Royal Purple two stroke mix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawinredneck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Can't find the thread now, but I had a few ask about the Royal purple mix I switched over to.
So far it has been great!!! Run about a half gallon through the 046 and 192, and they really seem to love it! I must be fair, I also stepped up to 91 octane also, so that didn't hurt anything. I have noticed easier starting, less smoke and more power. I am mixing just a hair richer than 50:1, I will not go with the 100:1.
Anywho, thats my update for now, so far very happy with this decision.
Andy

That's good news! I have been running Conklin 2-stroke but I am getting ready to use some opti oil because of the price diffrence!

Klotz

I have started using Klotz in my modded saws at 40:1. Only thing that took some getting used too was the smell it puts off running it. Reminds me of the racey smell of my cam-2 racing fuel from the bracket racing days. So far so good running without any problems under heavy use. Is hard to find though, had to order it online, anyone know of stores that carry Klotz?

jack-the-ripper said:
For $14 /qt. around here, I think I'll stick to the Mobil syn.

Check online, you can get ti for around $9.75 a qt, I got lucky and have a buddy that works at a parts warehouse, $8.11 qt including tax!!! Again, not what you know, but WHO you know!!!

Sorry Cut, never even heard of Koltz!?!?!
Andy

Cut4fun said:
I have started using Klotz in my modded saws at 40:1. Only thing that took some getting used too was the smell it puts off running it. Reminds me of the racey smell of my cam-2 racing fuel from the bracket racing days. So far so good running without any problems under heavy use. Is hard to find though, had to order it online, anyone know of stores that carry Klotz?

Try almost any motorcycle store that sells a lot of MX bikes. Klotz seems pretty popular with that crowd.
John.......

Cut4fun said:

I too run klotz. local bike shop has it for $12/qt. better if I buy a case, but never found anyone to go in with me on it. I do not need a case of it sitting around!
-Rlph

begleytree said:
I too run klotz. local bike shop has it for $12/qt. better if I buy a case, but never found anyone to go in with me on it. I do not need a case of it sitting around!
-Rlph

The last time I looked it was only about $35/gal here. Easier on the wallet than buying a case. I looked around on line and it was about $40 but there is two or three variants so it would be hard to know what you need. What I did find odd is the ratios that model airplane folks use. 9-1 is considered very lean. Some guys run 4-1. I guess oil is considered a coolant as well as a lube. They seem to like Klotz also because of the bean oil content.
John...

I agree on the Klotz. Used to run it back in the dirt bike days, but none of the Mx shops carry it anymore.

Nowadays (say that ten times fast, lol) I run Redline 2 stroke. My buddy that owns an Mx shop and builds GNCC quads runs it exclusively. Good stuff. It has a moderate smell and just enough red tint to let you know it is mixed in the gas.

Never heard of klotz. I have been running conklin at $7.95 a quart. I use to run Petron Plus but it shot up to $19 a quart.

I've got five gallons of Opti2 to start using next spring but I only paid $1/quart. An excellent auction find along with a nice opertunity for a threadjack.
John.....

Aren't the MX oils designed for use in water cooled engines?

I would think that the chainsaw oils are specifically matched to the duty cycle and cooling characteristics of an air cooled, small cc engine that's typically run at full throttle.

I run klotz in my Mac hotsaw. A couple years ago, I used up the 1/2 gal left over in my firewood saw. It smells nice for a little while, but after a day of cutting, I couldn't stand it. Even after I switched that saw back to regular 2-stroke oil, the exhaust smelled like castor for a few days. I guess the 16/1 klotz deposited in the muffler, and took a while to burn off.
Scott

Latest posts

Back