Safety Gear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny stuff. HBRN is going to be busy for a week finding definitions for all those terms you guys used.

I'm headed for the woods. Gotta practice my posing and wannabe-ing. I just wish I disn't have to get up so damn early to do it. :)

LOL poser....

The worst 4 letter word on this site...."HRBN"

That's "HBRN!". Yer lucky he didn't come by and correct you and then give you a:

downed.jpg

Yes being a wannabe is tough work, my snoodles are black and my ballytaps are badly worn and to top it all I've just run the loader out of derv so an hour later and still can't get it going ! dam air !!

That got the Balluster flange or no?

No, it is of the stringless variety. while everyone knows how tough it is to use a dull fribble, a loose fribble is a danger to itself and others. the problem is, the tension tool, know as a one-way, non-adjustable folding rachet, are fitted to each fribble and are not inter-changeable. Since the demise of the fribble Company, there are loose fribbles in use everywhere, beware the loose fribble, a sudden loss of traction can lead to excessive plunger wear and we all know what that means.

No, it is of the stringless variety. while everyone knows how tough it is to use a dull fribble, a loose fribble is a danger to itself and others. the problem is, the tension tool, know as a one-way, non-adjustable folding rachet, are fitted to each fribble and are not inter-changeable. Since the demise of the fribble Company, there are loose fribbles in use everywhere, beware the loose fribble, a sudden loss of traction can lead to excessive plunger wear and we all know what that means.

oh hell yeah
wait, are we talking about 6 point Mac-T suspensions?

I'm not a true logger like most of you guys but we do log on a smaller scale, when Im cutting or any of my employees, its chaps always,ear protection,eye protection(either face shield or safety glasses) steel toes boots, we always have a first aid kit handy and a water bottle.

Never fill the side rod's lunch box with bar oil... it's bad for your health... ask me how I know... :laugh:

Now back in mamby-pamby-land...

I love cats that can claim all this BS from a keyboard...

Gary

Someone find out where this guy lives, we could hold a fund raiser to have a pi take photos, then we can put them on here and tell the God Father of timber falling and all other aspects of logging to kick rocks. .

Funny stuff. HBRN is going to be busy for a week finding definitions for all those terms you guys used.

I'm headed for the woods. Gotta practice my posing and wannabe-ing. I just wish I disn't have to get up so damn early to do it. :)

Bob, do you mind me asking, just how early you do fire up? If I get the time zones right, I calculate you must wake up just after midnight.

I pull to fire 3-4 o'clock in the morning. That's early enough to make my non-logging friends to think I'm crazy. I know some fellows up here start in the summer in the evening and finish early in the morning. You can basically do that here, because there is sunlight through whole night.

Now it's Friday. My week is already done. I hope you all get out of the woods safe, whatever gears you wear or not, and have a good weekend.

Bob, do you mind me asking, just how early you do fire up? If I get the time zones right, I calculate you must wake up just after midnight.

I pull to fire 3-4 o'clock in the morning. That's early enough to make my non-logging friends to think I'm crazy. I know some fellows up here start in the summer in the evening and finish early in the morning. You can basically do that here, because there is sunlight through whole night.

Now it's Friday. My week is already done. I hope you all get out of the woods safe, whatever gears you wear or not, and have a good weekend.

What I'm doing each particular day and how far I have to drive to work dictates what time I get up. If I'm falling I usually get to sleep in 'til two or sometimes even three in the morning. Most of my falling work is within a two hour drive from my house and we don't start work until it's light enough to see. We work six and a half hours...usually. I usually get home around three or four in the afternoon, work on the saws, sharpen some chains, and unwind. Easy hours.

If I'm running a loader I may have to get up at midnite or even earlier. Loading starts at four and, since everything keys on getting the first round of trucks loaded early, you can't be late. The farthest I'm driving right now to run loader is two hours. Any more than that and I usually camp out. The loader works all day sorting and decking logs and loading trucks 'til the late afternoon. A 12 hour work day is normal and sixteen hours days are not unusual. A lot of loader operators camp out.

Occasionally I drive truck and those days run between twelve and sixteen hours.

If I'm doing some of my contract work, falling roadside snags for the county, I get to really sleep in. Those guys don't like to start work before seven and since I have a crew of them with me all day for traffic control and such I can't start without them. I've threatened to, though.

See now why retirement is looking very good indeed? 45 years of those kind of hours is probably enough.

Last edited:
What I'm doing each particular day and how far I have to drive to work dictates what time I get up. If I'm falling I usually get to sleep in 'til two or sometimes even three in the morning. Most of my falling work is within a two hour drive from my house and we don't start work until it's light enough to see. We work six and a half hours...usually. I usually get home around three or four in the afternoon, work on the saws, sharpen some chains, and unwind. Easy hours.

If I'm running a loader I may have to get up at midnite or even earlier. Loading starts at four and, since everything keys on getting the first round of trucks loaded early, you can't be late. The farthest I'm driving right now to run loader is two hours. Any more than that and I usually camp out. The loader works all day sorting and decking logs and loading trucks 'til the late afternoon. A 12 hour work day is normal and sixteen hours days are not unusual. A lot of loader operators camp out.

Occasionally I drive truck and those days run between twelve and sixteen hours.

If I'm doing some of my contract work, falling roadside snags for the county, I get to really sleep in. Those guys don't like to start work before seven and since I have a crew of them with me all day for traffic control and such I can't start without them. I've threatened to, though.

See now why retirement is looking very good indeed? 45 years of those kind of hours is probably enough.
yup, runnin iron makes for a long day.

45 years of anything is enough. Except politics. They keep hanging on forever until they get elected out or killed or caught red handed.

Operators do long hours. I'm glad I have avoided that. Now as I'm on the forest management, I do 8-10 hours. In a falling job 6-7 saw running hours is just fine.

Well, Bob, I think you're one of the few. Loggers used to wear out early. They considered a 50 years old fellow all done. My mentor died after 36 years in the age of 52. I think a reasonable pension plan is a safety gear too.

Well, Bob, I think you're one of the few. Loggers used to wear out early. They considered a 50 years old fellow all done. My mentor died after 36 years in the age of 52. I think a reasonable pension plan is a safety gear too.

I was ready to hang it up at fifty, too. My wife, my kids, and my creditors didn't quite see that as a good idea. :)

But you're right...you age fast in this business. If accidents don't get you just the abnormal wear and tear on your body will eventually slow you down. When that happens you learn the true meaning of "work smarter, not harder". I know a few guys in their sixties who still log everyday...and a couple in their seventies too. They don't move as fast as they used to but they make every move productive...and smooth. When you watch you'll think at first that not much is getting done because there's none of that frantic flailing about that seems to be the trademark of younger workers. But if you watch closely you'll see that there's a tremendous amount of work getting done in a very short period of time. And done right, too. That's the mark of a real pro.

A couple of years ago I worked on a crew where I was the youngest guy. My falling partner was two years older than me, the guy on the loader was seventy something and the Cat-skinner was probably darn near 80. They referred to me as "the kid". Good crew. And the lunch time stories were the best I've ever heard.

Man I hate getting up early! 05:00 is no problem but anything earlier and I just have a mental block against it. I worked for an old man who used to milk several small herds each morning. He used to get up between 01:30 and 03:30 so he could get the milk to the creamery on time. I could never have done that. I would rather sleep in my truck at the jobsite than get up before 05:00.

My dad used to get us up at 04:30 to go duck hunting and as much as I loved it I hated sitting in a frozen duck blind for an hour in the dark. Oh and I am an early to bed type also.

Latest posts

Back