Recommendations...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whats the saw you were using years ago with your father?

Thats the saw to get.

Share the activity with a younger one of today.
I mentioned earlier the McCulloch 610. Both bar studs are stripped and it weighs a ton.

WHY are my posts taking 24+ hours to show up???

Trying this one again... posted the same yesterday, but it has yet to show up.

I found a Husky 346xp yesterday for $150 and couldn't pass it up. The guy used it for a "carving" business and has retired so he is selling some of his saws.

It's not the 60-70cc that was recommended, but I couldn't pass it up. This saw seems to be one of the most referenced in the 50cc range. If I end up needing more, I feel confident I can get my money back out of it.

It has 325 sporckets and a 20" bar.

Trying this one again... posted the same yesterday, but it has yet to show up.

I found a Husky 346xp yesterday for $150 and couldn't pass it up. The guy used it for a "carving" business and has retired so he is selling some of his saws.

It's not the 60-70cc that was recommended, but I couldn't pass it up. This saw seems to be one of the most referenced in the 50cc range. If I end up needing more, I feel confident I can get my money back out of it.

It has 325 sporckets and a 20" bar.

Not sure what's up with your posting problem, I also have problems with this site from time to time.

Anyway, you did great, even if the saw needs work. I would buy 10 346s' right now for that price and make money on em. :D

I like 16-18" bars on mine, but it'll pull a 20". Just make sure and use good chain and keep it sharp...

You might find out it's all the saw you need, or works great for 90% of your needs. You can always add a larger saw later, but I'd keep the 346, as it really complements a larger saw.

WoW... Love my new [to me] Husky 346 xp!

I put the file on the chain and then went out and played with the saw some. I didn't cut anything down, but had about a 14" limb that got knocked out of a tree during a hurricane a few months back. It sliced thru it like butter.

i then went over to some old deadwood and cut them up. again no problems. I think I'm gonna like my new saw. :msp_thumbup:

In addition to all the reading on here, I also spent over an hour on You Tube watching different videos on chainsaw safety, sharpening chains and felling trees.

I put the file on the chain and then went out and played with the saw some. I didn't cut anything down, but had about a 14" limb that got knocked out of a tree during a hurricane a few months back. It sliced thru it like butter.

i then went over to some old deadwood and cut them up. again no problems. I think I'm gonna like my new saw. :msp_thumbup:

In addition to all the reading on here, I also spent over an hour on You Tube watching different videos on chainsaw safety, sharpening chains and felling trees.

Congrats, Ill try to remember to rep ya tomorrow! I think you will love that 346XP. It has a huge following. ......and for a reason:hmm3grin2orange:

take you tubes advice with a large grain of salt,for every piece of good advice there are a thousand idiots who should not be allowed to touch a chainsaw that doesnt run off of aa batteries and have a rubber chain.

Agreed.
A while back I watched a few Youtube videos on hand filing saw chain. One guy was stroking the cutters backwards from what you should (wrong direction). And it was supposed to be an instructional video.

I'm not even going to mention all of the stupid, complete lack of safety "show off" videos. I'm not talking about timed cuts making wood cookies either.

Anyway, stay safe, and get some PPE if you don't have any or didn't think of it yet. 25 acres sounds nice. :D

Four Oaks is about 30 minutes south of Raleigh. I'm about 5 minutes from the intersection of I-40 and I-95. That would be great if you are close. Let me know.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Funds are limited, so I'm hoping to keep it under $300. Going to do some research on the suggestions and check out the classifieds here and a few other places.

Funds are limited? Save and wait maybe. I concur, if you are buying used, buy from someone here.
(I do not sell, I am in aquisition mode)

So if you knew someone who needed a snow shovel cuz his broke and his driveway was full of snow and you had a garage full of them you wouldn't sell him one because you were "collecting" snowshovels?

Welcome aboard, and congrats on the new saw. We ran 21 gallons of fuel through the 359 and 350 when they cleared the right of way on our road. And yes, a bigger saw would have been nice. But you have to do what you have to do sometimes!

So take your time, and be careful, and enjoy! I think the Kubota will work out great. We use a 70hp JD for most of our skidding. Although occasionally you have to drive with the brakes.

We got to get a NC GTG together soon! Lots of newbies!

TNWalker,
I have a Jonsereds 2145 with an 18" bar I used for years before I got my 460mag. It's cut tons of firewood and brought down quite a few trees in the 30"+ range and a 39" and a 49". Cut with someone there with you, things happen very fast and if you need help you want it there before the buzzards peck your eyes out. We had a neighbor get killed a couple of years ago, many years experience, a limb came down and entered between the neck and shoulder and exited above the pelvis, bled out before help could get there.
BE SAFE,
Rick

So if you knew someone who needed a snow shovel cuz his broke and his driveway was full of snow and you had a garage full of them you wouldn't sell him one because you were "collecting" snowshovels?

FLIP NO! I have the saws I do because I want them. I'll tell him what to get, but none from my bench. I'll come on over and help, but for the limited shop and run time I do get, culls and turkeys have no place. :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:

Congrats on your new saw. Have fun and be safe.

Congrats on the 346. Time to get the bar studs on the 610 MAC replaced, and get 'er back into action. Always good to have a backup plan in case you "stick" the 346. 610 would be fine for that. You can put a 24" bar on her and use it on the occasional bigger log. The haters will be along to make fun of this idea, but it will work fine for very little $. I'd have a look at the oiler on the 610 if you decide to work on it. They are frequently afoul.

Latest posts

Back