Saw maintenance question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattinky

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I keep my air filter clean, chains sharp, bar filed, and the dust cleaned out of my saws - just wondering if I'm missing anything? I read somewhere that you should loosen your chain when not using your saw. why?
Thanks, Matt in KY

The chains stretch when they get hot, and shrink when they get cold. If the saw was stored in a REALLY cold climate the chain could shrink enough to overtighten and stress or stretch. I dont loosen mine, but the saws are never subject to below freezing temps. If I lived in Alaska it might be different.

Cheers

Ian

I happen to live at cold climate area and I don't loosen chains even at winter. I think that pre-streched chains will not get too long during the work. So those are just fine tensioned when cooled back.

Pauli

Cold

It's cold here also. I don't do it. Doesn't mean I shouldn't, but I've never heard of anyone doing it till here. I think it's kinda like the car cover thing, put it on or not??? Makes sense to me, but eh? I never keep my chains so tight that they wouldn't have room to get a little smaller anyways. I think if you keep them at the correct tightness you'll be ok anyways. JMO...:chainsaw:

mattinky said:
.... I read somewhere that you should loosen your chain when not using your saw. why?
Thanks, Matt in KY
It isn't really nesessery, unless you have tightened the chain while hot, during the work session. Then it could harm the crank when cooling off again......:eek:

It is just a good habit, so that you don't forget it the times it is apropriate.

SawTroll said:
It isn't really nesessery, unless you have tightened the chain while hot, during the work session. Then it could harm the crank when cooling off again......:eek:

It is just a good habit, so that you don't forget it the times it is apropriate.

second that, it will only harm the saw if you use a 1m extension to tighten the chain while hot..

mattinky said:
I keep my air filter clean, chains sharp, bar filed, and the dust cleaned out of my saws - just wondering if I'm missing anything? I read somewhere that you should loosen your chain when not using your saw. why?
Thanks, Matt in KY
Dump the fuel out if you plan on not using the saw for a few weeks. Bar oil will be OK to sit for a while.

Tesion

As I said in my last post,chain heats when used causing it to expand.If the chain is good and snug,then when it cools down it will shrink,biting into the sprocket and bar and possibly damaging both.I have seen chain snap from being used to tight then when it cooled down,BANG!!!!!!!

MAintance

Matt,
If you have used the saw in the summer and had to use it in the winter I would think about finding some thinner bar oil. You Kenkian's never know when you may get a snow storm and need the saw.The summer weight oil is great up until about now.Try and locate some Winter bar oil. If you happen to keep the saw in a warm environment then this may due. But trying to poor summer oil out of the jug at around 20 degrees, this could possibly damage the plastic gears in the oiling system.

Latest posts

Back