Recomendations for Cordwood saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man Ive got to go there.lol

BostonBull said:
go down to see Mo at MF Roberts and get yourself a MS460 and be done with it! Great saws OR if you can still find one a 372 is one of the best saws EVER!!
I spent six winters with those guys,we plowed and sanded out of Pine St. together.
I was looking at a 357 today.
What made you go with the 460 instead of a Husky?

I use Husky everyday at Mayer. 372's mostly. We use Stihl climbing saws though. I like Stihls better is all it comes down to. I think they are a superior product. We jsut ordered our 3 357 this year. Good little saw but wouldnt use it for firewood. The 460 is also just so slightly more powerful than a 372.

What do you think of the Dolmar 7900?

Whiteindustries said:
Hi, I am looking to update my Jonsered 630 super(4.3hp) that I use for firewood.I am starting to cut firewood full time now approx 400 cord per season and am looking for recommendations for a durable saw.The 630 has been a great saw and still is but would like to update making the 630 my backup and my Husky 40 a backup to my backup.What else would be a great saw for what I am doing,I assume more HP and light.
What is the best saw for the buck?So I dont start any wars what is the best saw in each brand for the buck.lol
I am also looking to add a processor as $$$ allow.
Thanks for the input.

This seems like allot of bang for the buck,5.8hp at 13.6 lbs for $599.95! How are they as far as saws go compared to say the Stihl or Husky products? I have no experience with Dolmar.I've owned Homelites,Stihl,Husky and Jonsered cant say I know anyone with a Dolmar.

Last edited:
TreeCo said:
Sorry to hear it.
Dan
That's about what I thought too, when I saw the post.

Should be better than the MS390, though.

PS: I have never touched such an Echo saw, but I have read a lot about it on this forum.

Whiteindustries said:
This seems like allot of bang for the buck,5.8hp at 13.6 lbs for $599.95! .......

6.3 hp, actually - same as Husky 385xp! :)
It weights a bit more than adverticed, as the Husky 372xp does.

Real power to weight champ in this class, the 7900.
There have been some complaints on oiler and chain tensioner issues, but hopefully these are solved by now. :angel:

Ask Tony M - he should know.

PS-7900

Last edited:
Why not stick with a Jonsered? You are already used to the 90 degree handle, as opposed to the 7 degree offset on Huskys and stihls. The 2171turbo is essentially the same as the Husky 372 and they are still available at any Jonsered dealer. Because of the different mix of saws that Jonsered sells, and the way they choose to use their EPA credits, this saw stays around for a while. Some of my 372 lovers are switching to this saw and some of them are going to the 357 rather than the 575.

Was out to Gloucester and Rockport a couple of weeks ago. There was a nasty low hanging out south of Long Island and the waves were really hitting the rocks. The north shore is a beautiful place!

spike60 said:
Why not stick with a Jonsered? You are already used to the 90 degree handle, as opposed to the 7 degree offset on Huskys and stihls. The 2171turbo is essentially the same as the Husky 372 and they are still available at any Jonsered dealer. Because of the different mix of saws that Jonsered sells, and the way they choose to use their EPA credits, this saw stays around for a while. Some of my 372 lovers are switching to this saw and some of them are going to the 357 rather than the 575.

Was out to Gloucester and Rockport a couple of weeks ago. There was a nasty low hanging out south of Long Island and the waves were really hitting the rocks. The north shore is a beautiful place!

Hi, I love my Jonsered but not much dealer support around me anymore(Great product,Poor distribution).Seem to be limited in product line from, what I have seen advertised.I can still get parts but mostly special order.So I figured I'd look at anything and everything if I need to order most everything.
I know it isn't considered a saw but I had a Stihl 009 for trimming and I really wasn't impressed(That should piss some guys off.lol)I am sure the larger saws will go head to head with any of them.
Most of the loggers that I have meet threw the years including my Uncle love Husky's.He threw it in my face when I went red.lol Ole red is still going strong after 17 years, nothing wrong with that.All in how you maintain them I guess.
I figure if I am going to spend somewhere around $600+- and have it for 15 years + that I should'nt jump into anything.Kind of like a wife.
The profit ratio for firewood isn't close to what an arborist makes for a days work, around here anyways,so I figured a little research wouldn't hurt.
I lived in Gloucester for six years,It changed allot while I was there(People wise)up and coming as they say.Time for me to head north.Always will be a beautiful place to visit.

