Rivet Spinner & Chain Breaker Brands?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m told that Oregon, Tecomec, and Archer, are identical, aside from the color.

Used to also be sold under ‘Precision Engineering’ (?), and maybe other names. *Does not mean that there are not clone / copycat versions out there*.

Parts are available and interchangeable. Make sure that you get both anvils and take up handles for the set.

IMG_6106.jpeg

Philbert

I’m told that Oregon, Tecomec, and Archer, are identical, aside from the color.

Used to also be sold under ‘Precision Engineering’ (?), and maybe other names. *Does not mean that there are not clone / copycat versions out there*.

Parts are available and interchangeable. Make sure that you get both anvils and take up handles for the set.

View attachment 1157290

Philbert
I was told they were made or distributed by Tecomec in Italy, sold under a lot of other banners and of the same quality no matter what color. Simple strong design and parts hold up to fairly heavy use. My own set has made up 500 plus feet of chain, mostly rolls of ,404 and 3/8" Stihl chisel.

I have the black colored set just like the red ones, they are worth the money in my opinion, have made so many loops and not a worn part yet, have had the set since 2005, parts if needed are still available.
s-l1600.png
I borrowed the pic off an eBay listing, my breaker handle has not been used as a drift punch, my own set is the same black colored one like the ones in the pic.

I'm getting closer to buying a breaker and spinner, maybe those would do!
Just as with a grinder, I would take some old loops and practice a little.

Buy a bunch of presets for the chains you use, so you don’t find yourself in a ‘crisis situation’ where you have to try and reuse things, that, maybe, you shouldn’t.

Several threads on spinning and breaking, including tips: I linked some near the top of this thread.

Also, many YouTube videos.

I learned so much about chains from doing this. And, although, I’ve never made up a loop off of a reel, I have paid for my spinner / breaker set many time over by repairing and resizing chains.

Philbert

I'm getting close to buying a chain breaker and spinner and think for my occasional needs have narrowed it down to two choices and am looking for feedback on which is recommended for the chains I run:
  • 3/8" Oregon Pico: pole and small saws
  • 3/8" STIHL (full height): mid-size saws
  • .404" STIHL: large saw
Choices:
I don't mind spending the apx. $80 extra if it's worth it, but since Oregon products seem to be coming from China the same as Tecomec and green paper isn't growing in "the fertile wallet farm" it makes sense to ask people with experience.

A longshot is a gentleman with STIHL units he  might be willing to part with, though I'm not expectting that sort of bling in my shop.

I'm getting closer to buying a chain breaker and spinner and narrowed it down to two and am looking for feedback on which is recommended for the chains I run:

3/8" Pico: pole and small saws
3/8" (full height): mid-size saws
.404": large saw

Oregon 24548B and 24549B direct from Oregon: $200 + S/H
Tecomec breaker & spinner from eBay: $140 delivered

I don't mind spending the apx. $80 extra if it's worth it, but since Oregon products seem to be coming from China the same as Tecomec and green paper isn't growing in "the fertile wallet farm" it makes sense to ask people with experience.
I don't have the Oregon, but I have the Tecomec and it is great. I believe the Oregon might be made by Tecomec.

Just as with a grinder, I would take some old loops and practice a little.

Buy a bunch of presets for the chains you use, so you don’t find yourself in a ‘crisis situation’ where you have to try and reuse things, that, maybe, you shouldn’t.
Do you have a recommended eBay seller?

(I'll use STIHL presets for non-practice loops)

Do you have a recommended eBay seller?

(I'll use STIHL presets for non-practice loops)
I’ve had very good experiences with this eBay seller. Importer and distributor for Tecomec, Tsumura, and other products.

IMG_6106.jpeg
Note that ‘some’ Oregon, or generic, presets will fit ‘some’ STIHL chains. Some won’t (I know you’ve seen that thread).

So be sure to practice with presets that fit your practice loops. And look for hints and tips in related threads (dab of oil or grease; spin more than you squeeze; break rivets on small pitch chains by alternating, to avoid deformation adjacent parts; etc.).

Philbert

Link to my preset thread, for reference, for others:

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/presets-for-spinning-and-breaking-chain.345609/

OEM STIHL presets have been much more affordable if bought in bags of 8 or 10. Dealer item.

Presets for Oregon (fit most other chains?) are sold by most on-line vendors, but shipping adds cost. Good ‘add on’ item to existing orders, especially, with sellers who use ‘flat rate shipping’.

Philbert

I'm getting close to buying a chain breaker and spinner and think for my occasional needs have narrowed it down to two choices and am looking for feedback on which is recommended for the chains I run:
  • 3/8" Oregon Pico: pole and small saws
  • 3/8" STIHL (full height): mid-size saws
  • .404" STIHL: large saw
Choices:

A longshot is a gentleman with STIHL units he  might be willing to part with, though I'm not expectting that sort of bling in my shop.
go for the Stihl brand if he will part with them
they are heavy duty cast iron and are considered lifetime units

Back