Recommend me a saw - details inside

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been reading up on the dolmar/makita saws, and other than the occasional complaint, they seem like solid machines. So, I was coming back from vacationing on the central California coast, and I stopped at two HDs that were supposed to have the 4300 Makita for sale since none in my area do. Sadly, they only had the larger 20” saw. I really didn’t want it, so I moved along. Found a local Echo dealer that’s participating in the dealer appreciation sale and a lead on a like new/slightly used 490. I’ll probably go see the 490 tomorrow if they’re willing to consider a reasonable price.

I’ve been reading up on the dolmar/makita saws, and other than the occasional complaint, they seem like solid machines. So, I was coming back from vacationing on the central California coast, and I stopped at two HDs that were supposed to have the 4300 Makita for sale since none in my area do. Sadly, they only had the larger 20” saw. I really didn’t want it, so I moved along. Found a local Echo dealer that’s participating in the dealer appreciation sale and a lead on a like new/slightly used 490. I’ll probably go see the 490 tomorrow if they’re willing to consider a reasonable price.

IMHO if you were to get a Makita EA4300, get a used or unsold unit that is built before the first months of 2017. At some point, Makita moved the production of that saw, and other lower cc saws (below 50cc) to China. Not knocking the production of these saws in China, its just that producing something at a new location may not have the same outcome as the 'tried and true'. I ordered mine from eBay directly out of Germany.

Or, if you go with the Echo, I hear they have some great prices on their farm/ranch models (490, 590, etc.). Great saws.....good luck finding yours!

So, I’m new, not just to the site but to the wide world of chainsaws. Well, sort of. I’m just a simple homeowner looking for a “new-to-me” saw. I’ve had a few over the years - various Poulan, macs, or other - but I’m looking for something a little different this time around. Let me explain...

First, the saw is going to be used mainly for light firewood duty, rarely bucking logs bigger than 8”-10”. Occasionally, I’ll have reason to cut into something larger, like an oak round (16”-20”). We don’t burn a lot, but I like to keep a supply handy because sometimes I’ll provide wood to my parents and sister as well.

Second, I’d prefer to stick with a Stihl or Echo because the local shop can help me with parts for those brands.

Which brings me to number three. I would like to find a decent used saw that’s easy to work on. I love to work on things, and I’d like to find a saw that plays well in the workshop. I have some experience working on equipment, so it won’t be foreign to me. I want to be able to learn to work on them and be able to work on it with my kids. Anything I can do to pass skills on to them is a win in my book.

Sorry for the long post, just trying to share. So much good info from this site already, maybe someday I’ll be able to contribute too.

Thanks!

get you a Stihl 026, ms260 or a 028 super all are great saws and are cheap for what you will be getting.

I would just keep an eye on my local craigslist or offerup for a good used 026, 036, 044 or husky 365/372 perhaps Dolmar. If I went new echo it would be a cs590. Just make sure it runs/oils well and pull the muffler off to make sure the piston and cylinder look good.

Latest posts

Back