Rigging...rope or just drop?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Stradtman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I watch a lot of guys climb online and I have a question for the experienced climbers. I've seen some guys be 60 to 80 ft up in a tree and choose to rope a limb down and some just notch and drop Or cut and chuck. If everything is clear and safe below in the landing area why rope. I know wind comes into play and not doing damage to the lawn or property but it those aren't a factor should I always be roping that high or if I see it safe is it okay to cut and chuck or notch and drop? I obviously take all things into consideration when I decide what I'm going to rope and what I'm not. I guess I just want to know I'm doing the right thing.

I watch a lot of guys climb online and I have a question for the experienced climbers. I've seen some guys be 60 to 80 ft up in a tree and choose to rope a limb down and some just notch and drop Or cut and chuck. If everything is clear and safe below in the landing area why rope. I know wind comes into play and not doing damage to the lawn or property but it those aren't a factor should I always be roping that high or if I see it safe is it okay to cut and chuck or notch and drop? I obviously take all things into consideration when I decide what I'm going to rope and what I'm not. I guess I just want to know I'm doing the right thing.

You answered your own question,,,
Jeff

even if clear below sometimes you need a rope to ensure the limbs get down as some tree species canopy s don't play nice hooking and snagging stuff you cut. just today i had to line pull a few oak tree limbs out of the canopy as no matter what i did they just snagged would not fall to ground.

What about when your blocking down a tree? I see guys rope small down small rounds and then drop a tall log 10 times the weight. I know about septic systems and anything else that could be damaged underground. I guess I'm just used to how Ive seen 1 guy do things for the last 15 years so I find myself questioning different methods. I'm sure there are reasons for every action but again I'm just trying to open up my mind and get a good grasp of doing the right thing.

Some people don't want their yards destroyed. I try to rope as much as possible..... I like to rope it big though.

Sometimes a vertical (or near vertical) speed line works better than negative rigging chogs off a spar. Less shock loading (usually), and can minimize the risks associated with having a greener on your ropes. Leave a crash pad of brush to save the lawn and voila. Works great with TENEX Xring dead eye slings pre loaded on the speedline.

I've been taking info about speed line techniques in like a spounge. It looked like there were so many benefits from it So when I took down 3 pines two days ago and I tried it for the first time and I sent all my brush about 80 feet right to its destination and had a guy taking brush off as I sent it and a guy under the tree and it cut time at least in half. On the first tree i was roping every piece of brush because I was over the house. And it popped in my head, this is a good situation to try a speed line. I don't know why I don't see any guys around here doing this. Not only is it efficient and fun to do but I personally think it's a safer technique.

There are different techniques for every situation. Some of it also depends on the crew and climber as well. I try to take all the factors into consideration before doing anything with the tree and plan it out while on the ground. To a degree you can also use the trees where not as many hazards exist for practicing what to do when the hazards are there.

I've got to admit I love rigging all forms of it. Really liking speed lining at the min. When I first started I got it wrong a few times and it made the job a bit harder but now it works a treat. Generally use a double purchase to tighten the line and slacken it off. Even when customers say not to worry about the garden I still trend to rig stuff off, just don't like leaving divots.

Depends on the situation. Whatever makes the job safer, more efficient, possible, or makes the customer more happy.

It's first a question of safety and secondly a question of economics. I lower branches the fastest way that is safe for people and property. I'd be surprised at anyone who decided on a method using any other criteria.

Bombing branches down is fastest, lowering on a rope comes in second and ziplining is only possibly going to be considered if the property owner has a high value structure or lanscaping beneath the tree.

I think I would of took that at that bend static tied to tree behind with a tag added to prevent spar damage but I'm a bit poplar shy lol :p
If I'm removing I bomb if I can but if its a trim and there is exposed roots and the like I prefer to rope or speedline things:havingarest:
I think I would of took that at that bend static tied to tree behind with a tag added to prevent spar damage but I'm a bit poplar shy lol :p

No doubt, I've seen too many poplars spit all by themselves.

Thats a video of randy working. He's a nut. I love 'em. I'm sure if there was any question as to the integrity of that tree.. He'd of went about it a different way. Tree work is part time for him, and he's become a talented tree worker.
Why does everyone seem so Leary of the "dreaded" cottonwood? Working a poplar is a blast.

Back