws.Any idea what the 670 puts out for horse power.I looked on line couldnt find a rateing anywhere.Looks like a nice saw.

go down to see Mo at MF Roberts and get yourself a MS460 and be done with it! Great saws OR if you can still find one a 372 is one of the best saws EVER!!

Back