Recomendations for Cordwood saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More On Echo Cs-670

If you haven't already done so use the search feature of the site and search for the CS-670. Some good information their.

Thanks,

calh said:
If you haven't already done so use the search feature of the site and search for the CS-670. Some good information their.

I did a bunch of searches, some good stuff.
I found out today my local Home Depot rents the Makita 6401 saws.Guess I'll have to try one out this week.

Try a 460 or a 385. for the am ount of work your doing these sas will be nin ce if they are too haevy try the 440 or 372.

SawTroll said:
Well Jokers,
it is the same saw as the PS-7300, isn't it?

PS-7300 is adverticed at 4.2 kW/5.7 hp, and tested at 4.4 kW by DLG/KWF.
I know you don't like those tests, but anyway.... PS-7300
I believe I have read a couple of times that the lower rating sometime seen on the Makita colored saws were misprints......

The Dolmar web site does say 5.7 bHP for the 7300. 6.3 bHP for the 7900. From the little I know about these saws the 7300 and 7301 are identical (except for color) :)

Whiteindustries said:
I found out today my local Home Depot rents the Makita 6401 saws.Guess I'll have to try one out this week.

I also noticed Home Depot rents those. I was thinking of trying one. Not that I am interested in a 6400/6401, but I am interested in the 7900. Maybe the characteristics are the same.
Its also interesting how Home Depot sells the small (40-50cc) Homelite, Echo, and MacCulloch. Yet, when it comes to rentals (where they need a reliable saw they have to service) they choose the Makita 6401. Anyone considering the first three should think about that.

Last edited:
Whiteindustries said:

Probably too small for you though Whiteindustries.

Whiteindustries said:
Thanks ,
Already have a processor fund going.Even with most processors I will still need a couple of saws for ends etc...
Have been there done that with big wood over 25"++ not worth my time or effort, all logs processor grade approx 10"-20".
I am not one of these brand loyal guys, will listen to any and all advice and hopefully end up with a saw that is great for me.Just looking for the most bang for the buck, and if it happens to say Makita on it then oh well.lol Still something strange about a chainsaw with Makita on the side I must say.
I am leaning towards these saws from what I have read so far.Jonsered 2171,Husky 372,Stihl 440/460,Dolmar 7900/Makita 7901 they seem to fit what I am looking for power to weight ,a step above my last saw, Approx 1-1.5.hp more than I am using now.
Any idea what a good/fair price would be on the MS440 or MS460...The other brands are easy to research, Stihl does a good job at protecting their prices.

Whiteindustries,
I've got a sale on Dolmar 7900's and also just got in a Timberwolf TW-Pro MX Firewood Processor yesterday! We are about 4 Hours west of you near the VT/MA border.
Steve

Thank You Steve,sent you an email.

166 said:

Whiteindustries,
I've got a sale on Dolmar 7900's and also just got in a Timberwolf TW-Pro MX Firewood Processor yesterday! We are about 4 Hours west of you near the VT/MA border.
Steve

Thanks Steve,sent you off an email.
Sorry to say a new Processor isnt in the budget this season,maybe next?Need to purchase a couple acres first.

stay with jonsered

on the average i have cut 5-10 cord a year hard sugar maple and beech,with jonsered 625 since '92 and i've never had any problems. picked up a 066 last year for bigger trees, lots of power but uses fuel twice as fast it seems.

Jonny 625

Woodfarmer...I also have a Jonsered 625. It is a 93 mfr saw and was well used before I bought it last summer at a reputable pawn shop in central WA state. This is one nice old saw with "grunt" and good speed. I also own two new Echo 670's. Not 2 new but new. They have the same characteristics as the Jonny 625 and I expect them to live longer than me. The box stores around here do not sell this saw. I you like your Jonsered, you will love the CS670, imho. :p

SawTroll said:
Echo is holding the cards real tight regarding power output, and not without reason, I think. :angry:
It also has only 67 cc, and statements I have read in earlier treads indicate substansially less power than a 372/2171 or 440.
Probably a bit more weight into the bargain.
I found some specs on the CS-6702, which I believe is the version sold in Europe, in a 2 year old printout from a UK site.
It stated 3.2 kW, which is on par with an Husky 357xp and just .1 kw more than the Jred 630 - and 6.5 kg, which is the same as MS460. :umpkin:

No wonder they have stopped publishing power outputs of their saws!
:blob5:

Last edited:
Whiteindustries said:
It would be fun to run just to see how it does.I like trying different things just to see.
The 6400/6401 should provide a .5 hp gain for about the same weigh, compared to the Jred 630.

SawTroll said:
Well Jokers,
it is the same saw as the PS-7300, isn't it?

Yup, my mistake!

The only reasons that I don`t like those tests is because #1 they don`t always test the exact models we get in North America and #2 I think that they have a distinct German product bias.

Russ

jokers said:
The only reasons that I don`t like those tests is because #1 they don`t always test the exact models we get in North America and #2 I think that they have a distinct German product bias.
Russ
Fair enough!

You might want to check out a JD-CS62/Efco 962 it's a little smaller than most of the saws mentioned here but the price and power to weight is very good, jmo.

SawTroll said:
The 6400/6401 should provide a .5 hp gain for about the same weigh, compared to the Jred 630.
I forgot to add;

....., but power to weight is not great by todays standards.
It should be OK to rent one to get a feel for the ergonomics and balance, but step up to one of the larger engines when it is time to buy!

sawsome said:
You might want to check out a JD-CS62/Efco 962 it's a little smaller than most of the saws mentioned here but the price and power to weight is very good, jmo.
I think that size of saws was ruled out earlier in this tread.

Power to weight of the 62 cc version in that series of saws (made by Emak in Italy and sold under several brand names) is quite good, but that is not the case of the bigger ones.

The only real complaints I have seen, has been about the anti-vibe and the fit and finish of the saws.

Latest posts

Back