reliable chainsaw for around $300

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slicedtoad

Reaction score
I have a decent 2 acre property that's about half forest, so i need a saw to cut down the occasional tree. It doesn't need to be incredibly powerful or big cause few of the trees are over 10" in diameter.

It does need to last a long time, be relatively low maintenance and easy to use. Also gas.

I have both Stihl and Husqvarna dealers close by. (probably others as well)

What would you guys recommend?

The possibilities are endless if you want to go for a used saw. Makita 6401, Sthil 029/MS290/039/MS390, Sthil 028, Husqvarna 51/55, Husqvarna 61/268/272, Husqvarna 346XP and you could probably find most of those for less than a $300 price tag. If you want to go new you are going to be limited to a homeowner grade Husqvarna, which will do the job but they are typically heavier and underpowered when compared to a pro grade saw.

Wow, you guys reply fast, thanks.

Do i really need a 20" bar? I suppose it couldn't hurt, just seems excessive.
Also, how long do these saws typically last?

With the use you are talking about, literally a lifetime. They may need some minor maintenance such as fuel lines, spark plugs, and filters, but the rest will last for as long as you are upright and breathing.

I also agree with the 260. I have cut a lot with an 026 that actually fell off a truck and bounced down the road. But then in 6 months you will start looking at a 660 so you can cut more trees faster. SO buy, save, Buy.

No cigar on that one Murph... But I can honestly say that's a saw I've never seen... Knew they existed, but never laid eyes on one... Nice saw...

It's a nice saw. It really feels like a 359 in your hands. I haven't looked at porting it, but it is a very quiet saw, leaving me to believe there is a lot to be gained with a muffler mod.

Less than 10" mostly - my vote goes to one of the used 026/MS 260's. I love mine and it does well in this size class with 16" bar and full chisel chain. That being said I understand the Husky 346 is a great saw as well, just never used one so I can't vouch for it but many can.

I would prefer a used but not abused pro saw (one of the above) over the consumer saws in the $300 price range, personally. Normally a better power to weight ratio and more durable.

Latest posts

Back