Risk continuing to own Makita/Dolmar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livemusic

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Do I have it right -- Makita/Dolmar will not make gasoline powered chainsaws after 2021? If that is so, do you think there is risk in continuing to own one or do you think that parts will be readily available?

most parts will be available for a long time is my best guess. provided your talking about a popular model.... 5000, 6100, 6400, 7300, 7900.....

4300 is not included on that list even tho it is a very popular model simply because very very few parts are sold for them so i figure most of those parts will be NLA within 4 or 5 years.

if we use the 9010 as our model....its been out of production for the US market for roughly 11 years and was a slow seller yet 50% of the parts are still available. more 7900s are sold in any given year than 9010s were sold in their entire production run....based on that alone i would say we have 10 years before anything major starts getting discontinued but makita has surprised me before

I won't be trusting Makita Dolmar again, parts are already very difficult to get
for their products on this side of the water, maybe in eastern Europe where
their market was bigger, but not where I live.
I emailed a dealer I bought a new Makita off, not even an answer, was looking for
filters and an oil pump, this was before I even knew Makita / Dolmar were stopping
the gas saws and before Covid too.

I won't be trusting Makita Dolmar again, parts are already very difficult to get
I emailed a dealer I bought a new Makita off, not even an answer, was looking for
filters and an oil pump, this was before I even knew Makita / Dolmar were stopping

When I bought my first Stihl, someone I trust suggested I look at Dolmar first…said they were incredible saws.

So I had a conversation with the closest servicing dealer. This was years ago…

While talking, was looking around the shop and commented on all the saws apparently in for repair/service and he kind of chuckled and said “we are waiting on parts”… a bit more research and realized…that was (and apparently is still) the “norm” for their products with or without COVID.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

When I bought my first Stihl, someone I trust suggested I look at Dolmar first…said they were incredible saws.

So I had a conversation with the closest servicing dealer. This was years ago…

While talking, was looking around the shop and commented on all the saws apparently in for repair/service and he kind of chuckled and said “we are waiting on parts”… a bit more research and realized…that was (and apparently is still) the “norm” for their products with or without COVID.

Parts are a critical, when you need them you need them, I don't need them
yet, but still can't get them. I was happy with the quality of the saws, I still own
Two EA4300 saws, and 150.00 euros of chains for them, I will sell them when
the demand for parts is even greater, in the meantime I will not use them, and
am looking to replace them with another brand.

Sadly, you may be correct. Cutting trees down may also be outlawed…you know…GloBULL warming and all that…

we will all be running 7hp 150v saws, with a spare battery in our back pocket, and another spare one charging in the ev pickup truck
and the only trees left to cut down will be fire damaged ones :)

we will all be running 7hp 150v saws, with a spare battery in our back pocket, and another spare one charging in the ev pickup truck
We probably won't be allowed to burn trees, so we won't need saws to cut them.
I would like to know what kind of planet saving renewable fuel we will use to charge
all out battery powered planet killing devices.

We probably won't be allowed to burn trees, so we won't need saws to cut them.
I would like to know what kind of planet saving renewable fuel we will use to charge
all out battery powered planet killing devices.
He means all the trees burnt from global warming induced fires.
The media were calling last year's fires in Australia 'the perpetual fire'!

A few months ago I bought Stihl's "most powerful battery saw" with the biggest battery and fastest charger. My little petrol MS170 runs rings around that saw in every important way at a quarter the price. Yes it's good to be able to put the saw down between cuts and it sits quietly and doesn't need a pull start to continue. and just swapping in a fully charged battery when the other is flat etc. BUT my prediction is it will be a long time until any battery saws will be a practical match for the current big 2 stroke saws capable of running bars long enough to cut real trees even if we are only allowed to cut those that fall across roads or houses.

A few months ago I bought Stihl's "most powerful battery saw" with the biggest battery and fastest charger. My little petrol MS170 runs rings around that saw in every important way at a quarter the price. Yes it's good to be able to put the saw down between cuts and it sits quietly and doesn't need a pull start to continue. and just swapping in a fully charged battery when the other is flat etc. BUT my prediction is it will be a long time until any battery saws will be a practical match for the current big 2 stroke saws capable of running bars long enough to cut real trees even if we are only allowed to cut those that fall across roads or houses.
Now you know why I just serviced my Makita DCS 520i that I had not run for nearly five years. It has a Tilly injection carb that needed some attention but I got her going with no parts required. This saw has about the same power as your Husky Rancher and runs like a bandit with an 18" bar. Needless to say. I was sorry to see that Dolmar stopped making chain saws. Here I am looking over a collection of them: Iowa GTG 2012-02.jpg
That was a few years back. Three years later I bought the 520i to complement my bigger 6401.

This.

Parts for the Dolmar/Makita over here in in Europe are getting scarse already and prices on the bay seem to skyrocketing already. Time to get rid of my DCS7300...

Ebay has lots of Makita and other brand of parts well in excess of what Jacks or authorized parts places integrated into the Makita web system. Nothing ventured, nothing gained kind of logic on the listing end and paying for the ease of point and click all billing and addressing neatly cared for on the buyers side.

Now you know why I just serviced my Makita DCS 520i that I had not run for nearly five years. It has a Tilly injection carb that needed some attention but I got her going with no parts required. This saw has about the same power as your Husky Rancher and runs like a bandit with an 18" bar. Needless to say. I was sorry to see that Dolmar stopped making chain saws. Here I am looking over a collection of them: View attachment 923586
That was a few years back. Three years later I bought the 520i to complemWhatsent my bigger 6401.
@Wood Doctor , what is an injection carb, there is a Makita 520 for sale locally, he says fuel injected,
but the stickers only say DCS520, not 520i.

Back