Road Rage and chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The latest chapter in "The Strange but True Adventures of Avalancher." :laugh:

You must've pissed off a gypsy or walked under some awful kind of ladder. Misfortune seems to tail you like a dingleberry on a short n curley leash. Some bad, bad hoo-doo stuck to you like Rosie O'Donnell's spandex after a visit to Curves.

And its apparently contagious, affectling all those you come in contact with like a case of some bovine flu!

Solitary confinement is the only option for you unless you have absolutely zero regard for those whom you hold dear and the greater good of all humanity.

I've often wondered why internet forums draw people that are blind as a bat to sarcasm.

One other important point to remember is that God forbid you ARE ever forced into such a situation, you can bet that the lawyer the dead guy's family hires is going to find every last instance of you joking about shooting a guy for stealing your newspaper over the internet in order to portray you as some sort of sick freak who was simply jonesing to shoot someone. CYA people...

I live in New Jersey and I'm a huge advocate for the right to carry which we currently do not have. The reason? Quite simply, public perception. Change public perception, change the law. Not to mention the issue I pointed to above-which HAS happened enough times in court for folks wishing to have the right to defend themselves to worry about it. Would you really want some stupid comment you posted on the web to come back and haunt you to the tune of 15-20 when all you were trying to do was protect yourself or your family?

I've often wondered why internet forums draw people that are blind as a bat to sarcasm.

For my part, I never do sarcasm.

blind_bat.gif

Personally I would have waited a bit longer, by his truck, to see what the old man was gonna do. If he takes it out and starts waking towards his truck, then he's gonna need an expensive ambulance trip to get him to the hospital. If he's just looking, he's just looking. I've had a number of people stop by jobsites that want to look at some of our saws, people out running, biking, walking with their kids, etc. These things aren't common household tools to a lot of people. Of course, we also have other tree crews that stop and watch us work sometimes, or they stop to check out our saws (since most of them are ported and cleaned up a bit). We've caught a few guys trying to steal them (or vandalize our equipment) and when they get caught, they usually don't have the ability to even try it again for a few weeks if you get what I'm saying. I'm not advocating assault, but clearly the justice department doesn't punish these *&^%er's enough.

The real question I have is why weren't the saws locked up? It takes 30 seconds to lock them in the cab if you don't have a toolbox, and it will always deter sticky fingers. I don't think anyone could get into my Weathergaurd without making a hell of a ruckus. Out of site, out of mind.

The latest chapter in "The Strange but True Adventures of Avalancher." :laugh:

You must've pissed off a gypsy or walked under some awful kind of ladder. Misfortune seems to tail you like a dingleberry on a short n curley leash. Some bad, bad hoo-doo stuck to you like Rosie O'Donnell's spandex after a visit to Curves.

And its apparently contagious, affectling all those you come in contact with like a case of some bovine flu!

Solitary confinement is the only option for you unless you have absolutely zero regard for those whom you hold dear and the greater good of all humanity.

Does that mean you arent going to come down here for a visit?Ah, come on man, the cuttin is good, plenty of white oak laying around.Shoot, I even have a guest house you can shack up in!Aint really worried about a little black cloud are you?

Hmm,never thought THIS topic would turn into an AVALANCHER bashing party.:clap:
And I thought I was nothing more than an innocent bystander!

Misfortune?Nope, I consider myself one of the luckiest guys around.Never been seriously injured, never sick(cant remember the last time I took a sick day)got a great wife, great daughter, make friends where ever I go.Good truck, nice shop, good saws,and a few pennies in the bank.A guy cant ask for any more.Least, I dont anyway.When I die, it will be with a smile on my face.

Last edited:
Personally I would have waited a bit longer, by his truck, to see what the old man was gonna do. If he takes it out and starts waking towards his truck, then he's gonna need an expensive ambulance trip to get him to the hospital. If he's just looking, he's just looking. I've had a number of people stop by jobsites that want to look at some of our saws, people out running, biking, walking with their kids, etc. These things aren't common household tools to a lot of people. Of course, we also have other tree crews that stop and watch us work sometimes, or they stop to check out our saws (since most of them are ported and cleaned up a bit). We've caught a few guys trying to steal them (or vandalize our equipment) and when they get caught, they usually don't have the ability to even try it again for a few weeks if you get what I'm saying. I'm not advocating assault, but clearly the justice department doesn't punish these *&^%er's enough.

The real question I have is why weren't the saws locked up? It takes 30 seconds to lock them in the cab if you don't have a toolbox, and it will always deter sticky fingers. I don't think anyone could get into my Weathergaurd without making a hell of a ruckus. Out of site, out of mind.

