Rusted stihl sprocket tip bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would try to get the engine running before I got too concerned about the bar just to make sure you are not whipping on a dead horse..
I would go ahead and remove the bar and let the tip soak in used ATF or diesel and then
Remove the muffler and take a peek at the piston for scoring, etc.

I was given a 034 for parts sometimes back that I seen in a auto mechanic's trash bin and asked about it just for parts. I was complete with bar and a like new chain, no parts at all missing.. Mechanic reported it was his, quit running, no start and he checked compression and it was very low so he just bought a new saw.. This saw had accumulated 80-140 weight oil grease and dirt all over, really nasty, plastics faded, looked terrible.
I put on my salvage yard clothes and rubber gloves before even attempting to check the saw. Removed muffler, piston ok, gave the carb throat a prime and it fired on about 2nd pull, checked gas tank, very old gas, flushed and filled, primed and got a promise but would not keep going. Long story short. The pulse tube had come off the rear of the carb barb. I suspect the really good auto mechanic had checked the saw compression with his auto comp gauge not knowing about a low read normal on small cc engines. (I've seen such more than once by unaware people)
One of my favorite go to reliable saws when going to the woodlot now after a good clean-up and replacing fuel and pulse hoses.. (was a diamond in the rough)
I need to keep a heads up check the mechanics trash bin more often.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/media/sprocket-nose-parts.4779/This .325/.050dl sprocket nose came off a 20" D041 poulan bar. It was rusted up solid, and the bars rails are a bit ugly also. It may not last long but it will allow me to test a saw and the 2 chains that it came with.
The center race/disc is .058" thick.
The 24 rollers are .055" thick, .100 diameter
The .325 sprocket is .0475" thick.
I will make 3 new mild steel pins, @.128" and stake the assembly back into the bar.

This bar now works OK, but for how long? It gets a shot of grease now and then.

I'm late I'm sure but if it were me I would put it in my bucket of used oil and let it sit. If you have old transmission fluid that's better.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

I once bragged at my favorite bar/grill that there were very few frozen sprocket tips that I could not get working again. A logger overheard me and the next time I was there he gave me this to fix:
View attachment 864376
Needless to say, I decided never to brag about my repairs at that place again.

Na, thats an original bar option.
Them funny German folk have been inventing "round the corner"stuff for ages........

1604777699704.png

Latest posts

Back