Saw advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigcountry88

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Afternoon all,

New member, and looking for advice on saws. Work for Forestry, and have a background with running saws (mainly Husky 365, 455, and some Stihl). Majority of work done is around a farm, bucking logs for a tree/firewood company, and falling ops/limbing with Forestry.

I’m kicking around picking up my very own saw, and am looking for advice on a solid one that will last. Mainly will be for falling, clearing brush, and bucking pines and some hardwoods if that helps. I’m partial to Huskies, and was told to check this site out for advice. I wouldn’t mind a Pro series, but the price of some of them shock me...

Thoughts?

that would depend greatly on what size wood you'll cut most. if i had to have only one saw :surprised3: it would be a good used 372 (pre x-torq) or a 272. 70cc makes a good one saw plan i think.
Thanks for that. Where could I track one of those down, and what would a good one set someone back? I’m guessing a 20” bar as well?

Afternoon all,

New member, and looking for advice on saws. Work for Forestry, and have a background with running saws (mainly Husky 365, 455, and some Stihl). Majority of work done is around a farm, bucking logs for a tree/firewood company, and falling ops/limbing with Forestry.

I’m kicking around picking up my very own saw, and am looking for advice on a solid one that will last. Mainly will be for falling, clearing brush, and bucking pines and some hardwoods if that helps. I’m partial to Huskies, and was told to check this site out for advice. I wouldn’t mind a Pro series, but the price of some of them shock me...

Thoughts?
+1 on the 70cc my 372s 50 and 52mm big bore
I use them for everything
Why wait i like to get done quick
Not much heavier than my 50 and 60cc
Saw's
I've run up to 28 in bar's on them
Usually 20s we have small tree's here lol

Unless you have four or five saws price should not matter at all. About 50 years ago I bought an old MAC and I really did not have any money, but I scrimped so I could get it. The reason I went out of my way to get a saw was to earn money so I could buy other things. Then 35 years ago I needed a saw that could grind through any thing up to 5' so I plunked down $1,500 on a Stihl and still have it. No matter how I look at it was money well spent. A tool that does the job you need done time and time again is priceless. I try to stay away from Stihl because they just do not give a decent return for the money, but that could mean that a Stihl in your hands might be the best. It does not matter what you spend rather what kind of job can they do for you. Thanks

Wait for the new Husqvarna 572XP to become available. It's priced very aggressively here in Europe and, what's better, is resulting in some pretty interesting deals on the 372XP and 576XP models dealers still have in stock.

Why so big for him guys? 70cc is awesome. He's only doing his first saw and brush, clearing, bucking pine, and some hardwood. 50cc like Stihl 261 or other manufacturers pro versions in that size. Pull 3/8 20" all day light and fun. Would be a step up from saws he has experienced.
I'm with you. A MS261C would be a fantastic solution.

Why so big for him guys? 70cc is awesome. He's only doing his first saw and brush, clearing, bucking pine, and some hardwood. 50cc like Stihl 261 or other manufacturers pro versions in that size. Pull 3/8 20" all day light and fun. Would be a step up from saws he has experienced.

I wanted to suggest a good 60cc saw but everybody here started naming big saws so I felt the need to compensate.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. A 50-60CC is all the saw I feel I would need for now, and with a budget constraint of Around $500 I’ll have to see what is available.

I am partial to the Huskies, based on that’s all I have ran for a while and the ease of maintenance, parts, disassembly, etc. We tend to run Stihls at work, but I always find myself running a Husky, or at least trying to over the Stihl.

Any 50-60 CC Huskies in that range worth anything?

If the Big 2 are a bit on the north side price wise have a look at Domar/Makita 6000 series good performing saws at realistic prices The US market seems to shun them due to dealer network being thin on the ground

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. A 50-60CC is all the saw I feel I would need for now, and with a budget constraint of Around $500 I’ll have to see what is available.

I am partial to the Huskies, based on that’s all I have ran for a while and the ease of maintenance, parts, disassembly, etc. We tend to run Stihls at work, but I always find myself running a Husky, or at least trying to over the Stihl.

You'll want to look at the 545 and 555 for "almost pro" models that are pretty close to your budget. The 550 and 562 are the true pro saws, but a little spendier.

For older models, there's the 346 and the 357. Both great saws. Personally I'd go for a 50cc now and plan on adding a 70cc later. I started with a 60 as a one saw plan, but there's big advantages to having two. If you run saws for work you'll know what I'm talking about. It's not uncommon to pinch a saw, flood a saw, wreck a chain, lose a bar nut, etc. Having a second one to grab is super handy. A 50cc and 70cc is a superb combo. Starting with a 60 is a better one saw plan, but if your want to expand, 50 and a 70 are both pretty close.

If you shop around you can definitely get a 545 and possibly a 550 within the budget. Heck I think they had 562's at one of the state fairs for $475 this summer.

I have 2 590, for the money an excellent buy and no slouch after a muffler mod and carb retune. Only draw back is the bar. Although it’s a 20” bar it only has a 70 dl chain. You would have to switch bars to go with the “standard” 72 dl for a 20” bar.

Afternoon all,

Thoughts?

A 261 is a nice saw but with a 6100 available for $550 (sometimes less!) that's a no brainer for me. Checkout a Dolmar 6100 with a 20' b&c is my advice. It's a 60 cc pro so of course it'll eat the 346, 357 and 261 for lunch.

It does everything for me. 261 price 362 power (better actually).

Latest posts

Back