Running chainsaws (and other twostrokes) on E85

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well now I think you are understanding. I do not know of anyone who wants to pay more in taxes and fees. That is not really a subject to argue. I do not have an issue with folks driving electric vehicles. I do have a HUGE issue with folks driving electric vehicles on the same roads that fuel burners pay state and federal fuel tax on and not paying one Lincolns head more. I am not 100% sure what the federal tax is but I believe around $0.20 . In Illinois effective July 1 our state tax is $0.39 . Now that is $0.59 a gallon. This is on gas and diesel is higher Now lets think about the guy who drives a truck that get 15 miles/gallon and he drives 20,000 miles a year. I think that is a pretty fair example. That is 1333.3 gallons per year he is pay $0.59 tax on. His total fuel tax is then $786.67. His neighbor drives a EV on the same roads for the same 20,000 miles and pays how much in fuel tax????????????. I guess that EV just floats above the road
In the end, You will still be paying the gas tax, The EV tax that they come up with, The toll charges etc. And you will still be driving on potholes and rusted out bridges.

Everyone pays. If you want to come up with a method for EVs to pay their fair share, without some government thug tracking your movements or requiring yearly mileage inspections, I'm all ears.

If I was King Yota, and it was up to me to decide what would power us for the next 100 years, we'd be building a hundred nuke plants per year and make power meters obsolete.

The reality is that generating power will be like it is now, a mix of lots of things. Coal and natural gas plants, hydro, nuclear, and a smattering of renewables here and there. As home battery banks become larger, cheaper, and more common, decentralized generation using solar panels and whatnot will take over for residential power and EV charging.
You say everyone pays then exactly how?
You say you would build 100 nuke plants. I do not disagree but hey are very close to shutting the nuclear plants down here.

The government mandating EV's is just like all their unfunded mandates NO FORETHOUGHT

In the end, You will still be paying the gas tax, The EV tax that they come up with, The toll charges etc. And you will still be driving on potholes and rusted out bridges.
Well I do not know about tolls as I been in Illinois 50 years and paid less than the cost of cheeseburger in tolls

You say you would build 100 nuke plants. I do not disagree but hey are very close to shutting the nuclear plants down here.

The government mandating EV's is just like all their unfunded mandates NO FORETHOUGHT

You asked what I thought should happen, not what would actually happen.

Note that I don't support EV mandates either. I support people having the choice to drive EV's if they want, or gas or diesel vehicles if they want. My next daily driver commuter will likely be an EV, and that was the plan even when gas was $2/gal.

Yes California is decomissioning Nuclear plants as we speak, And not just taking them off-line, But demolishing them so they can never be used again, Just as the drought is threatening hydro power. As I said earlier, The sun goes down at night and the wind does not blow 24-7. As I also said, blackouts are coming, If you ever lived in Ca, You would know, They are a common thing there already, Because the grid is tied together, When hoover runs dry, It will put a huge strain on the grid.

Another random thought? How are lithium batteries disposed of in a "green" manner. This not a point of argument just a question

So how do you propose to pay your fair share?
Bill it's quite simple, They already have a meter at the charging stations that are on Gas station properties, If they choose to do so, They will install meters on your home charging station and charge you a per kwh tax. But like I said, that would be too expensive so the per mile driven tax is what they are going to do, For all types of passenger vehicle regardless of propulsion system.

So how do you propose to pay your fair share?
This one is two part.

1.) I also have a big block gasser. I'm paying more than my fair share via 9mpg on that monster already.

2.) I don't plan to pay "my fair share" on an EV. That's part of the cost savings, and perfectly legal. Before you cry about it, do you pay more than you legally need to on your taxes, or do you take advantage of every tax loophole and deduction you have available?

Another random thought? How are lithium batteries disposed of in a "green" manner. This not a point of argument just a question
They're recycled. The raw materials are too valuable to just throw away.

They will install meters on your home charging station and charge you a per kwh tax.
Do you really believe that? How do they know where you are charging it? You think anyone with a 6th grade education cannot get around that? Electricity is a science and easily understood. I have an additional service drop to some buildings in my lower feedlot. The power company upped my monthly charge to a $25 service fee and I told them to just come pull the meter. They pulled the meter. Now if I wanted to I could simply just used a pair of electrical gloves, insulated pliers and a piece of 2 gauge wire and short across it and "steal" power with zero cost.

Do you really believe that? How do they know where you are charging it? You think anyone with a 6th grade education cannot get around that? Electricity is a science and easily understood. I have an additional service drop to some buildings in my lower feedlot. The power company upped my monthly charge to a $25 service fee and I told them to just come pull the meter. They pulled the meter. Now if I wanted to I could simply just used a pair of electrical gloves, insulated pliers and a piece of 2 gauge wire and short across it and "steal" power with zero cost.
Most people would comply, There are already people stealing power that don't have EV's, you hear of them getting caught from time to time. People will try a way to get around the mileage tax too.

Also, most homes have a smart meter and knows what is using power. I doubt if you could get away with it.

I'm building a completely off grid solar power system. It'd provide about 30 miles/day range in an EV. That could be un tracked from the charging side.

That's not how it'll be done, though. With built in nav systems in modern cars, the car itself will track how far you're driving on public roads, and report this info to the appropriate government agency directly. It'll be written into law that new EV's must have this feature before they can be sold. Even better, if you don't pay your road use tax, your car won't work anymore.

Even with my touting of EV's, I'll still be keeping an internal combustion powered "stupid" vehicle for a very long time to come.

I'm building a completely off grid solar power system. It'd provide about 30 miles/day range in an EV. That could be un tracked from the charging side.

That's not how it'll be done, though. With built in nav systems in modern cars, the car itself will track how far you're driving on public roads, and report this info to the appropriate government agency directly. It'll be written into law that new EV's must have this feature before they can be sold. Even better, if you don't pay your road use tax, your car won't work anymore.

Even with my touting of EV's, I'll still be keeping an internal combustion powered "stupid" vehicle for a very long time to come.
I think you have hit the nail on the head.

Everyone pays. If you want to come up with a method for EVs to pay their fair share, without some government thug tracking your movements or requiring yearly mileage inspections, I'm all ears.

If I was King Yota, and it was up to me to decide what would power us for the next 100 years, we'd be building a hundred nuke plants per year and make power meters obsolete.

The reality is that generating power will be like it is now, a mix of lots of things. Coal and natural gas plants, hydro, nuclear, and a smattering of renewables here and there. As home battery banks become larger, cheaper, and more common, decentralized generation using solar panels and whatnot will take over for residential power and EV charging.
We are a long, long, long way off from cheap in home energy storage. Last year we went grid tie solar. One of the things veing pushed is the battery bank. Thought ok I like that idea. For an 8 hr back up I would have needed 3 fully loaded generac power cell battery sets. That cost was nearly $30k just for the batteries, and the best part is they expect you will need to replace them in 10 years or so. That's not cheap. Even the inverter came with a 25 year warranty and the panels are guaranteed to be 97% efficient at year 20. Till they come out with a better cheaper, way more compact system the thought of going off grid is a pipe dream.
I will say this much, no electric bill is nice and the system cost per month is half what my old electric bill was.

Latest posts

Back