Recommendations for a first saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could always fix it and move it on if you dont like it. You also dont need a 6400 & a 7900 :yes:.
Dolmar's are not very sought after here, this (Croatia) is Stihl territory!

Truth, I don't need a PS-6400 nor a PS-7900!
Whatever they do now did my Sachs-Dolmar 105 for over a decade respectively! respekt.gif
Sachs-Dolmar 105 oak.JPG

But lets face it, a saw more powerful than needed for the job at hand is more fun. :rock:

I think I WANT a PS-9010 even though I have absolutely no use for her. :happybanana:

... I stopped getting emails about updates on Friday and haven't been on this site since ... what a ton of info. Thanks!

The #1 reason I'm looking at used saws is so that the rest of the kit fits into a $750 budget.

Yes, there is a great Husky rental/service shop here in Boone, but I rarely see any used pro Husky's listed anywhere unless they're the really big saws (80cc + ... that might be a sign ...).

There's a Stihl elite service shop in Boone too, with a few in AVL. 1/2 of my planned cutting will be in Maggie Valley, and with my work schedule and girlfriend living further west, I'll be in Asheville and Haywood county 1/2 of my week.

A handful of Dolmar shops are in the greater AVL or Boone areas, but most are a 30 mile drive from either. It sounds like they're easy to get parts for and work on them.

Also, having done a lot of techie work in the past, and owning an '84 diesel Benz that is built like a tank and a dream to work on, the pro class saws should be built better than the semi-pro or homeowner class saws, and more serviceable over the long run. (In my experience, the semi-pro and lower class stuff just burns out / quits faster and you can't fix it ... like inkjet printers versus lasers).

I like to buy things I can learn to work on until it's in the can-of-worms category, and then it goes to the shop. Otherwise, I'd look more closely at new ranch class saws from either brand.

Right now, I'm aiming for the 1 saw 60cc solution, so the 70cc class saws like the 365 and the 044 seem a bit big until I get into part-time forestry work on a future piece of land for a home built cabin (unless they can be had for cheap :).

Here are my top 3 listings (based on your opinions about the top 2)

1st) Jonsered CS 2166 with 24" bar - never run / new out of box for $499 - hard to pass on given the price and condition
-- the pick shows Huskvarna - does that mean 1) it's part of the Husqvarna group and 2) a Husqvarna shop will work on these?
-- if yes to the above question, this is probably my first choice for the $400-$500 mark, even if it's a little bigger than the 60cc/20" target
2nd) Dolmar PS-6400 in "excellent condition" - blurry pic and no info about the bar length - $400
-- if this really is a preferable (for some) saw to the Stihl's I would likely pick this one up if the Jonsered is gone by the time I call about it
3rd) Stihl 362 C-M with 75 hours, 2 years old, 20" bar, no pics - $425
-- looking at this one on Saturday because I didn't know about the Dolmar's and don't know about getting parts/service for the Jonsered

Kinda far to check out, but the threads on these models are favorable
Stihl MS 361 in pretty decent looking shape from the pictures for $345
Stihl 034 in pretty decent shape from the pics for a vintage saw $300

Not for me, but maybe for one of ya'll
Stihl 044 in pretty nice shape , all original parts for $700

Thanks again and glad to be a part.

moondoggie, I am looking forward to checking out the 562XP at some point and since one of those is a bit out of my budget, I'd be happy to bring down whichever saw I end up with. Looking forward to it.

... I stopped getting emails about updates on Friday and haven't been on this site since ... what a ton of info. Thanks!

The #1 reason I'm looking at used saws is so that the rest of the kit fits into a $750 budget.

Yes, there is a great Husky rental/service shop here in Boone, but I rarely see any used pro Husky's listed anywhere unless they're the really big saws (80cc + ... that might be a sign ...).

There's a Stihl elite service shop in Boone too, with a few in AVL. 1/2 of my planned cutting will be in Maggie Valley, and with my work schedule and girlfriend living further west, I'll be in Asheville and Haywood county 1/2 of my week.

A handful of Dolmar shops are in the greater AVL or Boone areas, but most are a 30 mile drive from either. It sounds like they're easy to get parts for and work on them.

Also, having done a lot of techie work in the past, and owning an '84 diesel Benz that is built like a tank and a dream to work on, the pro class saws should be built better than the semi-pro or homeowner class saws, and more serviceable over the long run. (In my experience, the semi-pro and lower class stuff just burns out / quits faster and you can't fix it ... like inkjet printers versus lasers).

I like to buy things I can learn to work on until it's in the can-of-worms category, and then it goes to the shop. Otherwise, I'd look more closely at new ranch class saws from either brand.

Right now, I'm aiming for the 1 saw 60cc solution, so the 70cc class saws like the 365 and the 044 seem a bit big until I get into part-time forestry work on a future piece of land for a home built cabin (unless they can be had for cheap :).