Locked up?Well, I guess I dont live that way where I have the need to lock everything up.We werent planning on any extended lunch stops, just fueling up on the way home, and in clear view of the trucks.I have a cable that I run through the handles of my saws that locks on the tiedowns of the bed of the truck if I am going to be out of sight for a bit, and for really long stays away from the truck I lockem in the back seat of the truck with a blanket over em to get em out of sight.
I figure if I have to lock everything up just when I am 100ft from plain sight of the truck, its time to move.Never had a problem before, and dont really consider THIS instance a problem.

I guess I posted this to get some feedback if everyone is this touchy about their saws getting messed with,not a discussion of theft because I truly believe that the old guy meant no harm.

Does that mean you arent going to come down here for a visit?Ah, come on man, the cuttin is good, plenty of white oak laying around.Shoot, I even have a guest house you can shack up in!Aint really worried about a little black cloud are you?

It's not the black cloud, it's the black cats. And the predicaments. Like this one:

Scooter+Update.jpg

Hmm,never thought THIS topic would turn into an AVALANCHER bashing party.:clap:
I'll take any pretext you send my way. LOL!

And I thought I was nothing more than an innocent bystander!
Innocence is in the eye of the beholder, I reckon.

Seriously, I enjoy these threads. Mixin' it up with you is just gravy. :cheers:

It's not the black cloud, it's the black cats. And the predicaments. Like this one:

Scooter+Update.jpg

I'll take any pretext you send my way. LOL!

Innocence is in the eye of the beholder, I reckon.

Seriously, I enjoy these threads. Mixin' it up with you is just gravy. :cheers:

Yeah, and I have to constantly remind myself,"dont take him serious, dont take him serious, dont take him serious.....LOL
Tried to rep ya, but still gotta spread some around

Last edited:
Locked up?Well, I guess I dont live that way where I have the need to lock everything up.We werent planning on any extended lunch stops, just fueling up on the way home, and in clear view of the trucks.I have a cable that I run through the handles of my saws that locks on the tiedowns of the bed of the truck if I am going to be out of sight for a bit, and for really long stays away from the truck I lockem in the back seat of the truck with a blanket over em to get em out of sight.
I figure if I have to lock everything up just when I am 100ft from plain sight of the truck, its time to move.Never had a problem before, and dont really consider THIS instance a problem.

I guess I posted this to get some feedback if everyone is this touchy about their saws getting messed with,not a discussion of theft because I truly believe that the old guy meant no harm.
I think(hope at least) that if he were planning on stealing the saw he would have pulled his truck close, threw her in and got the HE** out of Dodge.
Sounds like a bored old man to me who was looking to tell some stories and shoot the breeze a while.
Still, he should NOT have touched the mans saw without his permission.

i probably wooda reacted like that if he had taken it outa the bed but if he
was just picking it up to feel the weight, well that's another storry. old theive's are pretty crafty and come up with excuses pretty quick. but i wood have waited to see what he was gonna do before pouncing on him like a cheetah wood a gazelle. lol. was your buddy rite? yes and no. i can't
blame him for being pissed off. just lucky he didn't kill the old codger in the scuffle. i had saw's stollen just recently and i spent an overniter in jail over it. got a busted hand and one of em got a busted jaw over it too. but no charges laid. lol. they came back for some more saw's and i was in the garage in the compressor room changing the air filter on my uprite. heard a noise out in the shop and found em huddled behind my mobile bench. 3 crack heads. beat em like a red headed step child.

Wierd, I saw a post exactly like this on here about 2 years ago.

Could be the old guy was curious and could be he was a thief. I wouldn't take a chance. I wouldn't have jumped the old guy unless he took off running with the saw but I would have certainly given him a tongue lashing. I have had saws stolen before and it's a sore spot with me. I had an 044 stolen onetime and I wasn't happy.

I watch my saws like a hawk when I'm at a store or eating lunch. Stopped last summer to put some air in the tire of the trailer we were pulling. My groundman was airing up the tire while me and the rest of the crew went in to the store. The air pump was on the side or the store and as I went in I noticed one of our local "gang bangers" pulling around behind the store with his music bumping but didn't see him come around the other side. I dropped what I was doing and walked back outside to see what was going on. He was trying to shake my groundman down for some cash. I think he was planning on lifting some saws because when I walked out he looked like the cat that swallowed the canary. He didn't have the balls to try to shake me down for money and half heartedly asked my groundman about the money (even though he was in a tricked out cutlass with expensive wheels on it). I told him he needed to let his clutch out and catch a grip. By that time another crew member was coming out and I'm sure he thought better of trying to strong arm us for a saw. He was definitely considering trying to strong arm my groundman though. He gave us a dirty look and moved on. Have to be ever vigilant at stores, restaurants and even on the job. Only takes a minute to lift an unsecured saw and the thieves know that.

