Sachs Dolmar Chainsaws Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my 153 all put together and running. I got the flywheel off, and the kill wire had broken where it goes through the case grommet. It was difficult snaking a new wire through, but I got it done. While I was in there I noticed that the coil is mounted on a slotted disk, so the spark timing can be changed. Being performance minded, I advanced it almost all the way to give better top end. It ended up with probably about 2 degrees of advance over the way it was. Anybody else play with this? Just wondering what the results were. I will try to get some pics of the completed saw tomorrow.[/QUOTE

Congrats Ambull. Your build is keeping me motivated to complete mine. Hoping a vid will come shortly after the completed pics?? Cant wait to hear how it sounds, and see it all cleaned up with bar mounted. Oh, if you could snap the pics and post the clutch assembly for me to reference to it will be greatly appreciated! Maybe PM me any xtra parts that are lying around and getting in your way for the 153? LOL Thanks!!

Last edited:
about the 2 starters, i can tell you this.

left starter with Dolmar was used on the 152 and early 153(witout chainbrake)

right starter was on the 153 that had a chainbrake.

When the putt these starters on the saws i don't now for sure,so can't tell you.

You can use the 2 starters for the 152/153.

Marco

Dunno about all that Marco,

I have a 153,no chain brake with the later decaled sticker.

A late model 152 with the Cast Dolmar cover.

We can throw it all out the window though, as these cover could be switched very easily.

Bet 166 knows, as he was there to unbox them new.

I prefer the cast one, as the stickers are usually not in great shape and NLA.

I got my 153 all put together and running. I got the flywheel off, and the kill wire had broken where it goes through the case grommet. It was difficult snaking a new wire through, but I got it done. While I was in there I noticed that the coil is mounted on a slotted disk, so the spark timing can be changed. Being performance minded, I advanced it almost all the way to give better top end. It ended up with probably about 2 degrees of advance over the way it was. Anybody else play with this? Just wondering what the results were. I will try to get some pics of the completed saw tomorrow.

Let your fingers be the judge,

I have one that is slotted beyond the stock slots.

Them old dudes like alot of advance.

Good on ya for defeating the governor, but do run her fat.

That 42mm stroke will not like the RPMs for long.

OK here are some pics of the clutch assembly on a 153:

001-20.jpg

002-18.jpg

003-14.jpg

004-16.jpg

the dude has a clutch judging by the pics.

At least thought there was one with a spur sprocket?

the dude has a clutch judging by the pics.

At least thought there was one with a spur sprocket?

Brad had asked me for pics of the clutch, so I figured I would just post them. My Poulan S6000 has a 404 spur sprocket on it.

I don't know of another clutch that is a direct fit. I held a McCulloch SP125 taper clutch up to it, and it seemed that with some machine work it would fit. You would need the proper taper drill bit, and then make a bushing that converts the roller bearing to the metric shaft. Mac clutches are easier to come by. Just a thought.....

Brad had asked me for pics of the clutch, so I figured I would just post them. My Poulan S6000 has a 404 spur sprocket on it.

I don't know of another clutch that is a direct fit. I held a McCulloch SP125 taper clutch up to it, and it seemed that with some machine work it would fit. You would need the proper taper drill bit, and then make a bushing that converts the roller bearing to the metric shaft. Mac clutches are easier to come by. Just a thought.....

Perhaps he just has a spur drum with no guts?

I offered to buy it for parts, but me thinks he's determined to get her going.

all I can offer is;

Be Patient.

OK here are some pics and vid of the completed 153. I added a new oiler button and a new air filter.

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

[video=youtube;fuoo2VGAo4Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuoo2VGAo4Q&feature=youtu.be[/video]

On another Dolmar note, I picked up a cool little CA. Runs great.

006-13.jpg

005-15.jpg

[video=youtube;LMyDoJjXZ_s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMyDoJjXZ_s&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Dunno about all that Marco,

I have a 153,no chain brake with the later decaled sticker.

A late model 152 with the Cast Dolmar cover.

We can throw it all out the window though, as these cover could be switched very easily.

Bet 166 knows, as he was there to unbox them new.

I prefer the cast one, as the stickers are usually not in great shape and NLA.

The only 153 we have here has the cast recoil but this one also has a chain brake. The Jan 1981 IPL of the 153 shows the recoil w/ decal part # 144-112-031. The 152 IPL shows the cast Dolmar recoil part # 144-112-030. I believe the 153 was released in '77-'78 which these saws would have the hand guard. In '81 the chain brake model was released.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I just rescanned this Chain Saw Age reprint for better quality. I had this in here before but it was hard to read.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Back