renting or buying a splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're going to use wood from here on out you'd be better off buying one. It is an investment that will pay for itself in no time at all. I bought a 22 ton from Tractor Supply a few years ago and don't regret it one bit. I use propane and the prices are skyrocketing and are not likely to come back down much if any. They'll probably continue to rise.

Danny

Wow, thanks everyone

I posted before going to work last night. When I got home there were 20 replies. Lots of great advise. I think I eventually want to buy one.
Thanks to all...

Vman, I sent an e-mail.

banjoec...
I cut and burn about 6 cords a year myself, much like you,
Up until this year I always split the wood out in the woods with a maul before it was even loaded on my truck.

A couple of years ago I was gathering and making the parts to build my own log splitter. Went and sold all of them because I didn't want to have a splitter sitting around, didn't want to maintain another piece of equipment, and I didn't have the space to keep it under roof.

This year things changed a bit for me. I had heart surgery last summer (at 43 years old) and I was not able to swing the maul this winter to split wood. We cut more wood this year than ever before, a full 11 cords. Brought the wood home in 22" lengths and had one hell of a pile of wood to split.

I rented a log splitter on a Friday afternoon and a friend showed up Saturday morning to help split. Between me, my two sone and my friend, we split every piece in about 5 1/2 hours. And most of it was also stacked to dry.

It cost me $58.
I will keep on renting one for $58, one time a year.

If I were selling firewood, or using it in a professional/business sort of way I would probably own one, but not for the amount I need it for.

mporter said:
I did a lot of research last fall and ended up with a 22 ton splitter from my local TSC on sale. I got one with a Honda engine which was a plus for me. So far, works great and is easy to start. Splits wood both horizontally and vertically.

Timberwolf splitters interested me, but they are very pricey.

http://www.timberwolfcorp.com/splitters/product_line.htm
I have a TSC 22 Ton splitter but with the B & S motor.No problems ...splits everything.

Sounds like you have some welding capability. Why not make it ,yourself, electric to begin with instead of buying a gas splitter and replacing the engine with a motor? Electric does have some advantages and disadvantages. I see no problem in doing it, it's just a matter of what you want.

TimberPig said:
I think you'll find that an electric motor is much more of a pain in the butt than you think. Not only is it vastly less portable, you have to fight with cords (wrestling with a 100 ft 6 ga extension cord isn't much fun), you can't use it in the rain.

The reason an electric motor seems like it gives better performance with lower horsepower, is because they produce a constant level of torque at any RPM. A gas engine produces low torque at low RPM's, then climbs and peaks, and then begins to trail off at high RPM's. Horsepower is simply as measurement of the rate at which torque can be delivered. 5 hp out of both is the same, although the toque output may be different, because the RPM's may vary. You need more information to truly conclude that the electric motor is better. In this case, the only way I can see it working out to your advantage, is if you left the extension cord laid out, and left the splitter in one place in your yard and never intended to use it anywhere else. Otherwise, the greater portability, lower complexity, and not having to deal with cords, outweigh the slightly higher torque at low RPM's of an electric motor.

Sorry to correct you Timberpig, but an electric setup is less complicated than a gas engine, not the other way around. A 'true' ( commercial ) 5hp electric motor will run circles around a 5hp gas engine... not even close, anyday, everyday, 24 hours a day.:givebeer:

I still use an old McConnell corkscrew type from the PTO of my old tractor cheap, cheerful and no piece to knotty. A ton takes about twenty minutes if your blocks are ready cut. I don't think I could ever change to hydraulic even despite the occasional squished finger.

DanMan1 said:
Sorry to correct you Timberpig, but an electric setup is less complicated than a gas engine, not the other way around. A 'true' ( commercial ) 5hp electric motor will run circles around a 5hp gas engine... not even close, anyday, everyday, 24 hours a day.:givebeer:

Last time I checked, there's no power outlets in the woods. That right there eliminates the potential to use an electric motor for most uses on a woodsplitter. In a situation where it can be installed at a source of power and stay there, fly at it. The reason a 5hp electric motor will outdo a 5 hp gas motor has only to do with the fact that a 5hp electric, delivers that all the time, the gas only delivers that at peak output.

Mechanically speaking, an electric motor is simpler, but practically speaking, it is a PITA if you plan to use it anywhere that doesn't have a ready access to an electrical outlet. I see no point in dragging a generator to the woods to power a splitter with an electric motor, if I could have simply used a gas motor in the first place. All that is doing is dragging more stuff around to accomplish the same thing.

If you'll go back and reread the post you quoted, nowhere did I say a 5hp gas motor would outrun a 5hp electric as you seem to have come up with. I said that unless it was a specific use where the power source was available, that it would limit where he could use it which would be a PITA. Electric motors are great, where you can supply them with power without resorting to excess lengths of extension cords, or dragging a generator or batteries around. Where portability is an issue, as in the ability to split wood wherever you want to, gas motors have the edge.

Thanks to all for your responses. This site has some very nice folks.
Vman and I are going to get together for a log splitting day. After that day I'm sure I'll know if I want to buy or rent. Toolmaker, what part of PA are you form?

TimberPig said:
Last time I checked, there's no power outlets in the woods. That right there eliminates the potential to use an electric motor for most uses on a woodsplitter. In a situation where it can be installed at a source of power and stay there, fly at it. The reason a 5hp electric motor will outdo a 5 hp gas motor has only to do with the fact that a 5hp electric, delivers that all the time, the gas only delivers that at peak output.

