Red and White blues...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the reply but you left out the answer to my main question, how many saws do you have? Knowing you like I do I'm betting around a 100, am I close?

Numbers don't mean anything in collecting. It's the quality of the saws you collect. You can be a collector of one particular brand for ex, and have a splendid collection with only 20 saws or so.

I focus on +80cc and pre-1970 saws, and every saw that has something special... But us saw nuts do like nearly every saw, so you must control yourself sometimes :monkey: I have about 120 saws by now, but only 80 runners or so, rest needing parts or time to work on.

As for me I've been busy making sure there are thousands of Stihls out in the world for future collectors. Just think Belgian one fine day many years from now some future ole cat like you will grab up a old Stihl that was originally sold in Virginia by the one and only, yours truely. To make them even more valuable I might engrave the saws "Sold by Thall, Inspected by Lakeside. By Joe that will really drive the prices up, whatcha think?

Dayuuuuum, if it's gonna make them Stihl saws even more expensive, than I'm not in for your idea... :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

But a saw engraved with for ex. 'tuned by da Westcoast Leopard" or "Sold by The Champ" would surely have some added value. All depends on how you characters will be remembered in a few years (think of a guy who is drinking loads of beer and another who still believes Elvis is alive...)

We'll see about that in a few years or so...:cheers:

Last edited:
If we could get Belgium to host a GTG, you could count me in.

I'm not living in big wood area, so getting a few logs at my place would not be so simple, but the biggest problem would be getting a good attendance, especially for our friends from the US. That reminds me I still have to post pics from our last collector meeting in Germany two weeks ago, it was a blast...

Great food, great beer and wonderful people.

Shhhht, don't say that too loud... we like to drink the beer ourselves :cheers: :cheers:

BTW I live in the east of Belgium, one hour drive from brussels.

Here's some other red&white oldies that I fixed up this week : the 08S.

these saws have been produced in massive numbers and are still plenty around in Belgium. People still use them for firewood a lot over here. Dead reliable, easy starters, but slowboats compared to modern saws. Brad (blsnelling) posted a nice thread earlier about his restoration of this model.

08sfamilybsmall.jpg

08sfamilyasmall.jpg

All saws are good runners and with orginal 17" stihl bars with the stihl embedded logo.

The saw on the left is giving me fits though ... it starts and idles perfectly but as of a certain rpm, there are a number of misfires that occur, that prevent the saw from reving up smoothly. Checked the kill switch wire, ignition, etc. but did not find the problem. Any idea where to look ?

Here's a good example of how to ruin a perfect saw with a lousy paint job. Anyone having an idea of how to remove the top paint while not loosing the underlaying stihl paint ??

08sorphansmall.jpg

Last edited:
Belgian,

I have a Lighting here that someone painted green. I have fought removing the paint. I cannot figure out a good way to do it. It is too bad because the unpainted portions are very nice.

Bill

Great Saws again, Belgian.

You keep showing pics of your 'collection' and I think we are about to vote to put our own big wood in our luggage and head over to Belgium for the next GTG.

I say again, the next GTG is at your place.

BTW, what's your occupation, how big is your storage facility for all those saws, and are you married?

All these questions are obstacles we saw nuts must face. Any wisdom in dealing with these problems, would be, greatly appreciated.lol.

I'm blessed, my wife is supportive. Storage is becoming an issue and I have nowhere near what you (and others on this site) have.:) :) :) :)

... The seller wanted $150 Euro or $233US for shipping. I would have really llike to get that saw but I will never give that amount for any saw.

Bill

As far as I know, shipping from Europe to the US cost a lot more than the other way.......:censored:

Hey Saw Troll!

As far as I know, shipping from Europe to the US cost a lot more than the other way.......:censored:

Good Morning, ST!!! Or should I say, "Good afternoon." ?

Yeah, and just think, trying to ship 120 saws, that we could 'help' him with. lol.
:chainsaw: :clap: :chainsaw: :clap:

You keep showing pics of your 'collection' and I think we are about to vote to put our own big wood in our luggage and head over to Belgium for the next GTG.

I say again, the next GTG is at your place.

We just had a cargo plane crash in Brussels national airport the moment you posted that... you know how to scare people, don't ya ... :hmm3grin2orange: :sucks:

BTW, what's your occupation, how big is your storage facility for all those saws, and are you married?

see my profile. The storage room is in the basement of the house and the upper floor of my garage. Yes, I need to built more shelves, grrrr...:chainsaw:

All these questions are obstacles we saw nuts must face. Any wisdom in dealing with these problems, would be, greatly appreciated.lol.

Married, yes... :cry: :cry: , but I can't complain I guess. Time is my biggest problem..., but patience is crucial in building a collection that is affordable.

