Saturday a.m. 50cc saw shoot out......new echo cs500, not too bad.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STIHLTHEDEERE

This is Koty
Reaction score
First off let me say that a second here or there,half a pound either way does not matter to me. This was/is a total seat of the pants comparison. The contenders where as follows,all wore 16" full chisel b/c. All chains were new stihl chains. Now for the saws, new cs500p,cs530,ms261,ms26o pro,026 pro, & jonsered 2153c. The new echo feels just like an 026, this new saw is strong,there are only 2 things about it that i have an issue with. The spring assist start, and the plastic clutch cover. It is however, an all mag. Case, an comes w/a roller chain catcher,and exc filter set up. I would say this saw is a little above the norm for echo,it revs quick, it is very compact, it is light. After a couple of tanks we set the max rpm to 14,000,and it was 4 stroking nicely. This was a demo saw, so it had a few hours on it. Echo usually doesn't impress me much, but this is a decent little saw. I would say this saw feels as light as an 026,and very compact. While the 261 was clearly the strongest saw of the bunch, the echo was right there with the others. Other than the 261, not one of these saws was noticably stronger than the others. The 2153 feels the heaviest, with the 261 the bulkiest. In 50cc saws i am not biased, i own and use most models. I can't help but think the saw may be even lighter with a normal recoil set-up on it. I can't honestly say if it is the lightest,but it deffinately feels the lightest,and has perfect balance with a 16" b/c. I ordered 2 of these,one to use,and one i will use for play. I plan on porting it and opening up the exhaust,this will be my first attempt at modding a saw. I figure if i can build up a 5.9 cummins, a saw should not be too bad. There you have it, i don't use scales or stop watches. This is just an opinion from a good ole' wood cutter,and nothing more. P.s., i stumbled upon this saw a new small engine shop just north of me, he had one there for demo only. I went home and got some saws,and we made some chips fly for a couple of hours. No competition, just some good honest fun.

I own a 2153 & 2156, i love them both. Saws in this class are definately what i use the most. Probably 4 to 1. I have a lot of 50cc saws, and they each have good/bad points

he did of course try a jonsered with a cat muffler - not fair at all!.....:d

....but it still shouldn't be heavier than the ms261.....
both of jonsered have been changed to non-cat. Jonsered's are one heck of a solid saw, they just feel porky to me.

cs500p

Did you run it with the stock settings, or did you do the old remove limiters and richen it up a little first?

This question has probably been asked & answered, but is the Echo cs500 an Echo design, or a Shindaiwa?

Spam alert --Does anyone have a good CS520 p&c they'd be willing to part with?

Did you run it with the stock settings, or did you do the old remove limiters and richen it up a little first?
we were able to get a good tune w/the caps on. i would think the story would be different if it was 35 degrees outside.

Liked the way the cs-520 ran and thought they were one of their better saws. If the new 500 is lighter it should be even more popular. I like to be able to feel the compression stroke so I can see where that spring starting would be something to get used to. Thanks for the review.

Liked the way the cs-520 ran and thought they were one of their better saws. If the new 500 is lighter it should be even more popular. I like to be able to feel the compression stroke so I can see where that spring starting would be something to get used to. Thanks for the review.

I wouldn't be surpriced if the 500 really is a rebranded Shindaiwa - but that still isn't good enough!

Already done, but you sort of called me back, just to say so!

The truth are know to hurt some times.......
you mean like you talking about saws that you have no experience with? like i said your one-sided b.s. gets old,same ole thing from you. funny how you nver start any threads here, you troll on in, spread your b.s., and then on to one of the other 3 sites to do the same thing. i changed my ways a long time ago, but you are the same ole' TROLL.

I'd like to see a few more reviews of this saw as they get easier to find. Not a fan of the spring starter gimmick,seems too home owner orientated. I'd like to see one of the saw builders mod one of these. :cheers:

The Echo guys have said it before, but Echo is turnng out great saw these days. What is the 261, a full pound heavier?

light travels faster than sound, that's why Echos appear bright until they start making a noise :msp_sad:

Other than the spring starter, it is a pretty good saw. It will deffinately be one of the lighter 50cc saws. The 261 is plenty heavy,but it is also put together very well,and for that i will take some added bulk. Like i said, all the 50cc pro saws on the market today are great. They all have good and bad points about them. I say when it comes to this class, pick a color you like, and go make some chips fly.

Latest posts

Back