Recommendations for a first saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My last years firewood oak log pile, "butt" diameter up to 1.4 meters (~55"):
2015 firewood2.JPG 2015 firewood3.JPG 2015 firewood6.JPG Dolmar PS-7900 20inch bar oak logs.JPG

All I had at that time where 20" B&C setups for both my Dolmar PS-6400 & Dolmar PS-7900.
It took two sided bucking on the large diameter logs, but neither my Dolmar PS-6400 nor my Dolmar PS-7900 missed a beat bucking them with the bar FULLY buried in oak. :cool:

Until this year I used exclusively Dolmar branded Oregon loops and occasionally Oregon loops.
All I ever used is round filed chisel full complement 3/8" .058" and it served me very well thus far.

The Dolmar PS-7900 is more fun to play with hands down, but the Dolmar PS-6400 sports a up to 50% better fuel economy.

I love them both, each for their own pros! :heart:

For most people there isn't a Dolmar dealer within 100 miles
No need for one on the 64xx/73xx/79xx family. :dancing:

I get all my Dolmar related stuff through a Dolmar web shop from Germany, about 1200KM away - I get my purchases within 3 work days!

All I ever did on my Dolmar PS-6400 was replacing the piston assembly (had some carbon scoring), although I could have just slapped on a new piston ring, which I purchased through eBay from Greece.

My Dolmar PS-7900 was purchased used and didn't require any repair thus far - KNOCK ON WOOD! :rock:

I know the dolkitas are solid performers, but I have never understood the selling point of "it's a 60cc saw in an 80cc chassis"
Just get a 362. It's what you want, and most folks like them.

I know the dolkitas are solid performers, but I have never understood the selling point of "it's a 60cc saw in an 80cc chassis"
I like the thought of fully interchangeable parts, bars and chains, as well as identical handling and behavior.

The 64'er is my undisputed go-to-saw, my 79'er is my extreme and fun saw, and my two 40cc's are basically holding the shelf in place - although the other day while cutting up dead trees in my relatives orchard I started remembering some benefits of a small saw.

Each to his own!
I passed several opportunities of getting cheap/affordable smaller used Dolmar saws just because I realized I would rarely ever use them!
I only regret not jumping on that pawnshop PS-7310 I missed out on. :( I would have loved having another one of these.

Here is the 6100 next to the 40cc 421. The 6100 is my first choice in a 60cc saw. But there are others that are good alternatives.20160726_214956.jpg

For most people there isn't a Dolmar dealer within 100 miles

Wouldn't bother me with their reliability, and like others said buy it online... No known carb or lean seizure problems, and I know plenty of guys breaking past their 200hr of operation mark. Besides if something breaks after warranty that's what we online saw vets are for. We'll tell you how to fix it. I have a husky dealers and Stihl dealer a lot closer than a dolmar dealer but the owners and maintenance techs are idiots and I wouldn't trust them to fix my expensive new saw anyhow. Just saying dealers can be closer but a worse option sometimes... A 23 yr/old kid that can swap a carb isn't a saw mech. And knowing how to fix your own stuff is a bonus when something isn't running right. Just 2 cents... Take it or leave it.

I suggested a 6100 not a 6400... 362 and 6100 roughly same size.

Wouldn't bother me with their reliability, and like others said buy it online... No known carb or lean seizure problems, and I know plenty of guys breaking past their 200hr of operation mark. Besides if something breaks after warranty that's what we online saw vets are for. We'll tell you how to fix it. I have a husky dealers and Stihl dealer a lot closer than a dolmar dealer but the owners and maintenance techs are idiots and I wouldn't trust them to fix my expensive new saw anyhow. Just saying dealers can be closer but a worse option sometimes... A 23 yr/old kid that can swap a carb isn't a saw mech. And knowing how to fix your own stuff is a bonus when something isn't running right. Just 2 cents... Take it or leave it.

I agree with nstueve, I got in touch with the Sydney Makita OPE, (O P E) rep when I was looking at buying a 70cc saw. I asked who are the local dealers who have the saws in stock..... Answer was none. So I use nate in Ohio as my local dealer 9500M from my house. I can get parts for less then the equivalent Stihl or Husky part to my my door in 4 days.
If I need tips or advice I just come on here. done problem sloved!