Mechanically speaking, an electric motor is simpler, but practically speaking, it is a PITA if you plan to use it anywhere that doesn't have a ready access to an electrical outlet. I see no point in dragging a generator to the woods to power a splitter with an electric motor, if I could have simply used a gas motor in the first place. All that is doing is dragging more stuff around to accomplish the same thing.

If you'll go back and reread the post you quoted, nowhere did I say a 5hp gas motor would outrun a 5hp electric as you seem to have come up with. I said that unless it was a specific use where the power source was available, that it would limit where he could use it which would be a PITA. Electric motors are great, where you can supply them with power without resorting to excess lengths of extension cords, or dragging a generator or batteries around. Where portability is an issue, as in the ability to split wood wherever you want to, gas motors have the edge.

Timber whatcha mean there are no power outlets in the woods,haha. Funny you say that and I'll tell ya why. That was told to a guy a long time ago who made a electric chain saw for the fellers over in the Black Forrest of Germany. I think from how things turn out he took the advice as you say and went petro power. You are correct, there are no power outlets in the woods............

THALL10326 said:
Timber whatcha mean there are no power outlets in the woods,haha. Funny you say that and I'll tell ya why. That was told to a guy a long time ago who made a electric chain saw for the fellers over in the Black Forrest of Germany. I think from how things turn out he took the advice as you say and went petro power. You are correct, there are no power outlets in the woods............

I can just imagine a faller out here, climbing up and down a steep slope in big wood with an E20 and his generator to power it :hmm3grin2orange:

Like I said, if you split at home, and can power it and not have to worry about a power source, electric can be a good choice, if you leave the comforts of your yard, a gas engine (or diesel, heck even propane or natural gas for some uses) is far more practical due to its portability.

I don't see a big rush for all of us to replace our gas saws with electrics if we have to drag a generator with us. Same with woodsplitters. Home use, electric would work great given the availability of a power supply. In the woods, or where power is otherwise a limiting factor, gas wins.

TimberPig said:
I can just imagine a faller out here, climbing up and down a steep slope in big wood with an E20 and his generator to power it :hmm3grin2orange:

Like I said, if you split at home, and can power it and not have to worry about a power source, electric can be a good choice, if you leave the comforts of your yard, a gas engine (or diesel, heck even propane or natural gas for some uses) is far more practical due to its portability.

I don't see a big rush for all of us to replace our gas saws with electrics if we have to drag a generator with us. Same with woodsplitters. Home use, electric would work great given the availability of a power supply. In the woods, or where power is otherwise a limiting factor, gas wins.

Old man Stihl himself was told exactly what your saying and he took the advice. I think it worked out pretty good for the ole feller dont cha think,lol...

I wish I had an electric motor on this thing and 400 feet of 6 gauge wire and a fork lift to use to unroll it. Then I wouldn't have had to wear those darn $17 husqvarna ear muffs from TSC. These 36" + pin oak log sections 24" tall are a little hard to throw into the trailer since I hurt my elbow.

For a remote splitting location would one of those 500 Watt inverters hooked to the truck battery run a 5 hp electric motor?

Big Woody said:
I wish I had an electric motor on this thing and 400 feet of 6 gauge wire and a fork lift to use to unroll it. Then I wouldn't have had to wear those darn $17 husqvarna ear muffs from TSC. These 36" + pin oak log sections 24" tall are a little hard to throw into the trailer since I hurt my elbow.

For a remote splitting location would one of those 500 Watt inverters hooked to the truck battery run a 5 hp electric motor?

Woody what the hell ya doing over at Tractor Supply. I thought I was gonna come meet ya half way and bring ya up to the shop. I went to Suffok and I didn't see ya anywhere. Reckon you was over at Tractor Supply dayumm ya ole hide,haha....................

TimberPig,

Splitting in the remote woods is obviously the norm for you, and for that application gas is the way to go. There are many, many people in this world who do serious wood splitting at a single specific site out of the woods, be it at home, at a work building, or at a farm. In these many situations electric is far better. I've seen excellent electric splitters in use at European farms, you obviosly haven't as you would have a more open mind to the idea.
Super quiet. Can be run next to hay or livestock. Can be run indoors in winter with building doors closed. No gas cans. No crankcase oil changes. No air filter worries. Always starts hot or cold, and as you know, incredible bind torque.:)

Big Woody said:

Not even close. You need over 3500 watts (5 hp = 3728.499 watts), and that's assuming a perfect system with no losses. Add in some heat losses, and some cable losses, and you'd probably need (seat of the pants estimate) more like 4000.

And I'd love to see the battery and alternator setup to power that! :D

BlueRidgeMark said:
Not even close. You need over 3500 watts (5 hp = 3728.499 watts), and that's assuming a perfect system with no losses. Add in some heat losses, and some cable losses, and you'd probably need (seat of the pants estimate) more like 4000.

And I'd love to see the battery and alternator setup to power that! :D

Actually......... It would be possible, I belleve, and will hopefully be corrected if wrong, that electric motors once started only use 40% of the rated energy requirments. So to get it started would require 307.7 amps (4000w divided by 13v system voltage) not a lot to ask from a car battery now days. Then would require 184.6 amps until loaded hard then the amperage would rise acordingly. 200 amp alternators are not that uncommon anymore and the ingnorance I have seen (and been involved in) with car stereo systems it is not as unrealistic as it may seem, expensive yes, but doable! Kinda making me think about haw to power mine:dizzy:
Andy

Back