Saw Recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah!

Congrats on scoring a great saw at a fine price, a saw that will last you a long time. Don't forget your protective gear when you cut!

grats on the find, careful as score like these are often laced with CAD, show us some pics/vid plz that is our only currency and we did help alittle:p:cheers:

Alright, here are a couple of pics for you to check out. She needs a bath but otherwise pretty sweet. No video for a few months, its a little cold here in Denver! Thanks again for the help.

I've been looking on ebay for the Stihl because I have not been able to find a used one in the Denver area yet. The rancher is considered a mid range saw by Husky and looks to compare to the 290. I figured if I buy used, it should be a pro model for longevity reasons.

Evan, my parents live in Grangeville ID, they say the loggers up there are all swear by Stihl.
"Swear by Stihl" They do?

Well, I guess they asked every logger but you!:) I guess they should have gone a little further north. :cheers:

It looks like you fond a gooddeal on that 441. as far as witch brand is better i tell people there all junk. lol

the 441 looks clean and nice. a real commercial grade unit. likely more saw than you need. but it never hurts to have more rather than less most of the time.

you find the big 441 handles pretty well for its size.

as far as stihl,husky,j-red or dolmar. i have run the big three for some time and the commercial units hold up well. i bought a pawn-shop dolmar 6800 a little while back that looked like it had been through hell and back. the old thing still runs like a champ. if newer dolmars hold up like this old one they should be a good saw.

a used commercial saw that is well kept can often be a better buy than a new "consumer grade" unit.

take of the big stihl and it should go a long, long, long time!

Evan

id pic the 026 260 over the rancher. i think its a good comparison

your on the right track. all wite handled stihls are pro saws they dont have to say pro on them

I have always been told this about Stihl's:
White Handle = Pro
Orange = Mid-Range, farm, landscaper
Black = Homeowner, occasional

My question, when you look at Stihl's website there is some overlap in how they categorize the saw, say the 270 & 280 are considered Mid-Range but have the white handle. Same with the 250 having an orange handle in the occasional user class. Are there any specific differences in these overlapping saws? I can say the 270/280 have many nice pro features but the 260 pro just feels professional along with the price. :monkey:

was browsing through the trading post on AS here today and ran across this saw 4 sale.. is this guy a reputable salesman when it comes to selling uses saws and what can anyone tell me about the mods hes done on it it laymans terms.. Im still a newbie..lol.. im a husky guy but if I can get a good deal on a sthl then im all for it.. thanks..

heres the guys username: Jtheo

and the link to the add: http://www.arboristsite.com/pp-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=4150

was browsing through the trading post on AS here today and ran across this saw 4 sale.. is this guy a reputable salesman when it comes to selling uses saws and what can anyone tell me about the mods hes done on it it laymans terms.. Im still a newbie..lol.. im a husky guy but if I can get a good deal on a sthl then im all for it.. thanks..

heres the guys username: Jtheo

and the link to the add: http://www.arboristsite.com/pp-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=4150

Thats no deal there. The ms211 cost $279.95 new, and comes with warranty and local dealer support. Buy a new one.

Thats no deal there. The ms211 cost $279.95 new, and comes with warranty and local dealer support. Buy a new one.

thanks very much for the info on that saw.. cause I was really interested in it but just didnt know if it was worth it or ot and what he was talking about on that mod he done on it...

Back