Rusted stihl sprocket tip bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alabamatriker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was given an 041. Complete saw minus chain. It is by far the dirtiest saw I have ever seen. So much sand under recoil I thought it was locked up. Have done a ton of cleaning and turns over fine. Has good compression so hope to get it going for little money. The bar is rusty and the sprocket is frozen. Any ideas on freeing it up? Really don't want to buy a bar for it. Will be used very little. Will just keep my other 2 041's company. Want it ready to go tho in case it is needed.

Lube it with your favorite penetrating oil, then carefully tap the sprocket using a wood block or brass punch. My guess is it will free up and work well enough for an occasional use saw. I had one come to me recently that was frozen due to rust and it came free with a little coaching.

Mark

Soak it in Evaporust...then see what is left.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Lube it with your favorite penetrating oil, then carefully tap the sprocket using a wood block or brass punch. My guess is it will free up and work well enough for an occasional use saw. I had one come to me recently that was frozen due to rust and it came free with a little coaching.

Mark
This, skidding the tip over a round of wood usually frees it up. Being an older Stihl it 'may' have a grease port, pump it full after a soak. But it's the jolt from hitting some wood that'll get it turning again.

I was given an 041. Complete saw minus chain. It is by far the dirtiest saw I have ever seen. So much sand under recoil I thought it was locked up. Have done a ton of cleaning and turns over fine. Has good compression so hope to get it going for little money. The bar is rusty and the sprocket is frozen. Any ideas on freeing it up? Really don't want to buy a bar for it. Will be used very little. Will just keep my other 2 041's company. Want it ready to go tho in case it is needed.
If it is rusted up , it's toast, even if you do free it up , the bearing surfaces will be pitted & it will fail after some use, probably at a crucial moment no doubt as well.

Back