roller catchers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Matt I think I have small not micro/mini spline. WILL be in touch! I buy a bit of chainsaw stuff (started off with the pefect 3 saw plan and ended up with 8 saws and desperately needing another!) sheez I rarely don't have a new/diff saw on my radar. What I value bout your c/saw chatter is that it incorperates REAL WORLD info specifically with aussie conditions.

What I don't know I make up :D The US sourced 261's seem to have small spline rims whereas the Aussie sourced 261's have the mini/micro spline but it pays to check. Benny did some chasing up for me on Stihl's dealer network and all Australian 261's are meant to have mini/micro spline rims on them despite me seeing one with a small spline. Very confusing :(

What I don't know I make up :D The US sourced 261's seem to have small spline rims whereas the Aussie sourced 261's have the mini/micro spline but it pays to check. Benny did some chasing up for me on Stihl's dealer network and all Australian 261's are meant to have mini/micro spline rims on them despite me seeing one with a small spline. Very confusing :(

I'm off to measure mine as i did a while ago. I know its not a very 'conventional' size.

My Australian delivered MS261 spline measures 18 millimeters not measuring the spline grooves just the inner round dimension. 20 mm if you include the spline grooves as well...

My Australian delivered MS261 spline measures 18 millimeters not measuring the spline grooves just the inner round dimension. 20 mm if you include the spline grooves as well...

That's a mini/micro then so I gather your 261 was an Australian sourced saw?

Matt is there any explanation as to why stihl don't make a universal spline rims(1 spline rim fits all 261s)

I've made them out of 3/16" id thick wall copper tubing before. They look nice polished up. I've even made them from wood before. A 1/2" or 5/8" od Oak wood dowel can make a bunch of them. I usually use a 3/16" hole. It holds up way better than you would think and is easy on the chain. Wood, plastic, aluminum... all work great.

Its funny you mentioned wood. I was actually considering it.

Here is a pic of a 460 Roller Chain Catcher...

UI51Pvr.png

-n

Thanks! I'll have to make some out of scrap UHMW we have at the shop.

Matt is there any explanation as to why stihl don't make a universal spline rims(1 spline rim fits all 261s)

Why yes there is and it's pretty simple :D Because every man and their dog started making small spline rims so Stihl could hardly sell any of their overpriced rims. In typical Stihl fashion they made something exclusive to themselves once again to lock customers into buying their gear. There is absolutely no reason they had to come out with a mini/micro spline. The only legitimate reason I can think of is that they "may" have considered a 1/4" rim drive setup being available at some stage so not sure if the small spline diameter suited that or not.

I'll just stick with the "lets rip more people off theory"...

Why yes there is and it's pretty simple :D Because every man and their dog started making small spline rims so Stihl could hardly sell any of their overpriced rims. In typical Stihl fashion they made something exclusive to themselves once again to lock customers into buying their gear. There is absolutely no reason they had to come out with a mini/micro spline. The only legitimate reason I can think of is that they "may" have considered a 1/4" rim drive setup being available at some stage so not sure if the small spline diameter suited that or not.

I'll just stick with the "lets rip more people off theory"...
I thought as much I need to get some rims shortly for my 660 but iam not going near stihl for them not at the crazy prices do you stock 7 pin 3/8 will you be getting anymore 3/8 rs stihl last year I bought a few chains of you last year I will be needing some more shortly

I made my own.

I just bought som threaded aluminum spacers, hex socket screws, and a nylon spacer that fits over the aluminum.
8a7y9e6u.jpg

bepubaqe.jpg

Total cost less than $6

I thought as much I need to get some rims shortly for my 660 but iam not going near stihl for them not at the crazy prices do you stock 7 pin 3/8 will you be getting anymore 3/8 rs stihl last year I bought a few chains of you last year I will be needing some more shortly

I should be getting more RM and RS in this season. Whenever you need anything just give me a yell.

Back