ryobi electric splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get It...Now.

I have one and freaking love it. :clap:

http://media.putfile.com/Ryobi-video

Got rid of the noisy, smelly, hard-starting 20 tonner 5 years ago for a DR Italian-made electric hydraulic splitter. The 4 ton job does easily 90% of the mixed hardwood and the softwood up to 18" dia. And, you can sing :biggrinbounce2: , listen to the dead James Brown or Vivaldi, talk to yourself,.....or :hmm3grin2orange: .
We do 24/7 wood heating, 5-6 cords hardwood/year harvested on site. Plus the DR beast does the +/- 2 cord of soft stuff for the shop and hot tub stoves.:blob2:
What the plug-in can't do, you can with your new mega/monster/Helko/Vario maul, or wedges. Great for your body :blob2:

If I were ever going to get a splitter, it would be a standard gas-powered 20 ton'r. You can split 24" or smaller stuff faster with a cheapy hardware store maul than any splitter, and those electric ones are only good for the small stuff, 18" or less. Grab a maul.

I burn 5-6 cord a year as well, mostly black cherry these days, and haven't dreamed of getting a splitter yet. The biggest blocks I split are 30" or so but even those aren't bad. If I come to a gnarly chuck that gives me too much trouble I pitch it over the bank!

Maybe for my 60th birthday I'll buy a splitter, but that's 20 years from now!

Jim

Hoo Rah

If I were ever going to get a splitter, it would be a standard gas-powered 20 ton'r. You can split 24" or smaller stuff faster with a cheapy hardware store maul than any splitter, and those electric ones are only good for the small stuff, 18" or less. Grab a maul.

I burn 5-6 cord a year as well, mostly black cherry these days, and haven't dreamed of getting a splitter yet. The biggest blocks I split are 30" or so but even those aren't bad. If I come to a gnarly chuck that gives me too much trouble I pitch it over the bank!

Jim

Lead, Follow, or Get Out of the Way James:chainsaw:
Don't sing, huh ?:clap: :clap: Hoo Rah

wahoowad,

The video was impressive. I didn't expect an electric to perform that well. I have a 35 ton (gas) that will split anything I throw at it.

But, as Woodsrover stated, the fastest method is by hand. I use the Chopper 1 Axe/Maul Combo, & I can split even the biggest chunks with ease. Since I don't like to throw any wood away, I save the tough, gnarly, knotted up chunks for the splitter!

Regards, kattcutter

I have an old 20+ ton splitter and I use my maul 90% of the time. Sounds crazy, but I enjoy splitting my hand and I agree its quicker when you have good straight grain pieces. By the time I drag it out and get it started i could have already had wood split. I will pull up to my bilco doors on my basement, thrown the piece off the trailer and split it right there then in the basement it goes. I save the gas splitter for 2 things, elm and those knotty pieces.

Jim

Hey, don't sell yourself short, man. I'm 58 next month, and still having fun splitting. Go for 70!

O.F. Thread

What's this about O.F. agism ? :rockn:
Big guts, beer bellies happen at any age...look around here :rock: . Anyone who cuts for heat, logs, competes in GOL, manages their woodlot, or climbs for a living is in shape no matter how old. Damn, my neighbor is just near slowing down at 81, new implanted hip, and about to go back to cutting his 6+ cord/year along with his 80 Y.O. wife.
We compete with the O.F.'s easily in the 60's plus. Long long ago, my Ft Elgin "facilitator" Master Sgt (sic) re-upped after 20 years just to bust the youngin's ass on the Ranger course. And us hot shots gung-ho's fresh from ROTC.
Times are achangin out there. Look around :laugh:
How about some gut avatars? :jester: :jester:

Hey, don't sell yourself short, man. I'm 58 next month, and still having fun splitting. Go for 70!

Why stop at 70? I am pushing 72 and still going on two artificial hips. Did about 12 cord last season (salvage operation). I have a splitter and it is parked right at my working area - only used for the tough stuff. Out of those 12 cord I doubt that it did more than about 1/2 cord.

Harry K

Why stop at 70? I am pushing 72 and still going on two artificial hips. Did about 12 cord last season (salvage operation). I have a splitter and it is parked right at my working area - only used for the tough stuff. Out of those 12 cord I doubt that it did more than about 1/2 cord.

Harry K

Good on ya! I'll go for 120, then. :cheers:

You old guys are impressive! I'm just shy of 40 and haven't touched a maul since buying a splitter several years ago. Most of my wood is 16"+ and I couldn't imagine splitting by hand is faster than a gas powered splitter. I don't go for speed either. I'm satisfied sitting on a seat with my headphones on splitting all day. I'm actually in a state of depression now since I finished my pile off over the weekend and don't have anything else to split. :(

Back