Remington GL-7

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

belgian

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
A few months ago, I got hold of an oldie Remington GL-7 Logmaster, which is on my bench right now.
It has some injuries (damaged cluth cover, one broken case stud,..), but she has spark, compression was a tad low, but still running which is the major goal here.

Now I encountered the following problem : I looked at the piston through the muffler and noticed that a part of the piston is broken and floats between the two rings. The casted rib of the cylinder is preventing it (so far) to fall out and possibly cause major damage to the piston.
It's the shiny ringpart between the two piston rings.

GL7piston.jpg

Should I leave it right there, or dismantle the entire saw to remove it ? It's not going to run much, but still it's a nice saw to have in the collection and I want it to run.

Will the removal affect compression or cause risk for ring breaking.... Lot's of questions...your input is appreciated.

A few months ago, I got hold of an oldie Remington GL-7 Logmaster, which is on my bench right now.
It has some injuries (damaged cluth cover, one broken case stud,..), but she has spark, compression was a tad low, but still running which is the major goal here.

Now I encountered the following problem : I looked at the piston through the muffler and noticed that a part of the piston is broken and floats between the two rings. The casted rib of the cylinder is preventing it (so far) to fall out and possibly cause major damage to the piston.
It's the shiny ringpart between the two piston rings.

GL7piston.jpg

Should I leave it right there, or dismantle the entire saw to remove it ? It's not going to run much, but still it's a nice saw to have in the collection and I want it to run.

Will the removal affect compression or cause risk for ring breaking.... Lot's of questions...your input is appreciated.

As with any engine what you have there is some seriouse NOT goodness.
doing anything,even running the saw as it is could cause some irripairable damage.
only recourse if you want to run that thing is another piston..

As with any engine what you have there is some seriouse NOT goodness.
doing anything,even running the saw as it is could cause some irripairable damage.
only recourse if you want to run that thing is another piston..

I agree with you, if only that saw is dating 1956 and finding another good piston for it is gonna be a real challenge.

Just assessing the risks involved in reusing that piston as it is.

I wouldn't run it Roland,
The part that's broke is called
the ring land. If it continues to brake
into smaller pieces you will have more
damage on your hands.

Lee

I've been working on it and have been able to remove the broken part of the ring land, as Lee called it. I figure if I run it like this, the top ring will be gone in no time as it is no longer supported. I also found the key holding the clutch has worn out the crankshaft pretty good...grrrr.

I think I will clean her nicely and put it on the shelve. Too much work and parts needed on this one....Sometimes you win, sometime you snooze I guess.

Belgian I just acquired a couple Remington parts saws. I don't know the model numbers (no tags, decals etc.), but if I have a GL-7 and the parts are decent I could send them along. The only thing is I would need more pictures to compare to my saws.

Latest posts

Back