Rigging...rope or just drop?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One failure thus far. On a split co-dom linden. Was tied into an adjacent tree, with a breakaway lanyard. Uncontrolled swing was avoided pretty well by my tail with a wrap on the butt of the linden. Ground "belay". Granted, in that scenario, everyone was prepared, or more waiting, for the failure. So everyone was ready for it. I've been lucky thus far. I don't stray from dangerous trees.. Just dangerous situations.

Or use a remote TIP when youre familiar with how and why stems fail. Search that thread. I CANT be the only person to have mentioned it. You must have missed when it was talked about that it was never mentioned the CANT, or DONT HAVE to be done. You fall into the category of ignorance is bliss. Tulip poplars beware! Hahahaha

You have mental problems.

You know my psychiatrist? They're not supposed to tell people that sh*t.

followed by the stem I was still tied into. Squish.
And the survey says "X" *BUZZER NOISE*

You don't tie into a potential failure with life rated snaps. I think you're missing the idea of a auxiliary TIP. If you're lanyarded into the **** aspen w/ life rated gear.. What's the point of tying into a separate tree? You're right.. You'd just be pulled down with it... These conversations are starting to make me wonder around here...

I still think we're on different pages. But we can call it a push. Im easy. Except with that carburetorless fella. He burns me and I don't know why.

I already said that my opinion was SOLELY based on those pictures. It's an opinion. I've also said that they have to get done, and power to people that do them. But again, my OPINION is that you shouldn't be in ones like that (based on the pics i have formulated my OPINION on) without a remote TIP, break away lanyard and/or guying it. And I'm not making assumptions.. It's a fact. Youre proof. Skinny, toppy poplars with little taper are suspect. Right away.

You maybe should follow what your signature says, seeing as how your ego seems to be extremely butthurt about the idea of someone having a different view point on how a given situation plays out.
Jeeze..

Of course they're suspect Any tree is suspect, especially any of the poplar genus. So your solution is not to climb them? I think you're trying to make climbing safe versus safer. You'll never eliminate the risk, and your thesis that any accident in this business is avoidable is flawed. We are dealing with a natural product with hidden flaws, and we don't always get to pick and choose our situations. If you want a 100% guarantee you're going to go home to that boy every night, you're in the wrong business.

Wow. As is life in general. I could die driving my truck to the coffee shop. Flawed argument. You ARE in a business with inherent risks. No doubt. More than most professions. Mitigate them. Force mother nature as much as you can. Shes a mean old *****, and shell get you if you dont keep her in line as much as possible. We should learn from our mistakes and do it better next time. I'm not the only person to say "knew that was coming". You keep rolling the dice and the law of averages will catch up with you.

I want a 100% guarantee that my boy doesn't wind up fatherless because I decided to snatch a top from a spindle pole aspen with no taper. I can well avoid that. For SURE.

Well. OK, now I'm pissed you little ****. Your know what half the best climbers in the business have in common? They're dead. Not because they ****ed up, because they knew the risks and climbed the ************ anyway. You dishonor their memory with your sanctimonious second guessing you little ****. Go climb your maples, boy.

Acer just a bit of advice take it as a grain of salt or learn from it. Its not what you say that's so annoying sometimes, it's how it's said and it is my guess your after reactions. I think your probably a fairly good climber might be up on things fairly well but you are not the voice piece of the climbing world. Is all you want to do is ridicule? If so I'm sorry for ya bud, awful lonely being a **** head just saying. I'm very sure jolly has played his whole bad day over and over in his own head and highly doubt he needs a 30 year old know it all giving him the business. I'm pretty sure you know that already though and are merely trolling for some sick form of self produced omniscience. As my favorite actor would of told you are ya gonna pull them pistil's or whistle dixie boy.o_O

Latest posts

Back