reindeer games

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some round filers will go out/in to keep the burr off.

I file from the outside in , always have and never had a issue doing so.

A coworker of mine claims he files both cutter sides at the same time , one in , one out. The man is more around wood then I am , he must know something I don't.

He runs his ported saw out of gas, hack saws his round file and let's the Whippet pup trash the house, but he sleeps with his saw. Redeemed.

No need to be an ass. That video is mine. When I ran square file, MDavelee showed me how to sharpen in from the cuter in. I do not run my saws out of gas The compression and timing advance were a bit high, and it would take a bit of time to come down off idle. I have since fixed it.

If you watch the video, you'll notice that chain cuts extremely well, and it does so for a long time, in hard wood. If you listen to me in the video, I state I am not using any pressure while I am pulling the file back. I am only giving it pressure enough to keep it in the gullet and aligned for the next stroke.

The whippet is at a rescue I volunteer for. I spend a lot of my free time helping lurchers, Greyhounds, etc find homes.
That video with the whippet is in the mobile home used for storage and for a break room

I made it to the 50 second mark. Tap tap tap, and then dragging that poor dull file across the chain. Nails on a chalkboard to my ears. What'd that file ever do to deserve that? SMH

Files only cut one way, you are seriously reducing the files life and ability to cut. They only cut on the push.... lift, reposition, and push again. Never drag a file back.

It is only being dragged back lightly enough to keep it in the gullet. If you listen to the video, you would have known that. A Save Edge file is made with W2 tool steel, hardened to 62 HRC. The tooth on the chain is hardened to less than 55HRC. I would have to drag the file back much harder to reduce it's life.

No need to be an ass. That video is mine. When I ran square file, MDaveless showed me how to sharpen in from the cuter in. I do not run my saws out of gas The compression and timing advance were a bit high, and it would take a bit of time to come down off idle. I have since fixed it.

If you watch the video, you'll notice that chain cuts extremely well, and it does so for a long time, in hard wood. If you listen to me in the video, I state I am not using any pressure while I am pulling the file back. I am only giving it pressure enough to keep it in the gullet and aligned for the next stroke.

The whippet is at a rescue I volunteer for. I spend a lot of my free time helping lurchers, Greyhounds, etc find homes.
That video with the whippet is in the mobile home used for storage and for a break room
lol. I love your pup. Not only did I listen to the vid but I watched it four times. haha. And I watched many of your cutting videolas.

You have alot to learn about sharpening chain. But you are in the right place.

Sorry about the one quip, I guess I'm the only one besides dodgegeek that sleeps with my saw.

It is only being dragged back lightly enough to keep it in the gullet. If you listen to the video, you would have known that. A Save Edge file is made with W2 tool steel, hardened to 62 HRC. The tooth on the chain is hardened to less than 55HRC. I would have to drag the file back much harder to reduce it's life.
I'll respectfully disagree with that statement.

What you're doing is rolling over the edge at the point it's most vulnerable. Harder makes it more brittle, and those cutting edges are tiny and frail.

I'm not being an ass. I love your pup. Not only did I listen to the vid but I watched it four times. haha. And I watched many of your cutting videolas.

Sorry about the one quip, I guess I'm the only one besides dodgegeek that sleeps with my saw.

See my aforementioned video. It cuts fine, and the files last a very long time.

I'll respectfully disagree with that statement.

What you're doing is rolling over the edge at the point it's most vulnerable. Harder makes it more brittle, and those cutting edges are tiny and frail.

I respectfully disagree as well. I have used files in many forms and many ways. I used to make knives for a while. I am quite good with files. I do not use much pressure at all when I am dragging ti back. Only enough to keep it in the gullet. I have done it this way, and done it without dragging - they last the same time. If they lasted significantly less, I wouldn't do it. See how that works? It's sort of like logic.

I'm not being an ass. I love your pup. Not only did I listen to the vid but I watched it four times. haha. And I watched many of your cutting videolas.

Yet another punk set to ignore...

Yet another punk set to ignore...

Noooo not ingnoooooore....... how was you going to learn to file. Mike done got you sideways. ROFL

Bud, I can actually hear that file dying on the first four teeth. Stop that and let's be friends instead. It don't hurt to laugh at yourself.

I was talking about the file's teeth. Show some macro pics of them instead of video of the saw cutting wood. You're on the wrong side of the planet for 55hrc wood - that's down under. :)

No need to be an ass. That video is mine. When I ran square file, MDaveless showed me how to sharpen in from the cuter in. I do not run my saws out of gas The compression and timing advance were a bit high, and it would take a bit of time to come down off idle. I have since fixed it.

didnt watch the whole video, it LOOKED odd the way you were sharpening, if it works great :) watching a video vs being there is two different things, sorry
I didnt mean to throw a rock at you :) the dog brought back memories of my pretty greyhound I had, she was rescued from a racetrack,
but lived the rest of her life in comfort :)

didnt watch the whole video, it LOOKED odd the way you were sharpening, if it works great :) watching a video vs being there is two different things, sorry
I didnt mean to throw a rock at you :) the dog brought back memories of my pretty greyhound I had, she was rescued from a racetrack,
but lived the rest of her life in comfort :)

Good on you for giving that hound a home. The industry eats them up, and treats them terribly, especially in Ireland. I do what I can to find them homes and mitigate the damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back