Saw cleaning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does not work so well for many reasons. Biggest issue is that it evaporates too quickly. For me a good degreaser with a pressure washer gets the job done. What is the problem with using warm or very warm water? Blow off the saw with compressed air to dry a bit a little WD and run it for a couple of minutes. Thanks

I wouldn't. I've seen that stuff chemically melt certain plastics. I wouldn't even risk it getting on fuel lines, oil pump parts, air filter, carb diaphram, etc., etc.

About brake cleaner. Before I retired the maintenance guy was making a repair on my grinder. Used brake cleaner to clean repair. After repair he was watching grind process and saw he had left grease/oil residue on computer control panel. Without thinking he sprayed brake cleaner on screen and control buttons. Wasn’t pretty, had to order a lot of parts!

Simple solution.

Blast saw and parts with compressed air. Most of the crap will disappear. Hit any remaining residue with Simple Green, let it soak for a couple minutes then repeat the compressed air blast. Any stuff still stuck in crevices use a small screwdriver or dental pick to dig it out.

Once clean, I use Meguires Spray detailer to leave a shiny and slick surface. This step makes any future crud build up much easier to remove with just a quick blast of compressed air.

Take Care

That stuff can melt some decals and lettering pretty quickly, so use with care.
Test it on a no show/non important part if PLASTIC some parts it gives them a "crazy paving finish" hot water with a dash of floor cleaner I find works best for me after a blow off with the compressed air gun & again with air to dry.

Has anyone tried one of those portable steam cleaners?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Sounds good, but i would NEVER use it on the saw except for a detached cylinder maybe. They are just way to hot and all decals will come off in a second and youll probably peel paint due to the heat. ZEP SUPER CLEAN and wear gloves because that stuff loves to find small cuts. Lol

Sounds good, but i would NEVER use it on the saw except for a detached cylinder maybe. They are just way to hot and all decals will come off in a second and youll probably peel paint due to the heat. ZEP SUPER CLEAN and wear gloves because that stuff loves to find small cuts. Lol

I use the ZEP Fast 505, great stuff.

4F8AC6C4-F881-4FC2-922E-5DA3FC1F65C9.jpeg
Try one of these to get the hard and hard to get To crud off. Don’t even need chemical....just water.
Just a word of warning....wear a thick rubber/chemical glove, this little bugger cuts bare skin and shreds nitril/rubber work gloves.

Latest posts

Back