No one has asked the obvious question. What size wood do you expect to be cutting? That will certainly drive the selection of a saw. It looks like some make the recommendation to have a firewood processor. That is a pricy option, but an option. Figure one that is of good quality and large enough will run $25K and still only be able to cut wood that is less than 28 inches thick. Big wood requires a big splitter/.processor like a Timberwolf T-10 http://www.timberwolfcorp.com/splitters/product_line.htm

Priced at about $45K

But for a saw, lots of choices in the 50 to 70 cc range. Brand gets down to personnal preference.

Hal

Already saving for the Processor/Leaning towards...

Wolfcsm said:
No one has asked the obvious question. What size wood do you expect to be cutting? That will certainly drive the selection of a saw. It looks like some make the recommendation to have a firewood processor. That is a pricy option, but an option. Figure one that is of good quality and large enough will run $25K and still only be able to cut wood that is less than 28 inches thick. Big wood requires a big splitter/.processor like a Timberwolf T-10 http://www.timberwolfcorp.com/splitters/product_line.htm

Priced at about $45K

But for a saw, lots of choices in the 50 to 70 cc range. Brand gets down to personnal preference.

Hal

Thanks ,
Already have a processor fund going.Even with most processors I will still need a couple of saws for ends etc...
Have been there done that with big wood over 25"++ not worth my time or effort, all logs processor grade approx 10"-20".
I am not one of these brand loyal guys, will listen to any and all advice and hopefully end up with a saw that is great for me.Just looking for the most bang for the buck, and if it happens to say Makita on it then oh well.lol Still something strange about a chainsaw with Makita on the side I must say.
I am leaning towards these saws from what I have read so far.Jonsered 2171,Husky 372,Stihl 440/460,Dolmar 7900/Makita 7901 they seem to fit what I am looking for power to weight ,a step above my last saw, Approx 1-1.5.hp more than I am using now.
Any idea what a good/fair price would be on the MS440 or MS460...The other brands are easy to research, Stihl does a good job at protecting their prices.

Last edited:
True.

I have found that both Stihl and Husky are great. The 066 I have is a monster. With a 36' bar it walks through the OAK here with no problems. When I put a 24' bar on it, it literaly drops through 20 inch wood. But it gets heavy. Most will say that the 310 I have is a nasty homeowner saw. I find that it works well getting through anything but the biggest wood I work with. The Husky is great for a lot of things and it is light.

I would thing something between the 310 and the 066 would be a great compromise between the two. But if you are not going into wood over about 20", you might want to look at the 260/ 260 pro. Light and lots of power.

Again, depends on what you are wanting to do.

Hal

Saw Prices

Price I was quoted for MS-390 $479.95 MS-440 $759.95 MS-460 $789.95 These prices were with 28" bars. Husky 372xp 28" bar $719.00. I am afraid to mention the price for the Echo CS- 670 that I bought ;)

Ballpark on the Echo?.

calh said:
Price I was quoted for MS-390 $479.95 MS-440 $759.95 MS-460 $789.95 These prices were with 28" bars. Husky 372xp 28" bar $719.00. I am afraid to mention the price for the Echo CS- 670 that I bought ;)

Ok I give, what does the Echo go for+-?
Thank You for the prices also.

Cheaper than any of the others! I looked for the HP rating, but it's not listed in any of the literature that came with the saw.

I just found...

calh said:
Cheaper than any of the others! I looked for the HP rating, but it's not listed in any of the literature that came with the saw.