Here are my top 3 listings (based on your opinions about the top 2)

1st) Jonsered CS 2166 with 24" bar - never run / new out of box for $499 - hard to pass on given the price and condition
-- the pick shows Huskvarna - does that mean 1) it's part of the Husqvarna group and 2) a Husqvarna shop will work on these?
-- if yes to the above question, this is probably my first choice for the $400-$500 mark, even if it's a little bigger than the 60cc/20" target
2nd) Dolmar PS-6400 in "excellent condition" - blurry pic and no info about the bar length - $400
-- if this really is a preferable (for some) saw to the Stihl's I would likely pick this one up if the Jonsered is gone by the time I call about it
3rd) Stihl 362 C-M with 75 hours, 2 years old, 20" bar, no pics - $425
-- looking at this one on Saturday because I didn't know about the Dolmar's and don't know about getting parts/service for the Jonsered

Kinda far to check out, but the threads on these models are favorable
Stihl MS 361 in pretty decent looking shape from the pictures for $345
Stihl 034 in pretty decent shape from the pics for a vintage saw $300

Not for me, but maybe for one of ya'll
Stihl 044 in pretty nice shape , all original parts for $700

Thanks again and glad to be a part.

moondoggie, I am looking forward to checking out the 562XP at some point and since one of those is a bit out of my budget, I'd be happy to bring down whichever saw I end up with. Looking forward to it.
Need to check this thread out! There Will be tons of saws to try out.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/tennessee-gtg-masterminds-place.299663/#post-5948815
I would like to run whatever saw you get. I saw that jonsered last week too. It looks like a sweet saw for sure. Husqvarna dealers do waranty on jonsereds too.

Need to check this thread out! There Will be tons of saws to try out.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/tennessee-gtg-masterminds-place.299663/#post-5948815
I would like to run whatever saw you get. I saw that jonsered last week too. It looks like a sweet saw for sure. Husqvarna dealers do waranty on jonsereds too.

Bookmarking GTG date and it sounds like a great way to celebrate the end of a grad school semester.

Time to inquire about the Jonsered ...

Jonsered is still available and pending a timeout tomorrow around noon, should be mine. :)

Bookmarking GTG date and it sounds like a great way to celebrate the end of a grad school semester.

Time to inquire about the Jonsered ...

Jonsered is still available and pending a timeout tomorrow around noon, should be mine. :)
That's the best deal in my opinion. I think its brand new. You can ride with me to the GTG if you want. I have plenty of room. I am taking my 15 passenger van. With three rows of seats out. I am still leaving one row in. I am probably going to sleep in the van or bring a tent.

That's the best deal in my opinion. I think its brand new. You can ride with me to the GTG if you want. I have plenty of room. I am taking my 15 passenger van. With three rows of seats out. I am still leaving one row in. I am probably going to sleep in the van or bring a tent.

I may take you up on that carpooling ... I'll know more once the semester starts up.

I will be picking up the Jonsered this Saturday near the AVL airport. Any chance you are free in the afternoon to take a look at it?

I would like to try out a handful of different saws! be interesting to learn just what one person likes and why... over another saw and what someone else likes... lots of good info here. to me, asking the genre about what's best is kinda like chasing one's tail. :crazy2: please note: I said to me! :) is one car really that much better than another? all things considered, given similar characteristic? to me benefits mite influence my buying motives/decisions...

this yesterday, I continue to remain highly influenced by my lil Echo CS-271T! runs so strong and with some serious torque to do the work... I am in awe! screams like a ported, timed and muffed modded beast. well, imo. i got it to mess around with fence lines up at my place and light limbing... the mouse the roars... has earned both my respect and a well deserved place in my saw lineup! :yes: at $300 for a porting job... + fgt... this lil jewel with its 5-yr residential use warranty... is in my books of economic rationale... all but free! it comes in under $300.00!

free firewood and free saws always :numberone:with me! my lil Echo at work::chainsaw:

how well can it limb 1/2" - 1" limbs?... not too sure, but it sure can handle a 18" bucks with ease...

here's at least a thousand words about that....
P1010024.JPG

thanks for letting me show off my lil Echo again... :D

DSC_0050.JPG DSC_0058.JPG

First pics of the saw and a video of the first start up and maybe the second or third cut with it. At the moment, I only had the little hemlock lying around.

Also, chaps arrive this week and I'm looking forward to learning how to really use this safely and properly from those of you on this site.

Here's the result of the first real use of the saw on decent hardwood of decent size. It took about 30 minutes of sawing with about another 45 minutes of adjusting the logs to cut them through, adjusting the chain tension, and adding a second round of bar oil.

This is about 1/4th of what's available and about a third of the 16-18" stuff like this. This will be for next season as it was just downed this year, but there's some other seasoned wood on this property for a few months from now. Total there's about 2 cords sitting there with a 1/2 ready for this season.

I'm not sure if it's ash or elm, the leaves looked more like the elm pictured below (serrated) but grouped more like the ash (smaller number in groups of leaves).

Ash (white I think)
http://info.ncagr.gov/blog/wp-content/uploads/IMG_8749.jpg

Elm
http://i.imgur.com/WcO9hUX.jpg

Also ... I want to get it ported into a 2172 :) :) :)

Attachments

• DSC_0276.JPG
    DSC_0276.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0278.JPG
    DSC_0278.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
Here's the result of the first real use of the saw on decent hardwood of decent size. It took about 30 minutes of sawing with about another 45 minutes of adjusting the logs to cut them through, adjusting the chain tension, and adding a second round of bar oil.

This is about 1/4th of what's available and about a third of the 16-18" stuff like this. This will be for next season as it was just downed this year, but there's some other seasoned wood on this property for a few months from now. Total there's about 2 cords sitting there with a 1/2 ready for this season.

I'm not sure if it's ash or elm, the leaves looked more like the elm pictured below (serrated) but grouped more like the ash (smaller number in groups of leaves).

Ash (white I think)
http://info.ncagr.gov/blog/wp-content/uploads/IMG_8749.jpg

Elm
http://i.imgur.com/WcO9hUX.jpg

Also ... I want to get it ported into a 2172 :) :) :)
Looks like hickory from here.

Back