The Makita/Dolmar 6400/6421's are a great deal for the price used, as referenced earlier ($300-$400). Like was posted as well, you can upgrade the 6400-series saws to a 79cc piston and cylinder and turn it into a real hot rod. Same weight as a 64cc, but a LOT more power. More power in the same weight of powerhead= faster cutting time with less fatigue. The less time you have to hold a saw to get through a cut, the better. Sharp chains of good quality and quantity cannot be overlooked. Some chains are better for clean wood, some are better for wood with dust and dirt in the bark. The main thing is to show up to cut wood with 3+ chains sharp and ready to work. Watch your cutting speed and pay attention to how hard you have to push the saw to cut the wood. If you are having to push it to cut, the chain is wrong for the application or dull or the rakers are too high. Having lots of power also allows you to set the rakers lower and cut much faster, leaving huge chips instead of little sawdust powder. Using Stihl RS chain or other brands with similar design will be an eye opener to most homeowners who have never ran a pro saw with a good chain, heck, even running a good chain on a homeowner saw makes a big difference if the saw/user can handle it. Also, running high quality bar/chain oil will save you money and chain/bar life.

My recommendation is to stay away from the older Stihl generations (026-034) of saws unless you find an awesome deal on one with low hours and very clean (less than ~$300 for an 034 and less than $200 for an 026). The 044 would be an exception to that statement, but you aren't likely to find one for less than $450-$500, and they are usually pretty ragged looking/ needing attention by the time they are sold. The Anti vibe system on this generation of Stihl is considered good to minimum by many. Most of the rubber AV pieces are worn out on the saws I see and many or all have to be replaced even on nice looking saws with low hours, simply because the rubber got old. The Stihl saws are more complicated to work on and figure out than any other brand for the new mechanic/user, in my opinion. The Husky 257, 262xp, or 357xp series are good as well; Huskies, Dolmars, and Echo's are much more open chassis saws and they are intuitive to work on. Cleaning any dirty saw is the hardest part to fixing 99% of them.

Another awesome deal new or used is the Echo CS-590 (new is $399, I have seen used ones near Denver for $175!), Echo products are quality made and the parts cost isn't ridiculous like Stihl. That CS-590 is probably the cheapest magnesium cased new saw in the 60cc size range that you can get. The Anti Vibe is supposedly very good on them and many here like them very much.

folks really talk up the echo value but I have not run one...what ya got for a dealer near by that is a important deciding factor....value used husky 55 is a runner stihl folks love the 026 line and 036 line if ya can find a nice 036 I day go for it..kind of depends on what you want for comfort...nice ride spring av mounts willing to go kinda old school rubber mounts the possibilities go on and on...I got a 2054 jonsereds out of the dump few weeks ago it's almost my favorite saw at the moment so go figure...this is of no help except to let you understand this forum is not a place of rational behavior...

go luck and enjoy the ride

lol :ices_rofl:

My Dolmar PS-6400 alongside my Dolmar PS-7900: View attachment 517945 View attachment 517946

My Dolmar PS-7900 wearing her 36" B&C setup: View attachment 517947 View attachment 517948

I know it is not of much help to the OP, but as a homeowner firewood hack I am extremely pleased with my saw lineup! :)
And besides, we all like pictures. ;)

The Dolmar PS-6400 (and equivalent successors and Makita versions) is being greatly overlooked because she's a 60cc class saw in a 70/80cc class saw's body - but be assured she wont miss a beat under any kind of load, neither softwood nor hardwood.

To be continued (can't attach more pictures) ...

I like it too...

I like it too...
Thank You! :cheers:

There is a "not running, don't know why" Dolmar PS-5000 listed locally (in my town) at a very tempting price - I am resisting to go check it out! :dizzy:
Got to resist for two more days, then I'll be out of town for two weeks, thus the temptation will be relieved. ;)

In your home town, tempting price, a decent size gap to fill (40cc - 64cc) and only two days.
You better get a move on :laugh:
I don't NEED it at all o_O, but the WANTING is really strong! :innocent:

The asking price is about 110$, claimed non running, no word regarding B&C.
The 2 posted pictures show scratches from normal usage, possibly slight abuse. The fuel tank cap looks somewhat damaged, as if the thumb holds are broken off . Also the clutch cover might have a crack unless it is an optical illusion. Other than that the saw looks rather clean/decent.

I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, ... :dumb2:

I don't NEED it at all o_O, but the WANTING is really strong! :innocent:

The asking price is about 110$, claimed non running, no word regarding B&C.
The 2 posted pictures show scratches from normal usage, possibly slight abuse. The fuel tank cap looks somewhat damaged, as if the thumb holds are broken off . Also the clutch cover might have a crack unless it is an optical illusion. Other than that the saw looks rather clean/decent.

I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, I don't need this saw, ... :dumb2:

that is half the battle, maybe 3/4ths... lol

Back