I just found an ad for Dolmar/Makita 7301 20" Used/ New condition.I looked up the specs 5.4hp 13.5lbs asking $290- found online new $499.95+ Not what I was thinking but looks like a good deal.

calh said:
Echo is holding the cards real tight regarding power output, and not without reason, I think. :angry:
It also has only 67 cc, and statements I have read in earlier treads indicate substansially less power than a 372/2171 or 440.
Probably a bit more weight into the bargain.

Whiteindustries said:
I just found an ad for Dolmar/Makita 7301 20" Used/ New condition.I looked up the specs 5.4hp 13.5lbs asking $290- found online new $499.95+ Not what I was thinking but looks like a good deal.
Looks like a good deal, and the hp number you have seen is definately a misprint - it should read 5.7 or 5.8..... :angel:

SawTroll said:
Looks like a good deal, and the hp number you have seen is definately a misprint - it should read 5.7 or 5.8..... :angel:

You sure about that SawTroll? He said 7301.

Russ

Well Jokers,
it is the same saw as the PS-7300, isn't it?

PS-7300 is adverticed at 4.2 kW/5.7 hp, and tested at 4.4 kW by DLG/KWF.
I know you don't like those tests, but anyway.... PS-7300
I believe I have read a couple of times that the lower rating sometime seen on the Makita colored saws were misprints......

I just went through and read the whole thread and was pleasantly surprised to see alot of what I consider good recommendations.

Now my two cents(which jives with many others). If you are honestly cutting 400 cord/year, a 70cc saw is the minimum. As you`ve stated, light is a relative term and weight shouldn`t be a big issue for a guy your size who can do 400 cord per year. I`d plan to have two saws though and I would match them, ie: two 7900s or two 660s. For the kind of production that you are planning, 660s with short bars or better yet, EHP modded 7900s would be the hot ticket IMO.

Russ

It isnt that I want, It is...

jokers said:
I just went through and read the whole thread and was pleasantly surprised to see alot of what I consider good recommendations.

Now my two cents(which jives with many others). If you are honestly cutting 400 cord/year, a 70cc saw is the minimum. As you`ve stated, light is a relative term and weight shouldn`t be a big issue for a guy your size who can do 400 cord per year. I`d plan to have two saws though and I would match them, ie: two 7900s or two 660s. For the kind of production that you are planning, 660s with short bars or better yet, EHP modded 7900s would be the hot ticket IMO.

Russ

LoL, It isnt that I want to do 400 cord,it is that I need to.Cost of living and all that Happy B.S.
I am running a 20" bar now on my 630s and like it.A good size for the wood that I typically cut.
I figured the Husky 40 for and trim work,The 630s for my backup and still leaning toward the Dolmar/Makita 7900 for my primary saw.Installing a 13hp with 22gpm pump on my splitter now(was 8hp 16gpm),4 way wedge.also have a 20' conveyor,just not a processor yet!
I could am planning to cut down the cord number buy selling what I call yuppie wood.1/8 cord deliveries, include a rack(Deposit or purchase) and the customer calls for refills as needed.That works out to about $400+ a cord,keeps their ski house clean,no bugs, no dirt nothing for them to trip over all summer etc...I am also looking into Kilns now,from greenhouses to Refer containers converted over.This is more for my yuppie wood customers.
With the four season resort area there are ski houses/condos everywhere allot of $$$. I really think once word is out that the yuppie wood will take off.I have had a very positive response with property managers I just need to get up and running again.Moving S#@ks!
We have a old timer that comes down from NH to Mass, he sells one row across the back of his 1 ton dump,nice dry, CLEAN seasoned wood to a long list of customers for $150-a row(last years price),he loads it into a bushel basket brings it in the house for them.They LOVE it! I am sure he loves it!Does a load a day($900gross).
So I guess even in firewood as anything the term work smarter, not harder fits.

Latest posts

Back