Recommend me a saw - details inside

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steelheader

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So, I’m new, not just to the site but to the wide world of chainsaws. Well, sort of. I’m just a simple homeowner looking for a “new-to-me” saw. I’ve had a few over the years - various Poulan, macs, or other - but I’m looking for something a little different this time around. Let me explain...

First, the saw is going to be used mainly for light firewood duty, rarely bucking logs bigger than 8”-10”. Occasionally, I’ll have reason to cut into something larger, like an oak round (16”-20”). We don’t burn a lot, but I like to keep a supply handy because sometimes I’ll provide wood to my parents and sister as well.

Second, I’d prefer to stick with a Stihl or Echo because the local shop can help me with parts for those brands.

Which brings me to number three. I would like to find a decent used saw that’s easy to work on. I love to work on things, and I’d like to find a saw that plays well in the workshop. I have some experience working on equipment, so it won’t be foreign to me. I want to be able to learn to work on them and be able to work on it with my kids. Anything I can do to pass skills on to them is a win in my book.

Sorry for the long post, just trying to share. So much good info from this site already, maybe someday I’ll be able to contribute too.

Thanks!

The 490 is just a lotta bang for the buck. 50cc metal case. The Huskys and Echos at this size and price point are plastic.

490 with a super easy muffler mod and carb retune is a great saw and great value for the money. Go Echo web site and look for Customer Appreciation tab. States are listed alphabetically and find a participating dealer near you. At 20% off for the sale you can get a new 490 for $275.

+1 - another vote for in in the CS-490.
I vote for the kids.. Anyt0220170813.jpg hing to promote life skills is TOPS in my book.. If you live close I have a ton of left behind saws that I will donate to the cause..the classic run a day, fix a day, cuss a day, saws.. Cheers. K. Eastern Washington

I c some xl' s on the shelf. Is that a Honda Dream I see?

Steve
Steve, got that right.. The dreams (2) went to a friend's place. Ran outta room. And the XL's. Have maybe ten. So easy to exchange parts. Homelite buit a couple hundred million of em over the years.. But you knew that. Need a part? Different subject.. There's an add on Craigslist.. Chainsaw case.. $20..... Sh*T, I can't give em away fast enough. There's my morning vent.. I love this site..my wife hates it. I suggested we meet in the middle, SAY, MAYBE,,, the DEBBIE DOES DALLAS,,, site.. Now I really am without.. There's my morning ribbing.. Cheers. K

If you want to do the repairs yourself, why need a dealer?
Any pro-ish 40 to 50 cc 3hp will do with a 15" bar. Gut feeling says dolkita 421 for simple maintaining and lack of issues reasons. Just not a lot of experience with Echo.
Make sure to have all the safety stuff on it. Inertia activated chainbrake and the likes. Stihls can be good (as long as you can find out what the homeowner/ranch/pro range is) but overpriced specially used. At least on the other side of the pond.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

As others have said, the Dolkita 421 is a quality built, spunky, and easy to work on little saw for anything under 12", but it will feel under powered on those occasions when you want to cut up quantities of hardwood over 16". I usually reach for 60cc's when I run into hardwood over 14"+.

A ported 50cc saw would likely be your best bet for a 1 saw solution. Light weight, handy for the predominantly smaller stuff you mentioned, but with some more jam when you occasionally want to cut into larger wood.

If you don't want to port a 50cc saw, then a stock 50cc on it's own might be ok, but in the long run, you will likely want 2 saws to provide adequate power across your stated tree sizes. I cut up an 18" hard maple on a steep hillside yesterday with my EA4300 (dolmar 421) and I was really wishing I had my 562xp with me.

Latest posts

Back