recommend boots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonesxl1100

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hey all,

I was wondering if there were any recommendations for boots. I currently wear the red wings 1412 boot now. These were good boots for when i was a cable guy. But I'm looking for something that is better suited for the work I'm in now. Im currently a groundsman for a tree company now.

I assume steel toe would be best. i looked at the loggers that red wings make but they all seem to be pretty warm boots. I was looking for something I can wear warm weather as the season is coming. I'll probably buy a set for cold weather too eventually. Unless there is a pair that works year round. i actually wear the redwings mentioned above year round. Theye aren't too warm so they are tolerable in the summer months and tolerable in the winter months. Although my feet do get a bit cold sometimes.

Anyway, any suggestions? Price is not too much of a problem as I am willing to spend what I have to for safety and comfort.

I'm currently wearing chippewas. I think they have been the best mid range price boot I have tried so far. I want to get a pair of fitted wesco boots this year. They look very comfortable. The chippewas are about a year old and are beginning to wear out. My spurs seem to wear hard and the inside of the outside of the boot, the stitching and leather is wearing out. If that makes sence. Other boots I have tried didn't even last a year. I hate wearing steel toes in the winter but it's a must.

those look and sound great. I wondr if there is a dealer near me.

You'll pay about 100.00 more at a local dealer.

The working person site has the greatest return policy anywhere.
They even let you print return postage and an address label on your printer.

If they don't fit when you get them, just ship them back.
No cost , No hassle.

Reachtreeservi, how tall are those ? I need to get a pair for this year. I've seen some that are 16" tall. I get bad chaffing/twisting from my Buckingham's on my legs. I think I may get the super pads or the aluminum pads.

I only have loggers on when I am in spikes. If I am working on the ground I will wear red wing 2408s unless it is muddy. If your going to be dragging brush I would say get something with out a heel. Thats just me like I said before, my loggers come off at the base of the tree. good luck.
:cheers:

Reachtreeservi, how tall are those ? I need to get a pair for this year. I've seen some that are 16" tall. I get bad chaffing/twisting from my Buckingham's on my legs. I think I may get the super pads or the aluminum pads.

Those are 10 In. tall.

Are you wrapping the bottom strap around the shank and then going to the buckle ? Not just going over the shank.
Wrapping it like that will most likely solve the twisting problem.

I use the super climber pads. They work pretty good. Although I don't have any complaints , My next set of pads will be the alum. caddy pads.
Just to try something different and Lots of people rave about them.

I agree with swampy about getting out of the climbers asap. I wear a pair of 6 in. boots on the ground.

Last edited:
I have Westcos, Vibergs, Hoffmans and Whites. My unconsiuis mind always has me reaching for the Whites.

Those are 10 In. tall.

Are you wrapping the bottom strap around the shank and then going to the buckle ? Not just going over the shank.
Wrapping it like that will most likely solve the twisting problem.

I use the super climber pads. They work pretty good. Although I don't have any complaints , My next set of pads will be the alum. caddy pads.
Just to try something different and Lots of people rave about them.

I agree with swampy about getting out of the climbers asap. I wear a pair of 6 in. boots on the ground.

reach just curious what do you mean by wrapping the strap around the shank and then going to the buckle? my spurs twist sometimes and sometimes they dont. just curious. hoping to solve the problem

reach just curious what do you mean by wrapping the strap around the shank and then going to the buckle? my spurs twist sometimes and sometimes they dont. just curious. hoping to solve the problem

Check out the attached pic I got from the Sherrill website.

I'm currently wearing chippewas. I think they have been the best mid range price boot I have tried so far. I want to get a pair of fitted wesco boots this year. They look very comfortable. The chippewas are about a year old and are beginning to wear out. My spurs seem to wear hard and the inside of the outside of the boot, the stitching and leather is wearing out. If that makes sence. Other boots I have tried didn't even last a year. I hate wearing steel toes in the winter but it's a must.

Chippewas are great boots, but beware, they make some in China, they call them sport utility boots. Check before you buy!

Wrapping the bottem strap.

It'll solve the twisting.
If you have big feet like me (size 13) it is very hard to wrap the shaft and get the strap buckled.
I can only get it in the last hole on the strap. And they are even harder to unbuckle and remove. But it works great.

I am a huge fan of my georgia loggers. For the $190 that you pay for them, they go a long way.

Latest posts

Back