Helping a Friend Decide - New Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdrew888

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all! I have an friend who is now about 70 years old. He has several older unreliable gas powered chainsaws (Stihl & Husqvarna) that he is tired of working on. He has a 10 acre property with plenty of firewood trees and cuts about 3/4 cords per year. He would like to get a brand new saw and is only interested in Husqvarna or Stihl. I think he should get a pro model with about a 20 inch or bigger bar. I haven't looked and new saws in many years as my older equipment is running excellent (026 & 356 special).

I'm wondering if I can get some recommendations from you experts on what brand/model would best suit his needs. Money is not a issue. Power to weight, balance, vibration and reliability are his biggest considerations. I have no idea what to recommend anymore with respect to purchasing new.

Thanks!

Well, you'll get great advice here but be ready to answer questions like these:

- What size of trees/wood does your friend cut?
- What brand of dealer support is close to him that he prefers to deal with?

That said, most guys here would recommend a saw in the 60cc class as a "one saw do it all" plan. I would personally recommend either a Husqvarna 562xp or a Stihl 400. I've got a 562xp and really enjoy it. The 400 is very new but guys who have it rave about it. Always a good thing to be able to handle and get the feel of a saw first if possible at the dealer. I'm sure your friend will be happy with whatever saw he chooses from either Husqvarna or Stihl.

I think he would on the odd occasion see something in the 30 inch diameter max but most of his cutting will be under 20 inches Maple, Douglas Fir, Fir Balsam & Western Red Cedar.

Local dealers are Stihl and Husqvarna.

Thanks for the replies so far!

I think he would on the odd occasion see something in the 30 inch diameter max but most of his cutting will be under 20 inches Maple, Douglas Fir, Fir Balsam & Western Red Cedar.

Thanks for the replies so far!
I would take him to a stihl dealer and let him handle them then. He will have to decide on weight and balance….

Hi all! I have an friend who is now about 70 years old. He has several older unreliable gas powered chainsaws (Stihl & Husqvarna) that he is tired of working on. He has a 10 acre property with plenty of firewood trees and cuts about 3/4 cords per year. He would like to get a brand new saw and is only interested in Husqvarna or Stihl. I think he should get a pro model with about a 20 inch or bigger bar. I haven't looked and new saws in many years as my older equipment is running excellent (026 & 356 special).

I'm wondering if I can get some recommendations from you experts on what brand/model would best suit his needs. Money is not a issue. Power to weight, balance, vibration and reliability are his biggest considerations. I have no idea what to recommend anymore with respect to purchasing new.

Thanks!
I have an MS261 cm with a 24" bar, not trying to win any cookie cutting contests, but the 24 inch bar reduces 'bendovers' and as you get older that is a very big deal. The 261 cuts everything the 362 did that it replaced, just a bit slower. and it is a few lbs lighter. I do not have the lightweight bar but think that would be desirable also.
I am just short of 74

Husqvarna 562. I'm 70 myself, recently retired from forestry work, so well acquainted with saws. My main users are Husq. 372 and 346. But I have a 562 at camp that I really like. If I were to run one saw alone, that would be it.

Guys here may try to sell you on a long bar. But 20" is plenty for what your friend will cut. I have a 24" saw--hardly ever use it

Thanks!
Friends like you make woodsman of all ages proud. So, he does continue to cut. He's stacking 3 to 4 bush cords? or face cords. Either way, God love him.

More to you, admitting being somewhat ignorant of the latest, possible offerings is humble to the core. You have 2 saws. An 026, and a 365 Special......you already know the answer. Find him a decent 026, MS260, or the PRO version if he wants de-comp, and oil flow control. The 2 features provide little to an already amazing firewood saw. 10 lbs., 3 1/2 HP, excellent A/V........no cheese-ball springs.

Put an 18" x 3/8" full chisel set-up on those saws, and he'll never stop cutting......which seems to be the point. Happy 4th!

I dont know the man.. but 70 is getting old for that much work and starting saws.
Would he consider a milwaukee electric 18 volt with 20 inch bar ??

I may be wrong. But thats what I would recommend at his age.

An electric saw because he's 70? Seriously? I must have missed the part in the OP where the gentleman was described as being physically limited in some way. I must have also missed the part about him wanting recommendations for electric saws. Not cool to assume just because someone is older they can't still use man tools...

I dont know the man.. but 70 is getting old for that much work and starting saws.
Would he consider a milwaukee electric 18 volt with 20 inch bar ??

I may be wrong. But thats what I would recommend at his age.
Funny, I just got off the phone with him and we were on the subject of electric saws. He has a small gas powered liming saw and feels that's good enough for the wee stuff. He's off grid so has limited options for charging batteries anyway. He's actually 71 years old but in really good shape. I sent him some YouTube reviews on the Husqvarna 562xp and Stihl 400 and I must say we are both very impressed with those two options. He needs to go hold them in the various configurations to help him decide.

Does anyone know if you can get wrap bars and duel dawgs for either the Husqvarna 562xp or a Stihl 400?

Husqvarna 562. I'm 70 myself, recently retired from forestry work, so well acquainted with saws. My main users are Husq. 372 and 346. But I have a 562 at camp that I really like. If I were to run one saw alone, that would be it.

Guys here may try to sell you on a long bar. But 20" is plenty for what your friend will cut. I have a 24" saw--hardly ever use it
My 562 has always treated me well and can pull anything from a 20" bar to a 32", I'd get one of them. Plus, I feel like the Huskies have better a/v. @gdrew888 You can get wraps/dogs for both saws, for the 562 a wrap kit is ~$50 or so, for the 400 it'll be $100+ as I recall. Also, you'd have to order a late-model 362 wrap kit for the 400 as they don't list a wrap kit for it yet. The 362 one is a direct bolt on, but Stihl doesn't list it as an option on the 400.

Ok I'll chime in on this, as a ex long time 562xp user and recent ms400cm user, there is no comparison between the two saw. The ms400 kicks the crap out of a 562xp. I loved my 562's, and as most of you know ended up with the 400, because that's what I could get my hands on when I couldn't get a new carb and ignition module for the 562xp. The 400 is closer to 70 cc and is lighter then a 562xp. It starts easier the first time and in the heat, it's av and air filtration is pretty much a husqy rip off. I'm not sold on the stupid 1/4 turn air filter, but it took husqy 10 years ro fix the filter problems on the 562xp, so far the 400 air filter has been pretty stout. Really you need to spend a week running a 562xp then get a 400 and you won't ever look at a 562xp again. Out side of the price there's no reason not to buy the 400.

Funny, I just got off the phone with him and we were on the subject of electric saws. He has a small gas powered liming saw and feels that's good enough for the wee stuff. He's off grid so has limited options for charging batteries anyway. He's actually 71 years old but in really good shape. I sent him some YouTube reviews on the Husqvarna 562xp and Stihl 400 and I must say we are both very impressed with those two options. He needs to go hold them in the various configurations to help him decide.

Does anyone know if you can get wrap bars and duel dawgs for either the Husqvarna 562xp or a Stihl 400?
I have a full wrap and dual Dawgs on my 562,came as a kit from my dealer,45.00 bucks. I'm 72 and really like my 562.

Latest posts

Back