Roll Call

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our high for the day was at midnight last night. Woke up to 29F with a 25-30mph north wind and freezing rain/sleet. At 10 am the temp had dropped to 24 F and the moisture switched to snow and it has been snowing for 5 hours now. Have had a fire in the insert since morning of November 11th. I am burning black locust and hedge mostly, as that is what I have to cut. Today since we are home, I am throwing in some cottonwood and elm from a cleanup I did for my dad at his house.
Have to keep house quite warm for the infant and toddler. Keep my bedroom door mostly shut so I can sleep without getting too hot.
Going to warm up into 50s - 60s later this week and I will let it go out. I am in southwest OK, near Altus.

Another single digit to slightly below zero night here. Last night at deer camp for me.

Our little propane heater doesn't keep up in this weather so my bedroom is about 50 degrees without auxiliary heat going. But I've got a big comforter covered with an oversize goose down sleeping bag opened up. Awesome sleeping temp.

New house for us this year with an older indoor stove and I've been cooking along two fires a day in western ny since about Halloween...except Tuesday when we just about hit 70. Old house had an OWB and I was able to sneak out 6 truck and trailer loads of my stash onto the new property the week before I moved. Sadly I had to leave at least that much wood behind...but I'm loving the switch to the indoor stove, the OWB was fun to play with but there's something to be said about the instant gratification you get from good ole cast iron heat.

The mini ice age, that will extend from roughly 2015-2035, is officially starting right now. Watch this you tube playlist and weep. Or if you are in the firewood business, raise your prices, cut and stack hard during the summers, and have a really successful business! Actually, I'm hoping this you tube series about this subject is complete nonsense, and Al Gore is still right! I believe Tuesday here in TN we'll see temps in the teens.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL00u99IRraJtn38lgAequUjcZR_uFnkdY

No, not the Zumbro, a little farther north. This is the Cannon, between Northfield and Cannon Falls. Zumbro Falls and Millville are nice area's though.

No, not the Zumbro, a little farther north. This is the Cannon, between Northfield and Cannon Falls. Zumbro Falls and Millville are nice area's though.
I remember that river. We cross it on our way to the cities to visit our sons. We head up on 52 from Rochester. Both of those rivers are pretty.

37 here. Temps been dropping fast! Glad i got this wood cut.
3b200228a64a5db0e972e064fc168d47.jpg

Do you have to stir up the coal? Curious to how long a burn that will last? How do you transport it without getting coal dust all over?

Just something I really never seen.....Thanks in advance.

Oh, It is only 65 in the house right now but a balmy 6 out, -11 with windchill. Hope to be on the ice this weekend!

Do you have to stir up the coal? Curious to how long a burn that will last? How do you transport it without getting coal dust all over?

Just something I really never seen.....Thanks in advance.

Oh, It is only 65 in the house right now but a balmy 6 out, -11 with windchill. Hope to be on the ice this weekend!

That's one of the nice things about coal. Less tending to. Twice a day I will shake the ashes down, dump in a can outside, and refill.
I have the coal stored outside so the black coal dust isn't a problem. It's the white dust from the ashes that needs to be tended too once
in a while.
A nice steady heat that requires air from underneath, hence the spinners on the ash clean out door.

file.php

Kevin

Yesterday and today have been ridiculously cold for this early in the winter. Last night got down to 8 degrees and right now its 10. I've got 3 fans moving heat around the house and I've got the wood stove ripping. It's just keeping up because of the temperature and 20-30 mph winds. Both ponds are frozen over already which never happens this early.

Back