Last edited:
As far as I'm concerned, you look with your eyes, not your hands...

Might be that your mate flew off the handle a bit but then again the old guy should, during his long life have worked out that by doing what he did he was laying himself open to the owner thinking he was a thief.

Probably would have been a bit different.

I would have sauntered over there and said something really crude:
"Just what the F&%# do you think you are doing?"

I generally don't start pounding on people...

The rest of the speech would have amounted to a rather loud and informative lecture on NOT messing with another mans stuff. I do keep a eye on my truck when I am parked where there could be sticky fingers.

Now, if I ever catch some lowlife packing my saw off I am likely to beat 2 pounds of stuffing out of them.

:agree2::agree2:

The state needs to yank the old man's driving license. If he doesn't have enough sense to stay away from chainsaws in an unattended truck.......he doesn't have enough sense to drive!

Either that or he is a thief.

When I'm having lunch and saws are sitting in the truck I sit where I can keep an eye on things. I've often wondered if it's illegal to shoot a thief through a restaurant window and what a jury would think if I finished my lunch before going outside to see how the thief was doing.:cheers:

:cheers::cheers::cheers: thats good--

and my reply--chad was correct--as this old man followed them for a ways------------then didnt stop right behind them when they got out to ask about the saw, but waited till they went in----uh huh---he was a damn thief waiting for a opportunity--and slick talked his way out--period!!!!! as one other said--if he walkd towards his vehicle easily, who would have been the wiser----AND----------------try and prove it was yours after he got just a ways from the truck-----i call bs on all off you that accused aval and chad---armchair quarterbacks--hed a got beat as i was flying thru the air at him--

Last edited:
Yesterday I went cutting with a guy that I know, I generally cut by myself but my buddy had run into more than he could handle, and offered a 50/50 split of the wood, namely I would take what ever I could haul if I would knock the trees down.Seemed like a pretty good deal.
Yesterday it poured rain, I avoid cutting in the rain, but what the heck.
On the way home, we noticed this old man keeping pace with us on the highway, he appeared to keep peering in the bed of my buddies truck where he had his saws,I figured he was admiring all the white oak piled up in the bed of the trailer,but couldnt tell for sure seeing as how I was 20 yards behind him in my truck.
We pulled off of the highway to stop for fuel and some much needed grub.After fueling up, we went into the store to pay and get something to eat.I happened to glance out at the trucks and there was the old man leaning over my buddies truck bed.I nudged my friend and pointed and he was out the door like his tail was on fire.Just as he got to the truck the old man was lifting his 044 out of the truck.Realizing some carp was about to happen, I ditched my stuff at the counter and hauled butt for the parking lot.

I have known my buddy for years,but his next action caught me by surprise.he jerked the saw out of the guys hands, put a head lock on em, and took him to the ground.My buddy has always been a calm and level headed guy, and I got to him just as his right fist was cocking back.I got ahold of him, and all three of us ended up on the ground.
After peeling the two apart, the old man rather shakily said he was just admiring that brand new saw with that long bar, and just wanted to look.After seperating the two and making my buddy get in the truck, I talked to the old guy, and I really believe he had no intentions of stealing anything.His truck was on the other side of the parking lot, he would have had a rough time in hauling that saw to the truck and making a get away with all the people there.I explained that saws are not just tools, but become very personal to those who use them a lot, and touching them without permission is much like asking to borrow a guys wife.he seemed truly puzzled.

After the old guy left, we talked it over.Chad(my buddy)assured me that if I hadnt stepped in he would have beaten the old guy half to death, and was convinced he had stopped a robbery in progress.To tell the truth, I couldnt blame him, I feel the same way about my stuff as well,esecially my saws.

Anyone else here feel the same way as Chad?I really dont know what I would have done if it had been my saw,but in all honesty, I tend to think I would have reacted the same way.Better to assume a theft in progress, or take a more calm route?
I wount let the saw out of my site..... i know how it is when you need to go in and get somthing but if there is not someone at the truck i will never leave it.Chad done the same thing i would have done and the only thing on my mind is hes ripping off on SAW! great story

Maybe "Mr. Curious" will think twice in the future before touching someone else's tools. I'm sure if he liked the saw that much he could have waited for the owner to come back. If he did I'm sure your buddy would have let him check it over like a proud daddy likes to show off his kids.:cheers:

Yep Avalancher, I hear what your saying pard. I'm not sure that I would have attacked the guy as your buddy did. But I'd of been out there asking some questions thats for sure. I don't go around hands on other peoples property without permission. I'd of definately been concerned but I don't think I'd of jumped the old guy unless he was doing an Arrowsmith "Walk this way" with it. :cheers:
PS: I'd love some of that white oak!

Latest posts

Back