:cheers:

I'm not living in big wood area, so getting a few logs at my place would not be so simple, but the biggest problem would be getting a good attendance, especially for our friends from the US. That reminds me I still have to post pics from our last collector meeting in Germany two weeks ago, it was a blast...

Shhhht, don't say that too loud... we like to drink the beer ourselves :cheers: :cheers:

BTW I live in the east of Belgium, one hour drive from brussels.

We're going to have to talk you into coming to the next PNW GTG. But only if you bring one of those saws. :greenchainsaw:

Oh, alright...you can show up even if you don't bring a saw.

Last edited:
We're going to have to talk you into coming to the next PNW GTG. But only if you bring one of those saws. :greenchainsaw:

Oh, alright...you can show up even if you don't bring a saw.

Well, with that hint from Bob, I had no other choice than to prepare some big saws this weekend for my virtual trip to the GTG...., but hopefully next year it may become reality after all (without saws of course). :)

this is my little 070 family ; one 070 and two 070AV with the top handle bar. I still need a bar for one saw.

The 070 was missing a lot of parts but I was able to steal some from a parts contra, as there was no governor assembly to begin with. Now she runs great !

All saws are excellent runners and start better than my car :chainsaw:

070clubcsmall.jpg

070clubbsmall.jpg

I also got a 045AV a while ago. I came without a bar so I used another one for the pic. This one does not idle well once hot....I suspect the crank seals need a replacement...vacuum/pressure test will tell.

045dsmall.jpg

045asmall.jpg

I just need to add some pics of my 041 club in the coming weeks and then I'm done with Stihl red & white :givebeer:

Are all the contra s models av only. I have a nice one on the way, no topcover but complete the guy had no idea what he had.:chainsaw:

There were quite some changes in the design of the contra, such as

-different starter assembly
-3 or 2 point muffler fixation
-manual oiler or not
-Contra or Contra Lightning logo
-different cylinder shape
- different gas caps

Belgian,

Those pictures are awesome my Lighting saws are not near that nice. A couple other differences to add to your list is the rear handle design. I have one in my picture that has the newer 070/090 rear handle. It is the one without a bar cover. It is possible it was swapped out so I will let the experts decide that. Another difference is the top covers. Many were plastic while others were aluminum. The only metal cover Lighting I have is the one with no paint. The two with bars are runners. The two without need carb kits. I misplaced the cover for one and pulled the studs for another saw so it will need a bit more. The two 090G's are runners. In the other pic is a few older Stihl saws. There is a video of one of teh BLK57's running on youtube.

Bill

Belgian,

Those pictures are awesome my Lighting saws are not near that nice. A couple other differences to add to your list is the rear handle design. I have one in my picture that has the newer 070/090 rear handle. It is the one without a bar cover. It is possible it was swapped out so I will let the experts decide that. Another difference is the top covers. Many were plastic while others were aluminum. The only metal cover Lighting I have is the one with no paint. The two with bars are runners. The two without need carb kits. I misplaced the cover for one and pulled the studs for another saw so it will need a bit more. The two 090G's are runners. In the other pic is a few older Stihl saws. There is a video of one of teh BLK57's running on youtube.

Bill

Wow, that's a nice collection there. The 090G and the BL are awesome. I have a nice BL also but need to find/make a new muffler.

You could be right about the contra rear handle, but if that is the case, it must be of the later generation of Contra's. All the ones I have seen have the classic metal handle. The Contra with the aluminium top cover was the earliest version and is a real collector item, since hard to find, even in europe. :clap:

The BLK 57 (army version) is very common, but the BLK58 (red) is rare. I have both (BLK58 in brush cutter version, currently in pieces on my workbench...)

I was quite happy to get the one with the aluminum top cover. It does not have a manual oiler either. I think it is pretty original but who really knows after all these years.

The throttle cable is missing on the BL so I am not sure what I will do with it.

Bill

Last edited:
I have been longing for a 090 for a long time for my collection and finally was able to get one, and it came home yesterday :givebeer:

It's a 090AV with the top handle bar and in very good shape. Piston was :cheers: , new sprocket, and the guy (retired logger) had two 35" bars with it and 3 like new chains.

Now the bummer : since he was living far away from me, I made a deal to have it shipped rather than picking it up. He packed the saw good, but scotched the bars at the outside of the package :dizzy: Guess what, the bars were no longer at the box when it arrived :angry2: He's filing a complaint with the postal services but chances to recover them are close to none imo.

I paid 350$, shipping included which was a good deal imo, but now the bars are gone, I am still a bit disappointed. At least the saw was top and ..... I have finally a 090 :love1: :love1:

090avbsmall.jpg

090avasmall.jpg

Last edited:
Roland, it sounds like you got a good deal alright! See what those 090's go for over here. Now the seller taped the bars to the outside of the box? Was he drinking when he did that? It can be hard enough keeping them inside the box! :cheers:

Back