Rigging...rope or just drop?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carburetorless

Carburetorless

ArboristSite Guru
Thats a video of randy working. He's a nut. I love 'em. I'm sure if there was any question as to the integrity of that tree.. He'd of went about it a different way. Tree work is part time for him, and he's become a talented tree worker.
Why does everyone seem so Leary of the "dreaded" cottonwood? Working a poplar is a blast.

We were talking about the Tulip Poplar, Tulip Tree, Yellow Poplar, it's a whole different animal.

ropensaddle

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky
Thats a video of randy working. He's a nut. I love 'em. I'm sure if there was any question as to the integrity of that tree.. He'd of went about it a different way. Tree work is part time for him, and he's become a talented tree worker.
Why does everyone seem so Leary of the "dreaded" cottonwood? Working a poplar is a blast.
One idea comes to mind they resemble rice crispys snap crakkle pop lol

Dead is where it really gets bad though.

pdqdl

pdqdl

Old enough to know better.
. AS Supporting Member.

No hinge wood on the branches. You cut a wedge, then start your back cut and they just pop off and fall.

Cottonwood are quite the mystery to me: they stand up to ice & wind storms just fine, but if you compromise a branch with a chainsaw it just falls off the tree.

pdqdl

pdqdl

. AS Supporting Member.
It's first a question of safety and secondly a question of economics. I lower branches the fastest way that is safe for people and property. I'd be surprised at anyone who decided on a method using any other criteria.

Bombing branches down is fastest, lowering on a rope comes in second and ziplining is only possibly going to be considered if the property owner has a high value structure or lanscaping beneath the tree.

Speedlining can save money on time while increasing safety, not just getting the branches off the landscaping. You can make your cuts faster, and you can use it to get the branches out of the drop zone for easier handling. I like it because I can begin setting up the next cut without waiting for the groundies to return the end of the rope to me. I have even been known to drop a branch, then speedline, then drop...it keeps the work area free of brush tangles that ultimately slow the crew down.

ropensaddle

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky
No hinge wood on the branches. You cut a wedge, then start your back cut and they just pop off and fall.

Cottonwood are quite the mystery to me: they stand up to ice & wind storms just fine, but if you compromise a branch with a chainsaw it just falls off the tree.
Right swift like too lol ohh and the smell is soo lovely lol :cheers:

BC WetCoast

BC WetCoast

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.

I've found that the large bowed branches, which are liable to Sudden Limb Drop (or the other variations in the name), usually fail in the spring and summer during periods of sudden changes in air pressure. Haven't figured out the scientific explanation, just an observation. I suspect it has something to do with the high degree of tension the top of the branch is under.

Carburetorless

Carburetorless

ArboristSite Guru
I've found that the large bowed branches, which are liable to Sudden Limb Drop (or the other variations in the name), usually fail in the spring and summer during periods of sudden changes in air pressure. Haven't figured out the scientific explanation, just an observation. I suspect it has something to do with the high degree of tension the top of the branch is under.

I've noticed that they tend to fail during heavy downpours, cloudbursts. I guess that's a sudden drop in barometric pressure, but I always thought it was the sudden weight of the water being added to the foliage/branches and the downward force on the branch being multiplies by released uplift from subsiding wind gusts. The wind pushes the water laden branches up, then subsides and the limb drops down hard and fails at the point where co-dominant stems join.

pdqdl

pdqdl

. AS Supporting Member.
Probably microbursts. These are accompanied by LOTS of rain, but the real action is a blast of air directed at the ground; kind of a vertical hurricane.

We get them around here, and they just level all the trees.
"Microbursts are recognized as capable of generating wind speeds higher than 75 m/s (170 mph; 270 km/h)."

ropensaddle

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky
That tree looks like a separate tie in scenario from word go. It's a flag pole. A big lollipop flag pole. Top heavy, no taper.. Seems like something was overlooked, yes?
What climber has never been in a bean pole though? Here we have some pines competing for sun grow 100 foot and still only 6 to 8 inch dbh! Only thing to tie in is the tree ,I have been up too many thinking the whole time don't snap. Most of the worst ones was when I was danger tree foreman for our power company! Now if I see one i don't like, I can at least bid a crane but still, I most likely would of climbed that stick if I could not fell it!

Carburetorless

Carburetorless

ArboristSite Guru
Probably microbursts. These are accompanied by LOTS of rain, but the real action is a blast of air directed at the ground; kind of a vertical hurricane.

We get them around here, and they just level all the trees.
"Microbursts are recognized as capable of generating wind speeds higher than 75 m/s (170 mph; 270 km/h)."

Yea, we get those at the end of hot days here. This the time of year for them.

BC WetCoast

BC WetCoast

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I've noticed that they tend to fail during heavy downpours, cloudbursts. I guess that's a sudden drop in barometric pressure, but I always thought it was the sudden weight of the water being added to the foliage/branches and the downward force on the branch being multiplies by released uplift from subsiding wind gusts. The wind pushes the water laden branches up, then subsides and the limb drops down hard and fails at the point where co-dominant stems join.

I've seen them fail without the rain. The change in air pressure is the only real variant.

acer-kid

acer-kid

Argumentative prick
Wow. I see no taper. At all. The hinge creates a bending moment in the stem before separation.. And without considerable taper.. Pop. I feel climbing pecker poles, and taking any type of weight/height from taking out a top, is just rolling dice on a stem blow out.

acer-kid

acer-kid

Argumentative prick
Right. Most definitely... But.. Your identification has been called into question just recently.. So I assume you definitely make up for it with Ornithology, no doubt.

ropensaddle

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky
Wow. I see no taper. At all. The hinge creates a bending moment in the stem before separation.. And without considerable taper.. Pop. I feel climbing pecker poles, and taking any type of weight/height from taking out a top, is just rolling dice on a stem blow out.
In that case so is working the tips! Yes its dicey a bit but I can assure you here if you can't climb one every once in a while you would be drawing unemployment. In a perfect world we would all own 100 ton cranes or helo's and though this stem did blow out, ten thousand before it did not. Maybe you live in a world without thorns or have always had choice of weather or not to climb a skinny one. Most of us have been in our share of bean poles without incident and we all, maybe not you; tie in to the top! Have you ever had your head above the canopy? a few of us have, granted it was not a poplar but my head has been above the canopy a few times "just sayin"

ropensaddle

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky
One thing I have got in the practice of lately is a pre climb two man bounce test. I know its a bit redneck I feel if it holds two persons weight bouncing on it, it will be fine for me going up. Most times on skinny ones I go high enough to bomb out as I don't like rigging off it.